Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead

my card cost me £200 just under 6months ago , not a good buy at all :( . decided to sell my pci-e based system and will get one of the 3850's for my agp system , nolonger need a fast system

2. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    my card cost me £130 but i got it cheap of a mate about 6/7months ago. so i dont feel so bad. just annoyed i could of saved another £30-40 which could of gone towards somehing else like food.

3. Quidam67

Quidam67 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    I'm very hopeful these new cards run cooler than my current x1950xt.

Some might find it funny, but I have to have the top off my HTPC case in order to do any hard-core gaming or else the system overheats and I start getting crashes.

So it's not just a matter of getting a faster card -but also one that allows me to keep my case lid on!! :infinity:

ps First post -but have enjoyed lurking and reading everything you guys have to say though.

Cheers

4. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

This card better come out soon, my Pentium M rig is still quite fast, fast enough for me but the video card (x1950pro) that worked for me for the past 6 months is now dying and is holding me back. I just wasted 50 bucks doing a RMA with powercolor and now I'm still working with a dud. Not going to buy Powercolor ever again.

5. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    A bit late with the reply but follow the link, all the info You need.

edit.. Sorry but obviously a particular website isn't liked much around here so I can't put the link in, actually I'll try something else. Replace the w with a v and it'll work, pretty pathetic if You ask me!

http://forums.wr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=52133

You can also fit a 7700cu but I don't think it's necessary, follow the links on the page for some excellent pics, If You go ahead Use some Arctic Silver Paste and don't overdo the screws, as The cpu core could crack, It's a bit of a sloppy fit but Mine has given no problems in over a year. Runs at a max of 50c on a very hot day, as in 30+ degrees C.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

Oh yeah I've managed to fit my zalman alcu (the p4 copper cooler with fins) onto my pentium M rig, it's quite easy to do, drop a bit of arctic silver and make sure it's a snug fit, then slowly screw it on until it's tight but don't over-do it otherwise you could make a crack on the core. Right now my system runs at 44C maximum in a warm room, and can idle at 32-33C. Much better than the 45C idle and almost 60C on max load using the stock adapter cooler.

I still don't know how fast the pentium M is compared to a "modern" CPU like a duo core or something cheap and fast from AMD. But the difference between the pentium M, especially when I overclock it slightly, is night and day compared to the P4 3.0GHZ that I had before. I think there's still a bit of extra juice I can squeeze out of this CPU that the x1950pro could not do, but perhaps the 3850 might be able to.

7. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    I got a question, if I buy the Zalman 7000cu or the 7700 cu? Are both easy to install to my Pentium M or do I have to get some other parts for modification? Which of both would you recommend me?

8. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

I think both are fine, but I have only experience with the 7700CU. There are no mods, you just need 2 long screws and reverse the U bar. Just follow the instructions, it's quite easy, and you don't even need to follow it to down to a tee, just as long as the fit is tight enough you should be okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  9. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    tekheads now have these listed as pre-order , the price is £158.57 including VAT . not as bad as i first thought

10. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Anyone actually got the card yet?
    Is Sapphire's version cooler loud or not?
    [​IMG]

11. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

So which 3rd parties release the better ati cards? By this I mean the better components, not just extra out of the box OC.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  12. josef109

josef109 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT 256MB AGP
    Yeah, I'm waiting to see how the 3850 AGP cards measure up against one another....and who's going to be selling them.....Can't wait to they're available... It'll be my final AGP upgrade....It seems like the Sapphires graphics card will be the more quite card?....based on observation only....

13. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Priced just like the 1950pro agp's when they first came out :D

14. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    That's pretty much what I figured and as aircool mentioned it's in line with what the X1950 Pro costed initially. Without the VAT the 3850 on Tekheads comes to around $260 USD. I paid $299 for the first X1950 Pro (Visiontek 256MB) card which was released in November 2006. Then I paid about $250 for the Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB, 2-3 weeks later.

Nice fan on that Club 3D Model. Guess they've learned a few things since the X1950 Pro AGP cards were released....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  15. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    The club3d one looks identical to the Powercolor, I see they now put a Heatsink across the Digital Voltage Regulator, which I Have gathered caused many problems with x1950's.
    Powercolor is the only one listed by retailers here in Australia with the cheapest being $276 aus.

16. green_meanie

green_meanie Banned

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2&s=775

Just got one of these because I wanted to switch to a core 2 duo. I was able to keep my 7600gt AGP card, PC3200, IDE hard drives, etc...I can upgrade to DDR2, SATA drives, PCI-e down the road. The PCI-e slot is 4x but by the time I buy a PCI-e card I will have a new board. Going from my old CPU to a e6420 gave my system performance a major kick in the ass. Got the board and the e6240 for $270 beans.

17. josef109

josef109 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT 256MB AGP
    I went with an ASRock motherboard, a C2D E6600 processor and a 7600 GT Graphics card and you're right....What a kick ass difference from the P4 524 processor that I had...Check the write ups from:http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2814.
    I'm waiting for these 3850 AGP Cards to become more readily available...Doing 6460 on 3Dmarks 05 and 3417 on 3DMarks06 with my 7600 GT...Those numbers should improve with the 3850....We'll see....

18. gaintbeam

gaintbeam Guest

Are there any known problems like the x1950pro vrm issues with the 3850?

19. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Too soon to tell, but I really wouldn't expect any.

Anyway the issues with the VRMs on the X1950 Pro's were usually a result of improper cooling or poor fitting cooling solutions. The Powercolor X1950 Pro AGP card for example depended on the Accelero's Fan blowing air over the VRMs without the use of a heatsink. Other problems with the X1950 Pro AGP cards tended to be just poor installation of the cooling solution as in no or little contact with the heatsink.

Edit:

Also, just to clarify. The issues I mentioned above with the X1950 Pro's above were not widespread and I'm not condeming the product line in anyway shape or form. I even owned 3 of them. The only problem X1950 Pro I had (twice) was with the HIS ICEQ3 Revision 1 Card with its fancy cooling design. Go figure. :eyes:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  20. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    Are U still down wit AGP honestjohn?:banana: