"Was Windows XP Microsoft's last good OS?" - ComputerWorld (March 1, 2008)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by fcs, Mar 2, 2008.

1. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I believe the issue here is most people are just used to Xp and are not up for change... anyone read "who moved my cheese"?

Change is going to happen so we may as well adapt to it and move on...once your used to something else it won't seem as bad.

2. 3dfan

3dfan Member

GPU:
    gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X 970
    that's the problem dude, i consider myself a vista hater and wouldnt want to use it, but at least, in my city, i cannot find new computers equiped with other OS than vista, so, MS is definitelly making customers to use his vista thing even when many of us don't like and don't need it.

3. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Ya, ya and with the prices in EU, everybody has 4GB of RAM. Plus, you're lucky enough not to have an X-Fi.

Anyway, that's not what I was talking about.

4. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    *grab pop corn*

*watch the show*

:D

anyway running xp on my pc

waiting for sp1 to be released to switch to vista

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    sp1 is already realeased, just not oficially

6. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Says to morfeus02: Pass me that Butterfinger bar please.

*Sits back and watches the show too*

Joe

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    And XP was a spring chicken, right? I remember trying to run that on my father's Pentium III and, indeed, it ran like a dog. It was horrible on that computer. On the other hand though, I have a 5 year old machine running Vista (32-bit) just fine.

I am to the point where I completely tune out most articles blasting Vista and moaning about how the writer of said article had such a bad experience. It's tiring and it reminds me of little children that don't want to change. They cry, scream, moan, and kick their way through change and it's really annoying to come across it. Especially in this industry that is built on change.

8. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  9. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Oh come now, on a P-III machine XP like a dog? Thats just plainly not true. I had a P-III 550 and 512mb ram, running first NON SP1 XP. That was in year 2001-and early 2002. If i recall correctly. It was outfitted with a 40GB HDD and a GeForce2MX. That machine could handle anything thrown at it back then, operating WindowsXP. Frankly i liked XP right from the day it was out, and it was very easy to optimize. The annoying services were easily disabled, and there was no need for daily updates. Surprisingly i didn't even have a problem with drivers, even considering the fact that i didn't have an internet connection to download most recent drivers from internet. So go figure.

Now i have made my third attempt at windows Vista, and this time - X64 SP1 no less. So far it is installed for about 1 week and i am very happy with it. All my games work, all devices are operational (even though i had big trouble getting my SATA DVDRW to work when using AHCI SATA mode). Performance and stability wise i would rate it just a tad higher than XP SP2. And of course all vista extras on top.

10. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    I prefer Vista a lot more than XP. I no longer recommand XP to anyone...

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    So, Vista can run like a dog but XP can't? Great job there at trying to prove your point.

Anyway, yes, a 450MHz P3, 384MB PC100, 40GB, and a Rage Pro 128. It was painful. As was the 400MHz K6-2 I had with 512MB PC133 and a Radeon 7000. That thing lurched, moaned, and groaned. It wasn't until I was on a 900MHz Celeron (P3-based) with 512MB PC133 that XP got smoothed out. Service Pack 2 made it even worse on old hardware with all the new processes. While XP can run on such machines, most people running machines that old aren't going to be tweaking their operating system and it will run like a dog, especially if they add any sort of programs that start with Windows.

You had bad experiences upgrading to Vista. I had them going to XP from 98. Every round someone is going to have problems. What doesn't happen is everyone having problems or everyone being perfectly fine and happy. Even OSX had some nasty hiccups this round and I lost some programs going to Leopard.

12. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Good point Animatrix.

13. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    unfortunately not in italian :(

i'll have to wait :)

14. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

Who did move my cheese? :)

15. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    every os has its problems, nothing is perfect. whether you use xp/vista, its self prefrence however i dont think vista is that bad.

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Vista ATM, is awesome! Peeps would see that if they just opened their eyes and their minds -and for some - their wallets. ;)

17. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Yup, it does advance computing to an unprecedented level.

18. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    :rock: on vista rules....

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    You can get 4GB of DDR2 for around €60 here in Holland, which is located in the EU.

And are we now bringing this OLD X-Fi crap up again? Welcome to begin 2007. :wanker:

Yes, the X-Fi support in Vista x86/64 was terrible when Vista was released, but don't blame that on MS or Vista, but on Creative for lacking good support for X-Fi's. The next thing you will mention in a counter assault will be "Yeah, but no EAX anymore in Vista. Sux for ya, huh?" and let me tell you: ALchemy does a fine job and the're no problems with OpenAL in Vista x86/64.

At this moment X-Fi drivers have matured quite a bit and just as pleased with my Prelude as under XP.

Let's have another flashback:

2001:

"Was Windows 2000 MS's last good OS?", since XP was soooo bloated with all the candy colored buttons. You all wanted to go back to Win98/ME, because XP was a resource hog. Now it's the best, according to the Vista haters (it's "cool" to HATE Vista), since sliced bread.

And don't come whining about "Well, XP is matured. It has been around for 6 years". You are just repeating history and it's becoming lame.

Please note that i run Linux as well (Ubuntu 64 8.04 beta and OpenSUSE 10.3), so i'm not biased towards MS or anyone.

20. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Does the majority of users have 4GB? Were X-Fi owners happy with Vista? My point was that on your configuration it works fine. But it's not what most people have. And besides, which OS doesn't run well on that setup?