thinking about upgrading to windows vista

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iceman320, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ndel

Ndel Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7950Gx2 1024 Mb
    Anytime you install a new cpu or motherboard a reinstall is required. You wont be happy of the results if you dont. Swapping out your cpu if your lucky may cause it to boot but be unstable.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    XPL has now lost access to the Operating Systems section until further notice.

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    On behalf of many of us...thank you very much, Finch! :) I'm sure he'll show up again, using another name.

4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Thank you, Finch. He's starting to piss me off lately and his avatar even makes it worse. :)

5. 702Ferret

702Ferret Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gt oc
    I think once you get use to Vista you will not want to go back. Its been even more stable for me than XP SP2. Yes you will need one more stick of ram for it to be nice and smooth-rams cheap right now:nerd: As stated before it would be a good idea to go to Microsoft's website and check your hardware. They have a nifty tool you can download to check if everything on your pc is Vista ready.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    If he's back in the OS section with a new account he's completely banned.
    At the moment its only the OS section for a couple weeks until he learns.

Should wear it like a man.

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I don't mind opinions. Like moab666, he dislikes Vista, but he stays calm and is able to discuss things with other members in a normal way. He's cool like all the others who can start discussions normally, but xpl was always seeking a confrontation and that annoys me to death.

Glad to see him gone in the OS section.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lol, as much as i gripe about vista bashers and xp fanboys when they appear in the wrong threads, i woudlnt be suprised if i'm not far off from a sha-lacking myself
    but hey, some of those people need to be told whatsup, however rude it takes to get it through :)
    those are fine for OS war threads but anywhere else its really wrong

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, it’s really unfortunate that the same people continue to spread the same old crap and possibly deter someone from trying something new. The OP is taking the right approach before making a purchase; do some research and ask people who have tried it.

Simply stating that it sucks or it’s not as good as the previous OS, does little to help. If he could supply reasons why it didn’t work for him; he would be helping out because he may bring an issue to the attention of the OP.

10. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    so if I upgrade my ram to 4gb will I be able to play games?

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Mate, you can play games fine with 2GB of RAM on Vista.
    And you probably will for a little while yet, but keep in your mind to upgrade to 4GB at some stage, or at least with your next computer use 4GB. (Depending on how often you upgrade)

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    How about me, Finch? Am I going to be okay with games?
    I don't want there to be any doubt! :banana:
    Actually, Photoshop CS2 just flies now and multitasking is so smooth - it's scary!

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Na, yours sucks. =P

Nice rig btw.

14. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    xpl is gone hmmmm think it would of been more fair if they both were gone but oh well

15. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Thanks, Finch. It has certainly evolved over time. A Q9450 (or whatever it is) and the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750W and my new rig will be finished and I can sell off my old (not that old) one, which will have my current Q6600 installed. :bigsmile:

16. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Hell man it will run fine..... i just tossed my mom a rig together with stuff I had laying around the house.....

Its a P4 3.6 with 2 gig of ram...... I tossed in one of my keys for Vista Business for her and it runs great...

Mind you, its no gaming machine...... To run things of todays standards, but it does run well for the things she uses it for....

It gets a 2.3 score in ratings with the onboard graphics card brining it down, but the rest is 4.2

Ill toss in a cheap card and bring that score up easily.....

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

Great Job Finch.......... It will be nice to visit posts without his negative condescending comments.

18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I have an older machine that I installed one of the copies of Home Premium I got with the family deal for Ultimate. It's specs are as follows:

P4 s478 3GHz (Prescott)
    Abit VT7 (amazingly it has complete support in Vista even though it is so old!)
    2GB DDR400
    7600 GS 512

And, for what it is, it runs Vista quite well. Gaming is possible at up to 1280x1024 fairly comfortably. Documents, music, movies, and internet fly on it of course. I'd say if you just upgraded to 2GB you'd be fairly comfortable on Vista and indeed go with 64-bit.

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Nah! You need at least 16GB's!! Don't expect any good performance out of that rig. ;) /jk :p

Anyway, any program will run just fine on that monster of yours. ;)

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I won't need 16gigs until I get my Octicore; will I? ;)