4:3 on a Widescreen monitor with Nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Insomniac34, Feb 24, 2008.

1. TekkamanBlade

TekkamanBlade Member

GPU:
    MSI 560ti Twin Frozr
    Same thing happens to me.

2. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Member

GPU:
    512mb XFX Radeon HD4870
    I'll say it one more time, and one last time: Try "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect ratio." I don't know why everyone else in this thread keeps harping on "Do not scale" when fixed aspect ratio stretched as big as possible on your monitor can already be accomplished without messing with custom resolutions.

3. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Hehehe that was funny. At least I hope it was meant as a joke.
    If you cannot see the blurriness in a resolution that is scaled to fit the screen (with or without fixed aspect ratio), then you need to get your eyes checked.

`Do Not Scale` is the only acceptable way to use an LCD monitor, and I wish I could give some useful advice to those that can`t get it to work.

4. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    Sorry attila_gorilla, but I am not of your opinion (and my eyes are checked and OK). I refer and see better games like Starcraft or Diablo or MAME with "NVIDIA scaling with fixed aspect ratio" than "1-1 pixel ratio".

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    You see them larger, I'll give you that. But better? Never in a million years, unless you like blur/bleeding.

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    :bang: Totally the opposite of what the original poster was asking - he doesn't want the screen stretched. :funny:

:nerd: You must be in a huge minority then, crisp clear picture v's blown up disproportionate with poor curvature. Each to their own but maybe you don't fully understand the topic of this thread

7. Shadow=ASP=

Shadow=ASP= New Member

GPU:
    GF8800 GTX 768MB
    Long-time lurker and first-time poster here.
    Thank you for the link.
    It allmost works for me now.
    Its just that I have two monitors (Samsung 226CW) on DVI and I can now select the scaling options but on the secondary display only. The options are still untickable for the primary display.
    What I would like is to have Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio on both monitors or the primary only.
    I'm using 174.16 (modified) and XP32. Perhaps I could change some value in the registry myself if I knew where to look.

edit, forgot to mention I have the monitors set up as Dualview.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Sorry Osamar, I didn`t want to be rude. I suppose scaling is the only option for some really old games that have a too low available resolution.

But if the game itself supports for example a resolution of 1400x1050 or something reasonably close, then that is certainly a much superior option (in terms of crisp picture) than playing with a lower resolution and scaling up.

9. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Member

GPU:
    512mb XFX Radeon HD4870
    Bad word choice on my part, really bad reading comprehension on yours. I specifically stated twice the option name has fixed aspect ratio in it, which to most people means the original aspect ratio.

10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Well I must confess I don't know anything about dualview or have any experience with it so i'm afraid you'll get a 'pass' from me on this one. Maybe someone else can help ?

11. Bounce

Bounce Member

GPU:
    GB GTX 660 oc
    just a note about the monitor itself regarding scaling:

Do not buy one with HDMI input like the hp w2207h.
    The driver will think it's a 1080p TV - scaling works but the output will be in the wrong pixel count, thus you'll never get a correct picture.

To the general understanding, there's pretty much 2 increments of 4:3 aspect scaling:

1. nvidia's and LCD's built-in so called '1:1'
    a lot of tft's can do the black bars left and right and interpolate to full height - alternatively the driver can try this for you

2. real pixel count 1:1, which means black bars all around the picture - this one's the desirable one imo
    Only few monitors support this natively and in theory you should be able to set this via driver regardless of the monitor's capabilities.
    You have to be lucky to get it working irl though.

p.s: for the whole topic we're talking about a mandatory DVI digital connection

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Unless we like looking at a tiny screen... I'll stay with 960x600 in css for now. Oh and "fixed aspect" gives me the same problem.

13. compuguy1088

compuguy1088 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD Radeon 5850
    Actually you got it mixed up. It actually works on XP, but does not on Vista. I've been trying to get it to work with every driver I've tried, it has never worked.

14. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    Fixed Ratio Scaling works fine on my Vista Laptop... Drivers 156.69

15. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    LOL and for me it is the contrary... it works in Vista and WITHOUT THE FIX! (in fact it always works) While in XP it works just with the fix but whenever I watch a video it damn returns to the first option and I have to reapply the fix.

16. mortikaye

mortikaye New Member

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Annoyingly this fix didn't seem to work for me, and I have this same issue irrespective of what drivers I'm using.

The change flat panel scaling options are all greyed out for me.

I may weep openly.

17. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx

In the vista drivers release notes you can read that this is something that will never ever work the way it used to as long as you have a HDCP video card. Apparently this is something to do with Bluray and HDDVD playback. The overscan comp is for a TV out solution and therfore seems to only work when sendigng the signal to a TV. I'd imagine in some situations depending on monitor this may work for a few people.

I have been toying with loading XP on my machine over this and never goign back to vista. I'm not a vista basher. Overall I love it. It really does run excellent for a first yr OS. But this has been driving me nuts for some time.

18. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    I've just tried out "No scaling" with the 1024x768 resolution on my 1440x900 screen and it was just 1024x768 sretched to 16:10 ratio, then resized to be smaller.

So it was like 1024x768 (4:3) was centered and resized to 1024x640 (16:10).

Or in other words as if it was 1024x768 stretched to occupy the whole screen first, then resized to be centered, but keeping the aspect ratio (in this case 16:10). How do I make it change aspect ratio to 4:3 when centered I haven't got the slightest idea.

If I choose "Nvidia scaling with fixed width/height ratio" I get black bars on top and bottom but not on the sides, so it gets even more squashed. It's 1024x768 set to fit at least 1440 horizontally, disregarding vertical pixels.

Win Xp Pro 32-Bit, Driver 174.54.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  19. neothe0ne

neothe0ne Member

GPU:
    512mb XFX Radeon HD4870
    Eh, now that I've moved back to XP I'm having the same problem everyone else is, that fixed aspect ratio and do not scale are stretched out to 16:10 and don't stay in 4:3. I never had this problem with an RCA HDTV I have in the basement, so I'm going to have to assume it's a driver quirk or a problem with my Samsung 19". Really sucks..

20. compuguy1088

compuguy1088 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD Radeon 5850
    I previously said that, but I was definitely incorrect. It doesn't work in Vista for me because of HDCP: my display supports this. On my macbook pro, it can do the scaling.