Overclocked E2160 to 3GHz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Casey, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    I recently received my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. I installed the fan and it is working. The temperatures are nice, 23c idle (reported by Core Temp). But when I try to use Orthos, my computer just restarts. No BSOD, no message, nothing. Just a simple restart. I look in BIOS and it reports 36c as the CPU temp. I don't know what the problem is.

Here are my BIOS settings:
    http://g.photos.cx/00001-b29.jpg
    http://g.photos.cx/00002-acd.jpg
    http://g.photos.cx/00003-990.jpg
    http://g.photos.cx/00001-53f.jpg

2. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    You may get more replies if you fill in your system specs in your profile to the left... :nerd:

If I had to guess, Id say you are simply pushing the CPU too hard.

I cant get an Orthos-stable OC on my 6250 (2.13GHz) passed 2.95GHz (same cooler as you) without really pushing the over-voltage, though YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    Hrm, I did. I guess it didn't save.

4. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    You have to actually click 'save' at the bottom of the Profile page.

5. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    Heh, well I overclocked to 2.4GHz fine on the stock cooler. People have been able to get to 3GHz on stock cooler but I didn't want to push it because my computer isn't out in the open. It's in the computer compartment so I bought a new fan and overclocked to 3GHz and I'd like to get it stable.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Looks like your cpu is underpowered, give the cpu (vcore) a notch or two more power and observe temps (1.375 v), if the time before restart increases in comparison to before or you get a thread failure then it needs more power.

Seeing you started at 1.8 ghz to go any higher the cpu will need relatively more power as you go higher on a marginal basis. You should be safe upto 1.5v but I would not recommend any higher than 1.4v on your current cooling, keep an eye on the temps.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA3H

7. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Like Protocol said, you will need to up the Core voltage while monitoring the temp. Need to keep it below about 60C.
    EDIT: Just check the spec sheet. You processor is only rated to 61C. Best to stay below 55C or you risk a meltdown...

Mine runs right at 50C after Orthos heats things up...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  8. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Mine doesnt really start heating up until I go beyond 1.45, but again YMMV...

9. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    I'm at 1.38125v and Orthos stopped and said there was a hardware failure. :/

10. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    I'm at 1.4v right now and Orthos said there was a hardware failure.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Upto 1.45v is acceptable but only if you can keep the core temperatures below 50 C idle and 65-70 C full load, you can monitor core temperatures using coretemp.

Edit: I assume you have tested thoroughly with orthos upto reaching 3ghz, if so what was your last stable cpu frequency and voltage? You might also need to increase the nb (MCH) and the fsb voltage by a notch or two at such high fsb frequencies.

Also if the time between hardware failure messages is relatively significant then you are going in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  12. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    my 4500 oc's to 2.8 ghz on a stock cooler temps @ 50c load @ 1.35 voltage but when i set to 3 ghz i have to up the voltage to 1.375 and then the temps get a bit to high for me 55/60 @ stockcooler

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Each processor can behave differently, even if their the same. Some have higher headroom and can do a 50% OC easy on stock volts, stock cooler, others cant.

14. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    2.4GHz and I think stock voltage. I don't remember. So should I increase MCH and FSB by 1?

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

yeah increase both by .1 v and see what kind of effect it has but as suggested some cpus will simply not overclock that high, but be very careful about going any higher with these voltages, in particular the mch.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008

16. Casey

Casey Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GT XXX 256MB
    I did. Same result.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

well than if the .1v on the fsb.mch and 1.45v on the core didn't help than last you could try relaxing your memory timings, if that doesn't work/help i'll be content with a little lower oc for safe long term usage.

18. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    A few remarks Casey:
    Set mem divider to: 2.50 (your RAM is 800mhz?)
    Set RAM timings: 4-4-4-12
    Refresh to ACT: 42 (run some tests with 30 first)
    DDR overvoltage +0.2 (2.00v)
    CPU core: 1.365v
    No execute memory protect: Disabled (Enable only on winXP 64 - vISTA 64 with 4 GIGS of RAM)
    The above settings work fine in a similar box like yours.

19. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    M0 stepping are rated for 73c and it took me 1.45v in bios to reach 3ghz and 1.56v to reach 3.2ghz. My chip sucks though so don't expect to have to increase your volts as high as mine for the same results.

20. gone_for_a_six

gone_for_a_six Member

GPU:
    8800GT@stock / 7600GT / XFX 5200
    1.4v on the cpu should get u 3.2 easy

without even touching the mch (unles ur goin over 400mhz)

if it doesent, then mayb u hav a cpu with the "i dont like high clock rates" cache, hardluck :bang: