The Sky is Falling - PC Gaming Rant (from another angle)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ElDiablo2K3, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2008/02/02/the_sky_is_falling/

This is a very interesting article for me because it has kinda changed my opinion on the whole "PC is doomed" story...

What the guy is ultimately saying is that the big corporates are feeding us these stories so we all buy into their fixed platform money making systems...

I hate mainstream stuff in general, which is why I dislike consoles with their dumbed down content for the masses...

Is this guy right?

PS - This is NOT another "PC is doomed" or "PC v Console" thread so calm down... :)

2. Newfgamer

Newfgamer Active Member

yes, that article is dead on.

Mark rein is an idiot, he wants PC gaming to fail the UT3 engine is the max the consoles can do, so his engine will sell on that platform for the next 4 years, on Pc Ut3 has already been surpased. UT3 solded poorly because PC gamers got a rehashed game with a graphics upgrade. Console gamers don't know any better.

Anyone who says PC has no good exclusives is a crack whore:

Stalker
    Crysis
    NWn2 and Mask of the betrayer
    The Witcher (Best RPG of the last 2-3 years, better then mass Effect)

The 360 has what, masss Effect and what? 2007, the PC had the best exclusive lineup of ANY system.

Clear Sky coming soon
    Company Of Heroes and a slew on great Strategy games

Keyboard and mouse is mroe precise, responsive, and allows for much more customization plus Pc gets mods which add loads of value to games,

These reports of PC gamings demise is terrible journalism, and the same propaganda we hear from the PRO console press.

Give me a break guys, the media is a lot of bull and propaganda, mark rein ia an idiot, he says a lot of crazy crap, this is the guy that said Gears PC would have better graphics then crysis.

lets not even get into how mainstream = dumbed down crap. Crap games like kane and Lynch, lost Planet sell on consols because console gamers buy dumb crap.

I take quality, depth of Pc over any console. These figures never include digital downloads, and they compare 1 platform (PC) to all portable hardware and the consoles, seems PC gaming is doing well, it is an enthusiast platform, never was mainstream, thus never sold as well, doesn't stop great games coming out for it, as there is a market, as CDProject, Crytek, Blizzard , GSC gameworld will tell you.

it is scary how our society is becoming like sheep, can't formulate a thought for themselves, brainwashed, believe everything the propaganda machince called the media spews, regardless if it is Rumour, or biased speculaion.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Good article, I am tired of repeating something that says :coffee:

Should be announced in this forum.

4. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Mark Rein is an idiot because their engine sells well? Hell, based on that I could say that you're an idiot.

5. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    I like to think of console games as pop music and PC games as classical music. I'll leave the representation of what that means for you to derive.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well it was the Mark Rein comment that struck me, not the rest of the post. And Crysis a good exclusive? I wouldn't say so. It runs poorly on most systems and sold just as bad as UT 3.

Imo, Crysis is the epitome of "rehashed gameplay better gfx".

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    there is one problem with his article Digital Distributed Games sometimes do need activation like CD Copies. But he states they dont.... but thats its good article otherwise

8. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/02/02/crysis_sells_1m_copies_in_less_than_3_months/1

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51081

Crysis just went platinum the other week - and apparently EA are saying its performed 'higher than expected' I guess its your call whether you think 1m copies in 3 months is good or not?

Compared to a console release i guess its not that great, but i should think for PC's its pretty good.

Oh, and personally, I think crysis is a great game ;)

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    when talking of "sheep"
    i'm willing to bet many of you are becomming hypocrits. not with consoles/pc thing but perhaps with other technologies?

i'm saying we may be enthusiasts with technical details regarding gaming platforms but how enthusiastic are you about say....car stereo's or such things. buy one at best buy and enter an audio enthusiast forum and BAM!, your now the stupid noob who buys the "dumbed" down equipment

same applies for just about anything really, theres enthusiasts for every consumer product and all those enthusiasts have disgust opinions for related alternative products

pcworld- "for the last 10 years, enthusiasts have said PC gaming is dieing"
    you'd think that after 10 yrs and no show that people would stop worrying about it.
    you guys look too much into sales figures

10. gogoboy

gogoboy Banned

Is just that the MASSES are moving away from pc gaming. As the needed hardware becomes costly, less and less are willing to invest in gaming hardware.
    Consoles do not match pc gaming, but value wise they blow pc's away.

Why is it that all the console games are UNDER LOCK and KEY, and the pc software is in the wide open, there sale price is about the same, but there VALUE is way different.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Even if it didn't have anything else, Mass Effect is way more than any RPG on the PC released in the last few years. Yes, Witcher looks silly next to Mass Effect. Hey, I should know, I have both unlike you who never played Mass Effect hehe. Oh, and there's also Lost Oddysey, a great little RPG that PC can only dream about.

Nobody buys consoles to play RTS, sorry...

Consoles get downloads, updates and added content. Not as much as PC games, because they usually take 3-4 patches to get them work properly, but there's always extra content for most of the games.

360 games sell loads more than PC game, it's a fact not propaganda! What's your problem?

12. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    eclap, I think you have missed the point. have you even read the article I linked to in my first post?

it's no the number of console games sold that's in question... :3eyes:

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No, I was reacting to Newfgamer's post. PC games are in demise, and that's a fact. Sorry.

14. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    No , PC game sales are in demise , that's a fact.

PC Gaming in general being in demise is your own personal opinion , and that's a fact.

PC gaming is on the up.Every time someone on college plays a game online on miniclip , newgrounds or any other internet gaming website that is PC gaming. Sure they havnt paid for the privileged but those websites are receiving money via advertising.

PC gaming is changing , evolving. More hours are spent playing PC games than console games.

15. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Don't think he cares much about the topic. He just want to advertise his all superior glorious hallelujah masterpiece divine gift from above so badly. There is a name for it too....

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Really, and why is this, is that because everyone is telling their friends to get a console so they can play witht hem and its really easy etc. etc.

Well sorry if I'm being ignorant here but all it sounds like is people getting really ****ing lazy and just going for the easy option, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who, if they put their time and effort in could learn how to build and maintain their PC no problem.

At the end of the day, PC maintenance really is not something so complex as its made out to be.

Also, I think some people really do exaggerate the cost of PC gaming.

It's us, gamers who have grown up playing great games with very addictive and intuitive gameplay that are suffering now because of these lazy minds. :rolleyes:

17. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No, you don't think...

19. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Thank you for opening the door, now.

I do think, I think about my own interests, which is PC games that offers ME the games I like to play. Games like: Myth, Galactic Civilizations, Imperium Galactic, Civilization, Home world, Total War, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Age of Mythology, Black & White, Company of Heroes, Cossacks, Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gotcha, Balder's Gate, Never winter Nights, Everquest, Sacrifice, so many grate games.

There are allot of us that still want PC and its games to be around. I seriously don`t like fanatics like yourself which keeps jumping into the PC forum discussions, glorifying and advertising the 360 and its games with foam around your mouth. Fencing in all directions defending your own personal preferred choice of games and platform.

You should start to respect that there are other people in this world, with a different taste to games. For all I care you can take your 360 and its flashy mambo jumbo games with shiny pointing dido arrows and stuff it where it belongs while you squeeze it firmly with your sfinkter extern's.

20. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Good article. PC gaming will never die and is on the rise. Not in some games, but the minigames and internet games are booming bussiness these days.
    I used to think I spent a lot of time playing computergames, but my girlfriends sister spends at least 3x as much as me playing games on the internet! (and still good grades in school :p)
    As the technology grows, these little internetgames will become bigger and more complex, luring gamers like me (I mostly like singleplayer RPG's and Spacecombat) to their games when they finally fit my wishes.