thinking about upgrading to windows vista

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iceman320, Feb 4, 2008.

1. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    ok guys so I know that windows vista has been out for a while now and I have been thinking about upgrading my sister's computer with a core2 duo processor from my computer so I can get me a new core two duo. and I was going to put vista on her computer. but I have some questions how is it, which version do I need, and does microsoft have all the bugs worked out of it yet? she will most likely be using the computer for all her itunes stuff. getting online, and gaming occasionaly. any help would be great thanks.

2. Ndel

Ndel Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7950Gx2 1024 Mb
    Vista Home premium or Vista Business should suffice, I have had no problems with compatibility issues. Also SP1 is being released very soon so it should work out some of the bugs.

3. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I second that for HP or Business. As for the bugs, the only way to find out is to give it a try. The results around here seem to be very mixed; but in the last couple months people seem to be adjusting to it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    If you want the complete package go for Vista Ultimate, but Home Premium is great for most users/gamers. Also go for 64-bit, since the driver support is getting better each day and it handles 32-bit apps just as fine as the true 32-bit version.

I hope this helps.

5. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Just make sure all the hardware you buy is Vista ready - check on the MS site.
    Go for the 64bit of whatever version you buy.

6. iceman320

iceman320 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 6600GT agp card
    so what parts of my computer would I have to replace to run vista?

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
  8. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Everything im afraid.:behead:

9. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

Well more ram is a must. Under 2 GB and any version of Vista seems slow. I just over the weekend upgraded to vista ultimate 64. Did a complete format and install in about 15 minutes. I was blown away by how fast it installed. Got it up and running with driver updates and the usuall updates in about an hour. So far its running great. I had 1 issue with 3dmark06 giving me a BSOD, but i fixed that. If I had any complaint with Vista so far it would be they changed the names of things. Example add/remove programs is now Programs and Features. It takes a bit to get used to the new look.

So far Vista ultimate 64 rocks. Boots in half the time my xp system did, all games i have installed work. GOW had issues, minor ones. All software i have installed works with no issues. I am getting a q6600 and 8GB of Ram on Tuesday.(Total price 380 US!)

1 thing i did notice is that my FPS minium seem to be higher than on XP. COH totally maxed out on xp min was 17 now its 24. Nothing else had changed.

Get some new ram and go for it!!

10. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    He can run vista on what he has now. With out more ram it would be slow as hell. My wife got a new laptop in Dec with just 1GB ram. It sucked. Got her 4 GB ram for it. Problem solved. Vista can and will run on older hardware, you just need alot more ram.

11. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    2GB RAM are a must for Vista, asides from that you may want to upgrade your GPU if you plan to play some newer titles (not Vista related).

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    ...and another happy customer! Pretty soon, there won't be anyone left to bash us! :rock:

13. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
    You will love your Q6600, mine runs wonderful with my Vista 64Bit Ultimate, looks like another fresh install however with your new hardware upgrade....

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    There's no way in hell, I would even consider installing Vista on that rig - it would be a total waste and just piss him off and produce yet another Vista hater!

15. xpl

xpl Guest

It's not an upgrade dood. :D

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Were'nt you asked to cease and desist? Are you really that braindead? Or, perhaps a bit psychotic! You probably think your post is...oh, so subtle! :knock:

17. xpl

xpl Guest

I would be braindead if I buy newest hardware when it comes out and using Windows Vista and thinking that I made a huuuuge upgrade. :D

18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Mods: Surely it's time to give this XPL guy the boot! He's done nothing but bash Vista and waste everyone's time, since he's been here! :bang:

19. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

It depends on what he wants to use Vista for. With 2GB or more of ram his computer will handle non gaming apps good. You do not need a $5000.00 dollar computer to run office and word. If he is using it to check email and surf the net, he is good to go with 2GB or over. I also have Vista basic 32 on an p4 2.8 with 3GB ram. My kids use it and my wife does office type tasks with it. No complaints.

20. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

I have to do a fresh install just for a CPU? That sounds like BS. I have already switched out a few things(RAM, soundcare, a few HDD) with out any trouble. Hope I do not have to do a full clean and install agian had the computer up 24/7 since Sat reinstalling/downloading all of my stuff! (Crosses fingers)