Do Corsair PSUs have the appropriate connectors for the new Nvidia 98** cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Yellowbeard, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

I believe this is the appropriate section for this post. I hope it is helpful.

Do Corsair PSUs have the appropriate connectors for the 9800GX2?

There is a mechanical issue with the 9800 cards and virtually ALL PSUs. Nvidia has made the locking tab slot on the card narrow enough that most 8pin and most 6+2 pin connectors will not fully snap in. They will work electrically but, the tab will not lock the connector into the slot on the card.

Corsair PSU's will work just fine electrically but you may either have to leave the tab out of the slot temporarily or cut the tab off. Nvidia is supposed to supply their partners with a proper adapter within a couple of weeks to negate the need for this. If you can't wait or if your cable will not work with the tab on it, you can clip the tab off the PCI-e cable. Some users have been able to wiggle or "finesse" the tab into place so this may not apply to all users.

OFFICIAL CORSAIR STATEMENT: If you need to clip the tab on the PCI-e connector to make the connector work with these cards, it DOES NOT constitute a voided warranty.

Any other modifications to the cables or PSU as stated by the warranty terms WILL constitute a voided warranty.

2. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    cheers for that m8, as far as i know though the BFG version comes with the adapter in the case and the EVGA one dosen't.

3. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Q: Do the brand new Nvidia 98** cards have the appropriate connectors for existing power supplies?

A: No :bang:

4. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @Makalu: I think it's the other way around. The 8-plug socket was built exactly to spec by Nvidia but the psu builders figured they could "approximate".

I do hope I won't have any issue when my card gets here.

5. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

Makalu is correct. FYI, there is NO SPEC published by Nvidia or anyone else that dictates the dimensions of these plugs.

6. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    As i said above my m8 bought the bfg version from ccl (it rocks by the way) ans that came with a 6 to 8pin adapter.

7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well i feel like the keywords in my statement are "brand new" vs. "existing". Even if there was an official dimensional spec on paper (and there isn't as Yellowbeard said) I think Nvidia would still bear some responsibility for being aware of reality and ensuring that their new product works in the real world. Not that it does any good to point a finger of blame really...and it's easily solvable...I think it's funny more than anything.

8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I know that it was only an issue with the first release and they've found a solution.

9. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

LINKY TO JONNYGURU.COM

From the post:

So Nvidia's whole "power supply manufacturers aren't following spec" spiel is bunk.

So to summarize.....

PCI-SIG states that the 8-pin receptacle can accept a 6-pin plug, even though it has an offset clip. Strike 1.

PCI-SIG accepts the adoption of 6+2-pin plugs that can accommodate both 6-pin and 8-pin receptacles. Strike 2.

PCI-SIG states how wide the clip can be so the receptacle can accept 6+2-pin plugs. Strike 3! You're OUT!