Help with GeForce Go 7300

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by Haedos, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Haedos

Haedos Member

Hi, i have an acer aspire 9420 and have had enough of the poor perfomance with vista so i decided to dual boot xp onto it. Finally i got it all working except i havent got the right drivers yet, i need someone to please help get my a driver which will get it working, i don't mind if it is a modified driver, if it makes it perform better then i would actually prefer it :D. Oh yeah, and this is for the xp home edition.

thanks in advance, please get back to me :)

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Try the drivers here, they have every conceivable display adapter listed in their modified .inf file.

3. Haedos

Haedos Member

Thanks, i have not already got a driver installed on this pc btw.

sorry, i am a noob when it comes to drivers and have no idea which driver to pick out of all those that you showed me, do i need to do anything or just download them and run setup

sorry for all the questions but this is the only place that actually seems to help

=) thank in advance

EDIT: oh yeah, also , are these drivers modified? i would like modified drivers if they make the card work faster and perform better.

Thankee :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    They're not modified drivers, they just have modified .inf files so that they will install for any card. Actually, the drivers on there are quite old, I didn't notice that at first. You can modify .inf's yourself, then you can use any driver.

First you have to extract the forceware driver package, then open up nv4_disp.inf in Wordpad.

For the Go 7300 you'd have to add the following lines;

under:

[Manufacturer]
    %NVIDIA% = NVIDIA.Mfg

[NVIDIA.Mfg]

add:

%NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D7.1% = nv4_mobile, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7

under

; Localizable Strings

add:

NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D7.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300"

Save the file and then run setup, it should install without any error message.

The most noticable performance gain will be from turning down the texture filtering quality in the nvidia control panel.

5. Haedos

Haedos Member

ok, i will test this out :)

thanks for the explanation

EDIT: wait, one thing, is there any reccomended driver i should use, one that works better or just a very new one?

which one would you pick...

thanks =)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    To be perfectly honest I have no idea which driver will work best with your 7300, it's an entry level gpu so I think it's more a case of taking a recent driver and turning down the texture filtering quality settings to high performance in the nvidia control panel.

Turning on trilinear and anisotropic optimisation should also help with performance.

7. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    the old 8x.xx drivers are best for go7x00 model cards

8. Syphon452

Syphon452 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896
    ty for this

9. Haedos

Haedos Member

would the 169.61 count as a 8x.xx driver? should i go for that?
    and when i get it, will i need to modify the inf or will it already be done, or will it depend where i download it from

EDIT: Hey, can you please check the screenshot i put up on another thread

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=254474

i get this problem with every driver, i haven't tried the 169.61 yet but ive been getting this "Error" with all the others

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    If you've previously installed iTunes or anything which uses the Macrovision Installer then try this:

- Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
    - Then expand the Services and Applications section and click on Services.
    - On the right-side of the screen, find the entry for InstallDriver Table Manager and double-click on it.
    - Start the service then try running setup again.

If you don't have that service installed then it's probably a registry permissions problem. In this case try searching for 'nvidia' in the registry then give yourself full access for every key it finds. Remember to save a backup of your registry first.

If neither of these work then I'm not really sure. You can try installing the driver manually through device manager but you will lose the nvidia control panel; if the driver does install this way you could install nhancer so you still get the functionality of the nvidia cp.

8x.xx as in version 84.72 for example, 169.61 is far newer.

11. Haedos

Haedos Member

Do you have any idea what the newest 8x.xx driver is? i know i'm asking many questions, and they propably don't have simple answers either, but i am grateful for the wonderful answers that i am recieving.

if there is a driver that you suggest do you know if i need to modify the n4r_disp (or whatever it is called) as well.

thanks =) :whip: (don't ask why i included that)

i know that you might be wondering why i am so stupid that you actually have to tell me an exact driver to download, but i only prefer it like that because i know that i am doing it the right way, and so i can see where i made a mistake if a problem does arise

Thanks =)

Edit: I tried uninstalled the vga hardware, searched for it and detected it again, it asked for a cd to install drviers but i pointed it to the folder containing the setup, n4d_dsp (or whatever it was) and it came up with an error complaining that it could not be installed, do you know how i could get this installtable manager driver please? if not, how i can install it using windows

thank you very much for your patience

Edit: after checking, i realised that i dont have the install table manager in my services, and because it is made by macrovision, the best idea would be to download a macrovision software, so i am currently downloading installshieldpro

its taking about 1 hour 10 minitues because it's big, is this necessary or can i get this service in another way? can anyone please help me out, i dont want this big wait and this big download for no reason

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008