Whats the best virus protection software?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by GenerationGXX, Jan 28, 2008.

1. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    Hi I have norton anti virus, and it literally sucks, like it blocks all my games and some applications even when i said permit, so i want to search for a new virus protection software i can use that doesn't interfere with my gaming and certain softwares.

Can you guys name the best virus protection software i can use?

thanks!

2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I recently switched from Norton, to Avast, and am very happy with it.It auto updates,and has used many less resources than Systemworks did.Best of all-Free.

3. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    You can also try AVG, lot's of people like it.

4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    NOD32 > AVG > Avast!

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Loads of different options, with just as many people that swear by them...and for the most part, all have their good and bad points.

As a beta tester for several antivirus companies (and firewall companies and .... and...and...) - I would have to go with Kaspersky. From my experience (and that's actually quite a bit seeing as how this is what I do on the side of my actual work) - Kaspersky leads the pack in detection rates, has a small footprint (not as small as a few of the others, even a couple of the free ones) - but, you can install it on more than 1 machine and also get tech support.
    The definitions update constantly instead of once 1 day or week or worse yet, manually...and so far (after 2 years) they've not broken anything (I run in a sandbox when beta testing, but I do use KIS7 on my primary machine all the time)

KAV gets my vote for the best of the best of the ones that I've beta tested! (and I'm *positive* that others will have their 'best of the best' too.)

Psychlone

6. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    Commercial AV: NOD32 > Kaspersky > AVG
    Free AV: Avast!

Commercial suite: Eset Smart Security > ZoneAlarm Internet Security
    Free suite: Avast! + ZoneAlarm Firewall

Main criterias: Detection and resources

7. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    Wah so many different ones to choose, i just want the best one that detects viruses automatically and prevents it from doing any harm to my system, like being able to secure at the same time not being annoying. Btw any of those support windows vista ultimate x64?

8. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    Nod32 Ftw!!!

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    There is no such thing, there is no best "virus protection software". All AV scanners miss malware, all of them. If you think otherwise you are putting too much faith into anti-virus scanners. Just because your AV scanner says some file is clean do not mean the file is clean. It means the scanner did not find anything, so either there is nothing to find, or it simply can't find it. However it can't tell the difference so it says it's clean anyway.

I would suggest you try the software and pick one you like. All AVs on the list below run on Vista x64. Personally i run Avira, it has worked well for me on Vista x64. They also have a suite with firewall if needed.

Avira
    AVG
    Avast!
    NOD32
    Kaspersky

10. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    For the best antivirus, NOD32 and Kaspersky. Kaspersky is simpler to use but NOD32 is more powerful. Both gives you friendly alerts and provide good protection, but NOD32 is more complicated when it comes to Settings. (but both works with x64) Also, NOD32 is lighter on resources. You have to choose between more friendly interface or resources usage. (NOD32 ftw:banana:)

11. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    NOD32 for me all the way also, tried alot of scanners but this 1 is realy good (personal flavor)
    but you got a little problem also
    try to get norton of your comp is P.I.T.A.
    i used it 2 times long time ago and ended up reinstalling windows it just wont get off completely

12. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    I'm surprised noone mentioned Bitdefender... it's said to be 1 of the best along with NOD32 and kaspersky.
    I saw some other day that kasperky failed to pass some known anti-virus aproval so i don't know... i liked bitdefender 9 and i'm using bitdefender 2008 now but 1 thing i don't like in the new antivirus is that they are all "noobyfying" the interface ...like the norton 1 and it sucks... just 4 or something big buttons to fix stuff.
    One thing in bitdefender that i like a lot is that it shows a small status bar in the right lower corner off the screen too see whats your internet and file activity... very usefull. Anyway, i recomend that you go and search around various antivirus reviews and choose the best.

13. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    AVG, NOD32, Kap. BitDefender All good

Personally I have Symantec Corporate for Vista

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Ditch Norton! Go AVG!

15. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    LOL, NOD32 seems so popular here, but the actual fact is, that it sucks in removing malware. It's detection rate is also less than Kaspersky(refer to av-comparatives.org).

I've tried every AV out there, and learned that it's not about detection just... "detection + removal" is the way to go. And a recent test report(detection + removal) suggests:

1. Kaspersky
    2. Norton
    3. The rest - I don't care!

Cheers!

16. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I dont use anything.

No Firewall or Antivirus.

Mainly becuase i know what goes on my comp :)

And i know what websites i go on.

All i need is my Routers Firewall.

17. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Been using NOD32 for a time, but since I switched to Kaspersky Internet Security 7 I'll never ever use something else

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Do you plan on getting infected ? Besides removal means nothing without detection, you can't clean what you can't find.

Cleaning is after the fact damage control, i would never pick my AV based on it's cleaning capabilities. It's a nice added bonus but unless i was cleaning some known infected system for someone i wouldn't care one bit. This is not how i see the AVs role and i have a hard enough time trusting AVs "clean file stamp of approval", talk nothing about them fully cleaning a heavily infected system. This is why you have tools like hijackthis, combofix and so on, AVs often just can't clean the system if it has been rooted deep enough. And honestly for most people the best would be to reinstall, most infection needs some manual work to clean.

But your right about NOD32, Eset needs to get their buts in gear and add more signatures. Heuristics wise NOD32 is still pretty much king so you can make the argument that new malware is still more likely to be found by NOD32 then others with lesser heuristics.

There is also more to this testing business then you might think, readers need to understand what the tests reflect, how the tests are done etc. etc. don't get me wrong av-comparatives is a great source for tests, in my opinion one of the best, but you still need to understand that it is just tests and that you should pick your AV based on more then just one or two tests. Some people jump AV at every test they see, it's a loosing battle don't bother (or just pick Avira :p).

19. Sher-e-Khuda

Sher-e-Khuda Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB
    I said: "detection + removal."

Imo, an AV is still useless if it detects 99%, but removes only 10% successfully. In comparison to that, I would prefer an AV with 80% detection and 40% removal.

And Kaspersky's "detection + removal" is the highest(87%).

Detection is nothing just. You need a balanced combination of both.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have been using AVG Free for years , not a single virus has infected my PC.
    Highly recommended and best of all free.