May be a stupid question about X-FI

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Classic Satch, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I have a X-FI Xtreme Music card and just updated the drivers to the most recent version. However, I can't remember previously having, and don't have now, this sort of menu:

[​IMG]

The only thing that I can access is the standard Audio Console menu which is extremely limited. I have no Task Bar or any other means to fine tune my speakers and/or headphones. Am I missing something obvious here or am I just being a dumbass?

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Double Click on the Volume Bar in the SysTray (not the standard Windows volume thing, but the round thingy) and it will pop up.

The X-Fi XM uses 3 modes, Entertainment, Gaming and Audio Creation mode and the pic you've posted is from the Gaming Mode.

3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I don't quite get what you're meaning. Here's a pic of my desktop if that helps:

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2008-03-23

4. Scythe

Scythe Guest

GPU:
    Asus Rx 480 Strix 08G
    Mind sharing that wallpaper it looks awesome!

5. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
  6. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    What, the console executable is no longer in \Program Files\Creative\X-Fi\Console Launcher\ or wherever it's supposed to be?

For reference, my Auzentech X-Fi's console executable:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Auzentech\Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1\Console Launcher\AZCLu.exe

Just look for it in the creative folder...Chances are there is a shortcut in your Start Menu under \Creative\ as well...

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Oh, I've looked for that already, trust me bro. The console launcher is available but all I get is what you see below.

OK, I installed the MediaSource app as well and got the small icon at the bottom right of my task bar. I double click on it, get the product settings options, click that, and end up right back where I started. This is all I see and can't go any farther:

[​IMG]

I click on the modes option and and all I can do is select one of the three available. That's it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    OK, I figured it out and all I have to say is f*ck Creative. When I updated my drivers, my console launcher and all the other goodies got wiped clean. Creative doesn't have the replacements on their website so I had to dig through closets full of crap to find my original install disc. I kept the newest drivers but had to reload everything else from that disc. What a crock of stupidity! I think that this is the last Creative product that I ever purchase.

9. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Well again I don't know the precise differences between Auzentech X-Fi and Creative... but... I have both consoles

[​IMG]

The one on the right is the AudioCS, the one on the left is the Console Launcher. They share some functions but are independent. At least for my X-Fi I have three separate apps: AudioCS, Console Launcher, and Volume Panel (the taskbar app).

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Well bro, read my previous post. Creative isn't the best company when it comes to following up on it's products or keeping their software suite user-friendly, or in my case, available.

I had a hunch and, almost an hour later, it paid off. I'm up and running but Creative isn't too high on my list of buy-again companies.

I'll probably try the card company that you're currently using. I'm not impressed with Creative's technological follow-up.

11. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I had this problem once, solved by downloading the driver ONLY from creative and using the install disc for the console (as you found out). Not that much of a pain really.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    So you solved it, but just in case, when you installed did you also install volume control, it looks like this

[​IMG]

and u can accesses the mode switcher by right clicking on the icon in taskbar or in this volume control panel
    [​IMG]

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Apparently there's a bug in the newest drivers that will silence rear speakers if you use Creative's master volume control. You have adjust it in Windows instead.

14. Vomit

Vomit Member Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 7970 Vapour-X
    seems creative labs are doing themsleves no favours with the way the treat their customers as far as Vista goes. Pretty hacked off with them to the point i bought a new sound card and have consigned my X-FI to the parts box. needless to say that was the last creative labs product i will every buy of theirs.

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    The idiots are really pissing off the enthusiast community which is not a very bright thing to do. I won't be buying another one of their products unless something drastic changes. They still haven't fixed their crackling/popping issues with the X-Fi's and thousands of people with nForce4 motherboards. I don't have the problem but many, many other people do.

16. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    I remember we used to advise just installing newer X-Fi drivers straight over the old ones (ie: do not uninstall previous ones) so that you keep the 'shiny' apps like the audio console, etc.
    That does assume that you already have those apps installed though.

17. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Yeah, I've learned my lesson. Everything is hunky-dory at the moment but after reading the complaints of many,many customers, I'm going to be looking for other options the next time I upgrade. I've used Creative since the very first SoundBlaster but that's going to change.

18. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Hmmm, just ran across this. It explains my issues perfectly. What a bunch of freakin' douchebags.

http://forums.creative.com/creative...ead.id=116332&view=by_date_ascending&page=222

19. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Yeah satch I already knew about the drive suite thing. Absolute bunch of toss. Why the hell should you pay for the software suite when in theory you already own it once you buy the product....

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    My old XFI Exteme music in my other computer doesnt do the Cracking and poping problem at all. When I had my DFI NF4 I didnt have that problem then.