9800 X2 = $679.99

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by newr, Mar 7, 2008.

1. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    i have taken a moment to step back and i'm finding it rather hard to believe that people are paying $600 for a video card
    i know enthusiasm exists.. but majority is the heart of an industry and the majority isnt capable of purchase.

it doesnt look like much around here on these forums.. but some are UK paid and i know illinois just got a huge minimum wage increase (like a whole $2)

what used to cost me $5 to eat is now costing me $8-$10-$12

sure americans could print more money and make it less valuable and be on par with UK.. it's not a matter of concern unless you're not being upgraded with the rest of the people.

todays $600 is yesterdays solid $450 and i want it to slow down.
    everybody got a $2 raise and all i got was like an extra $20 Per Month.
    (it's great motivation to get a good paying job)

i'm just saying prices have tipped triple and theres no self respect left in our society to increase further.

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Agreed especially since no more CRT being sold and most of monitor are LCD that at least have 1280^1024 resolution, some mid range cards are barely able to keep up with high\med detail with this resolution, not talking about Widescreen.

3. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

This don't mean anything.... The store, VS online is totally different. Believe me, i shop there allot. The online shop is nothing like the store. I saw a product I liked online at outpost, went to my local fryes store and they said they never even had this product in nor will they..... And forget about price matching. Even if you do find something at outpost the same as in store..... They don't honor it.

As a matter of fact the reson why is that outpost.com and fryes inc are too separate entities and don't coincide with each other at all.

As for the card...if in fact this is true, Nvidia can go to where the sun don't shine. They have been the top of the heap for GPU's for awhile now, so they got there chests all stuck out saying we own the market. Well they do at this point and this is why they think they can charge anything and release anything.

Best scenario is the ATI comes out with a killer rig that will deflate the self centered ego that nvidia has right now. Then and only then will we see better gpu's worth there salt.

I for one will boycott this new GPU, not just for price, but for lackluster performance we are all hearing as of now.

And don't get me wrong, im a nvidia fan..... but until ATI really puts the pressure on em, there heads are gonna continue to be stuck up there asses.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  4. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Top of the range kit has always cost a arm and a leg.Im in the uk and when i got my 8800 it cost me £480 when the card launched.That = to $1000 us.My CPU cost £787 = to 1600 bucks.Crazy prices i agree but when you want the best new kit they sure know how to cream us.Only option is not buy it and wait until its replaced by newer faster kit but then we want that and not the old.

5. newr

newr Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI Water Cooled
    For those doubting Thomas...

On the right of the 3870 X2 is the space reserved for the up comming 9800GX2
    [​IMG]

Up close picture of the price tag.
    [​IMG]

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    thats just dumb

7. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    9800 X2? you mean 9800 GX2. .. jesus christ is it that difficult to spell the name of the card right?

8. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Wow well I think that is good enough evidence to be real ;) Although we get it so much worse here in the UK, I'm talking about shops like PcWorld.. £70 for a 7600GS.. no thank you.. Or how about £140 - £160 for an 8600gt ..?

Thank the internet for the internet.. :p And E-Tailers ;)

HyBrId

Well I guess we can all look forward to a possible Guru3d review soon then..? :)

P.s. xD.Fatal, please don't come trolling into a thread, off topic. I'm sure it won't kill you that he missed a letter from the thread title.. He spelt it right in the post he made with the pictures - and I'm sure you have made countless typos in your 22 post life-time..

9. newr

newr Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI Water Cooled
    Look who's talking... YOU can't even spell TruePower right. :bang::banana::)

10. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    showcase empty is why...

[/joke]

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    lol :eek:wned

12. midweskid

midweskid Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  13. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
  14. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    Phantastic. 679$ ?
    Keep it.

So, whos taking the bet, that the G200 will be in excess of 800$ ?
    (Keep it as well)

I'm good.

15. D_worth

D_worth Maha Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    nvidia trying to kill pc gaming lol.

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    ok so $679 for the 9800GX2

would you know how much the HD3870X2s and the 8800GTS 512 are selling at that store (are they more expensive than the etailers and by how much?)

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Pwned!!!!!

And yea xD.FaTaL, don't come here pissin in our yard like that!!

18. xD.FaTaL

xD.FaTaL Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 280
    o wow.. my profile that no one looks at. thanks though, I corrected it unlike you who didnt even fix your typo with 2 clicks of a button and adding 1 letter, jackass.
    :biggun:

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    679 is spelt write
    f that i'd just get two 512gts's for that price.

500$ imho is more than e-nuff

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    xD.Fatal: apparently people DO look at your profile if one person was able to correct it after your first post. and if nobody looked at it.... why'd you bother to fix it? These forums are filled with people who LOVE computers..... why wouldn't we be interested in looking to see what someone has?

And last time i checked..... Thread titles that show up in the forums (i.e. actually browsing through looking at the titles of different threads..... before actually getting to where we are now) can't be changed by just editing the post and changing the title you put. Pretty sure that'd have to be changed by a moderator.

as for the price..... yeah, pretty sure Newegg will wind up having it for less than $679.