Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

I'm convinced that this card will never see the light of day. When it does become readily available, the driver bugs will still exist for many months. Reminds me of that horrible XFX 7950GT AGP fiasco... man that was such a fast card but what good is it if it's designed to fail?

2. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
  3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Something wrong with that, I got 9592 3DMarks on my system to the left on 3DMark05

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Not sure what you mean by down with AGP, but I do fully support anyone who chooses to remain on the platform and always will.

5. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    Pardon my pun from before.

I was just asking if you still have that AGP 754 system up and running.

6. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Hd3850 AGP 512
    and just what is supposed to be wrong with that? We all know how PcMark heavily depends on the CPU for high points. You got a core2 which is not only 2 generations ahead of mine but I'm running a SINGLE core! On top of that you are using DDR2 memory with DUALCHANNEL, I'm using DDR1 SINGLECHANNEL!

Despite these GREAT differences in technology I almost score the same points as you...something wrong with that? HELL YEA, the HD 3850 ROCKS =)

7. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Sorry to see it go, but no. Built the Rig in my Sig about 7-8 months ago and sold everything in my socket 754 system on EBay to help fund the new one. Only thing I kept from my old setup was the case, power supply, and hard drives. I am proud to say that since building the new Rig, I've finally learned some self control :banana:. I've only changed my video card 3 times since I made the jump. :eyes:

8. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  9. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    the 8.2 does NOT work with the AGP 3850 *sigh*

guess we have to wait for 8.3 next month

10. Postalisback

GPU:
    Nope, no differences in technology really, you do know I'm using DDR1 value RAM (well obviously you didn't and should've read my specs properly), yes it is dual channel, but even so its almost exactly the same as yours.

I got 8,011 with my old ECS KV1 Deluxe motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle 2.0GHz

Also, if you look at the clock speeds of both our CPU's, I don't see why you are getting a lower score than me with a CPU overclocked to 4GHz, even if it is single core, mine is only 2.2GHz and 1MB L2 Cache (which is the same as yours btw), so I can't really understand how that would make sense.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008

11. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Alright, so you got DDR1, my bad. 1st of all DUAL CHANNEL effectively doubles the data bandwith for your system..that's gonna contribute to some points more than me...no? =)

2nd, to compare my Prescott with your Core2Duo just shows me how oblivious you seem to be about hardware and technology in general!

Take a close look at http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1956 and read the WHOLE article...you'll see that clock for clock even the old Willamette (Northwood) core is faster than a Prescott!

And now you might want to take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2795 which covers your Core 2 Duo.

I highly recommend these two articles, it's a good read if you don't know how CPU's differ from eachother (which you obviously don't)

Last but not least, be my guest and post your CPU score from 3dMark, I'm quite curious

12. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Thats because your not overclocking enough, the prescott is a great core but it really needs its clock speed and memory banwidth!

And at postal, I got just over 9k with a p4 in 05 :D

13. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Not overclocking enough? a 3Ghz Prescott running @ 4Ghz with normal Vcore on air cooling seems to be quite impressive for me.

Suffice to say any speeds above 4Ghz with air cooling is suicide with those babies

I think I'm writing this for the 3rd time now, the card has NO OFFICIAL DRIVER SUPPORT yet. It's still running with this fishy self made driver from Powercolor, not even 8.2 is working so far

14. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Another thing just came to my mind. Just to show how synthetic 3DMark is and how much the points depend on the whole system.

I'm running crysis v 1.1 at 1600x1200 and all details set to HIGH! No AA or AF though but still...it's running smooth with no lags.

I'd love to know if you can do the same with your system eventhough you have a higher score at 3DMark

15. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

Lol crysis... played the demo, the game is sooo unoptimized, and apparently the full game is not much better, just a huge tech demo, lot of AI bugs (and the AI isn't very smart or realistic either). I'm glad its sales are low, they deserved it for hyping it up to be the next half life but it turned out to be a turd.

16. Postalisback

GPU:
    Yep, I once had an upside down tank still firing at me, how stupid is that :rolleyes:

@ Benito - Peoples perception of "no lags" is different you know.

17. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Now this is completely off topic but I'll respond anyway.

I take it you never played the actual game and just played the demo a couple minutes after finding out it does not run good on yor pc.

The game has been hailed as the best FPS in videogame history here in europe and IGN gave it a 9.4 out of 10 and Gamespot a 9.5 out of 10!!!

The game is great and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about...sales have been low because you need a bad ass computer to run the game alright.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  18. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Of course each human perceives things different no arguing about that however...the human eye registers motion lags as soon as frames drop below 25fps!

Anything above is just for the hardware geeks to brag about ;)

So honestly I don't give a damn if the game runs at 25frames or 23753245738
    as long as it runs smooth =)

19. Postalisback

GPU:
    Nothing to do with that, I run the game fine on all medium at 1024x768 (smooth 30-70fps), and I have already seen a few bugs in the AI (upside down tank still firing at me for instance)

And don't throw that "human eye perception" argument at me, I've been gaming long enough to notice the difference between 20 and 40fps

Anything below 30fps is NOT smooth, no matter what your opinion on it is, it's the truth.

20. Benito82

Benito82 Member

GPU:
    Do you read what I'm writing at all? I just said you start noticing lag as soon as fps drop BELOW 25 so of course everyone and their mother will notice a difference between 20 and 40 frames =)

Ever been to the cinema? Movies are screened at 25 frames per second. Do you complain about lags and stutters there? Come on now lets be realistic here =)