Vista Ultimate x64 RAM question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AllShallPerish, Feb 21, 2008.

1. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Commenting on the bolded part... Here's the issue, certain motherboards will everclock better if all banks are not full. Larger size RAM modules generally have loser timings - so if you have 2x512mb sticks, that ram will have better timing than 2x2gb sticks of the same speed (in MHz). Also, certain combinations of ram, bios, motherboard, etc behave better than others.

I haven't had a lot of different combinations of ram and motherboards, etc, but I have experienced this issue myself. However, in all cases simply tweaking the timings allowed for greater CPU overclocks. When it comes to gaming, ram generally has very little or no effect on fps/performance. So on this front it is a non-issue to me. Certain ram intensive operations can be affected, but I do not use these types of applications/processes - at least not to a point that it bothers me that it may be a little slower as a result of my ram timing/speed.

The most important performance factor for me on my computer is how well games run. And on this topic, I have yet to find ram speeds/timings (within reason) to affect gaming performance.

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Most sales reps don't have a clue what they're talking about. :knock:
    Just make sure the modules match. Besides; systems - like people - are all just a little bit different from each other. You need to have all the components working together. ;)
    There are many variables.

3. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Thanks for the comments guys. I just saw another Guru with 8GB and an E8400 oc'd to @ 4Ghz. Randy, I didn't even notice it before, but you've oc'd your CPU too. I'm not even sure if or how this matters, but I'm curious whether you oc'd your CPU before or after your move to 8GB?

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Both! It didn't make any difference to my 'puter, whether I had 2, 4, or 8. Everything worked - regardless. :bigsmile:
    Oh; I did go into the BIOS and set the Dram Voltage to 2.0, after I installed the 2nd 4 gigs. ;)

5. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Cool, thanks.

This is a pretty interesting issue. I'm wishin' now that I had 2 sticks of 2G rather than 4 of 1 - sheesh, I didn't even realize that until today. Looks like I'll have to shell out for the full 8GB. :frown:

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    A little foresight goes a long way. ;)
    I waited a long time for them to come out with the 4gig modules! I just can't get over how cheap they were (unlike DDR3). :banana:
    $260 (including taxes) for 8gigs. :)

7. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that your 8G is from just 2 sticks, especially after dukedave mentioned the relevance of empty memory slots. That's pretty amazing. (And a wicked deal too!)

8. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    No; the 8gig is 4 sticks - 2gigs each.

9. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. (I guess that would be pretty odd.)

10. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I have also had a fantastic jump in performance with 8GB. System is very responsive and I have had no Vista related issues. My memory usage usually stays at 18-24%. OC has not been an issue with the 8GB. Messed around with it a bit. When I upgraded to Vista I was just going to get 4 GB but then I noticed that the price I paid for 3GB when I had xp was the same as it woudl be for 8GB. Easy to do the math there. I got mine for 230ish. I have been very happy with my newest upgrades.

11. soldier1st

soldier1st Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4250
    you cant force windows to use less pagefile space as windows does not work that way,leaving it to let vista manage it will be your best bet,vista is better in this area than xp(IMHO)on the x64 version more ram is better but under 32bit 3GB is the most u need but once apps are written to use more than 2GB of ram then games will need to be ported to x64 as 32bit cant be extended as it has been extended already,x64 will pick up(it will be the best for gaming as it can handle far more stuff then the 32bit world can and for good reason(u do need to give up 16bit but who uses 16bit now?)

12. this has turned into a very interesting thread... I am going to buy 8gbs of g.skill today I think :D

13. Alright I got my 8GBs of G.Skill installed. I can already tell the difference at first boot.Glad I made the switch.

Only thing is, I can't run the ram as it's advertised... can't get my pc to post at 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 (messed with the voltages, doesnt change anything) probably has to do with my X10 multiplier...

running at 961Mhz(5:6) right now, 5-5-5-15 @ 2.08V, seems good so far.

14. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Maximus Formula have a serious flaw with tRFC memory setting since it won't go higher then 42, and this gets worse with 1000mhz+ 2gb modules, since they really need a tRFC at 50+ to work at default speed.

This is corrected in a new beta bios (v1004), and tRFC is manually adjustable as high as you could ever need.
    My mushkin XP2-8500 2x2048mb would not get even close to default speed on latest official bios, but with the new beta they are rock stable at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v tRFC = 50.....

15. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    This 8GB thing is such an esoteric, anomolous?, issue huh. The odd article about benefits is starting to come out, but it seems skepticism still rules. But, when I compare it to something like Vista 64x (love it), where it was difficult what to believe because often actual users had such different opinions, it's like every single person who's gone to 8GB can actually see improvements.

Cool stuff.....

EDIT: how'd I miss that Maximus Formula info? That's a good thing to know, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008

16. Good to know. Thanks for the info, i'll look into that.

edit: So I updated to 1004, and tried it again. Nope... didn't post. So I figured something else was wrong. I tried to set my FSB strap to something else other than auto and chose 1066mhz instead of the previous 1003mhz and wow it posted. Really weird uh.. 4:3 ratio seems to work fine... I don't know what the other one was. Hopefully it's stable at 1066 2.12V

edit2: nope not stable, gonna have to mess around quite a bit, its a PITA though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2008
  17. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    AFAIK; my board has the same guts as the 'Maximus". I think my CPU is set ~348 and my RAM is at 1036Mhz, 5 5 5 15 2T 2.0V. I could go higher; but, I don't know what voltage to set my CPU to. Its on stock voltage. ;)
    Anyone have 'overclocking for dummies' ? :banana:

18. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Remember that NB volts must be increased a bit for stable 1066mhz ram operation on maximus. There is also a O/C issue with NB, if you set NB volts to low, it will fail in memtest. When it fails, previously stable settings also fails. Seems like it goes out of sync somehow. By setting a low FSB, and high NB volts, you get it in sync again and can set your O/C settings again without errors in memtest.... Always look for high clocks with a little higher NB volts than it will need on a final setting....

19. I have read that i'm not the only one with that problem on the Maximus with 8GBs of ram. My NB is indeed overclocked quite a bit.It's not that big a deal anyways, If it's stable at 960mhz i'm fine with that.

20. orgnlprankster7

orgnlprankster7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512
    after reading this thread i may have to pick up another 4 gigs :) ram is so damn cheap now it boggles my mind that i paid almost twice as much for 2 gigs of ddr in my old comp