9800 GTX revealed photos/specs and it looks garbage

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rich_Guy, Feb 25, 2008.

1. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    no sense in crying over 2/3fps

now 10fps or higher is something worth raising your resolution up a notch for.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You obviously only saw one review, check the rest. While at it pay special attention to when the quality is improved with aa/af.

3. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Even if that 3DMark06 screeny is real, its not that impressive, the CPU score makes up almost 1/3 of the score, drop in my CPU at 2.6Ghz and knock off 1,500 - 2,000 marks (possibly more as it would probably have negative effects on the GPU benchmarks too) then you have 12,000 - 12,500 ... which is still pretty average for many people here...

Although 3Dmark doesn't raelly matter, so that screenshot could really mean very little even it it is/was real...just have to wait until game benchmarks to make a conclusion, as has been stated many, many, many times before...

HyBrId

P.S. With one 8800GTS 640mb a few months back with older drivers:

My E6600 @ 3.2Ghz and single GTS at 660|1550|1050 I got 10,905.. Now in comparison that seems much weaker, but my SM2 and SM3 scores were 5016 and 4919 respectively...which imho doesn't/woouldn't relate to that much of a performance incerase in games...

But then in SLi @ 3.6Ghz and 710|1705|2200 I got 15,801, with 6,715 and 8,176 respectively... with both cards running at

14.2 GPixel/s Pixel Fillrate, 34.1 GTexel/s Texture Fillrate and 88.0GB/s Bandwidth... with 169.28 drivers.. Also whislt runnign both cards at 8x PCI-E lane speed (mobo) and with 20 ROPs, 4 mroe than the supposed 9800GTX specs suggest, but using the older G80 core... I just lvoe technoglogy, but I don't believe the above screen shots are real, so the comaprisons I have made are pretty transparent..

4. Leodie

Leodie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Jeeezz, i really hope its all fake. :(

With my current system i get 13k+ ....

Anyway, if its true i think its time to buy a PS3, lol

5. jabloomf

jabloomf Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I keep saying this but no one is listening. It's easier for AMD/ATI and nVidia to go with either multiple video cards or multiple GPUs per card (and eventually per core, when they can finally go 45 nm instead of 65 nm) to get more performance/$ than to sink R&D money into faster GPUs. It's just the same thing that's happening with CPUs. Within the year, we will be seeing Intel's 8 core CPUs and server boards that can handle two of these octocore CPUs.

Just like with CPUs, the software/drivers will be the main drag on multi-GPU systems. It's bad enough that with SLI you have each GPU alternately render a frame or have each GPU render half the screen. That process doesn't scale up that well. With more than two GPUs, things get even worse, at least for the moment.

There's also another factor at work. The PC gaming market is not exactly going gangbusters. Why waste R&D money during an economic downturn on such a limited market?

Even if the 9800 GTX preview stuff is bogus, the new gen card isn't going to be that much faster than an 8800 ultra. That leaves one with going to either SLI or tri-SLI with the new GTX, or even quad-SLI with the new GX2.

6. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    ive had my 8800's since they came on the market. first time i wont be changing them out after 10-12 months. bout time we actually got our monies worth?

it would be nice if the 9800GTX was a uber card that spit out Crysis, but it's the only game i cant play how i want. so whatever ... but we don't know forsure untill the card is actually in stores.

7. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    EDIT:
    I totally agree, I had my first Asus 8800GTS back in February and it was rock solid then, and still would be, I only went for my new ones since they were gonig for £129 each inc VAT :p I can see them providing me with decent performance for possibly another year??

Or if the new 9800GTX is not much faster than an 8800Ultra or any other current Nvidia or ATI series at the moment then it could push people to go Sli, Tri-Sli or Crossfire(X) with current gen cards in order to save moeny and have greater performance than one 9800 or HD4000 series for probably less...assuming they do not live up to expectations, but they migth surprise us you never know :)

HyBrId

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    This is one reason i went with ATI this time around. 9 series just didnt impress me this time. I liked what i saw in the HD 3870 X2, and love it so far.

Common Nvidia...lets get the G100 going here, this 9 series is just filler.

9. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    while ya'll are complaining i'm still poor and excited that the 9 series will bring the price of the 8 series down.

this 7900gto will probably need upgraded with my next game purchase.

10. Frag-master

Frag-master Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    i hope this is fake :p

11. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Exactly. I thought that exact same thing

12. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Typical...

13. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Its not april fool's day yet.... I mean... What is nVidia doing if those are real specs? Think peoples will buy it just because its 9xxx-card? Peoples owning 8800GTX/Ultra still do not need to change card... That is pretty... unheard of...

Oh, well, next intresting release: Ati HD 4-series.

14. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i bet they aren't releasing the G100 because DX10 is a wash and the G100 will be DX11. i read somewhere theres a good chance we'll see DX11 by xmas?

15. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I was just about to post that. And the vr article says the card has 2 sli connectors but the card in the pic has 1.

this is a single (9600gt)
    [​IMG]
    By unstable_hero at 2008-02-26

this has 2 (8800ultra)
    [​IMG]

pic from the article
    [​IMG]

Thats obviously not a pic of a 9800GTX so the whole article most likely is false.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008

16. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    I don't have as much to say about the 9800GTX itself as I do about that article. The picture looks more than a little fake, and whoever wrote the little blurb just sounded too sure of themself. I honestly don't trust this 'leak.'

17. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    I'm mostly worried about the fact that vr-zone is a reliable source with die-hard overclockers-moders and usually gets cards before their release date.

If true, it's even funny to call a slightly higher clocked G92 as 9800 GTX

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    well i know for sure unless the 9800gtx is way better than my 8800gtx i wont be getting one, so unless i will get atleast 17000+ on my setup in 3dmark06 or gain a min of 10fps in crysis i dont see the point

19. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    More or less mirrors my take on it. NOTHING...repeat...NOTHING has actually been revealed here. Seeing as the actual product isn't even out all of this is nothing but rumor and hearsay to me.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No, as your forgetting, these are still the same old 8800's which don't support Dx10.1, all they've done is changed the first 8 to a 9 in the numbering.

The card does have 2x SLi connectors, you can hardly see the first one as its gold, so hardly shows up, so looks just like a gap, the 2nd one which you can see is green, like on the 9600 GT.