Do you floor the accelerator in your car often?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by UG_PL, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Halidonhill

Halidonhill New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512 X2
    Just depends on which car I'm driving that day. If I'm in my RAV4 then not usually. If I'm driving the Corolla S then yeah I'm in the floor a lot. Lots of nice curvy roads here in Oklahoma to play on. If I'm in my Tacoma ('08 4x4 Double Cab 6 speed Manual V6) then no I don't. It burns gas too quick when you stomp on it. It's hella fun in the mud though. It does handle surprisingly well for a truck and it's surprisingly quick.

2. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    of course i floor my accelerator

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I really don't agree with letting people on the roads at that age. I think 16-18 minimum, fair enough for a farm let them get a license for just on private roads, but shouldn't be allowed on public roads at that age.

4. Halidonhill

Halidonhill New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512 X2
    I can't say I disagree with it. I've been driving on public roads for farm reasons since I was 14 and I live in Oklahoma. Never had an accident till I was in my 20s and that was a deer jumping into the side of my wife's Corolla. Nothing says responsibilty like a 14 year old in a '78 Ford pickup with a 3 speed manual transmission driving a trailer with 6 round hay bales on it down a state highway :)

5. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Yes, practically every time I drive my car... I burn rubber almost on a daily basis too... I'm sorry if some think this is retarded, but I really could care less. I own a 2006 Mustang GT, and that is exactly what it is designed for (burning rubber!)

Once or twice a year I find the max speed of my car. I always speed when traveling - but usually just cruise control 9-10mph above the speed limit.

We have these signs all over the place that say "Beware of aggresive drivers" - Every time I see one I say, "hey another sign just for me!"

Downside: I get 12-15mpg. I have to buy at least two new tires once a year (at $200 a piece). I beat the crap out of my car which will cause it to be crap in a year or two. I'll need a new clutch before the warranty is expired.

Upside: It's fun as hell! It's called "Fun Money" - i.e. the cost of the gas, tires and maintenace...

I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years, but I did get a warning for reckless driving a few years ago (in my prelude) when I took a turn WAY too fast, and I didn't see the cop.

The only thing I feer is other drivers being stupid. So, I don't go too crazy unless I am completely away from any other drivers. And I also don't go too crazy if I have any one in my car with me. I'll do burn-outs and accelerate hard, but I couldn't live with myself if I got anyone hurt or god forbid killed. So I only do these things when it's my own safty I am risking.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I floor it when I need to drive 100 km/h on roads :/

Sucky Nissan Sunny -86

7. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Every chance I get a red->green and it's clear ahead, I do 0->Limit as fast as my car can without damaging it.
    Actually, I specifically purchased my particular car to do just that.

Unfortunately, this is the U.S.A.. Life can't happen without a car. Distances are too great, public transport doesn't exist outside dense metropolis.

You can leave kits cloistered up, miles from the next person... if you like dysfunctional grown-ups.
    Also, keep in mind that at 18, lots of 'kids' have been working for a few years and are paying their way through college. You can't have a job without a car. (no excuses about getting a ride, that's not a luxury everyone has).

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  8. FritzC6

FritzC6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb alpha dog
    i floor the accelerator when i'm in my work van, and old peugot

my own car , a turbo diesel 2 liter citroen xsara vtr 3-door is the "sportiest" car i've driven so far :(

i rarely go pedal to the medal when shifting up , and i never **** around on public roads , especially if the car doesn't have abs and airbags

i have had many many close calls in the past

9. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    i like to take my car to my local race track (Brands hatch) and watch my speedo go way high :)

because the law is really bad on speeding here in the UK, its nice to let my car enjoy some high speeds.

ive done a few burn-outs, not really that fun i dont think, but in a way it is fun.
    Speeding on a say 40 mph zone, is pretty bad, and i respect that there will be children running around,
    but most of the time i drive the roads there are no children, so i tend to floor it, especially on the motorways,
    i like over-taking people in their BMW's :D but then obviously i see some loony in a Ferrari :( haha ;)

10. FritzC6

FritzC6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb alpha dog
    Jeremy Clarkson? hehe :) does he still have the lambo?

11. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    ^^^ You cant say that, im 17 and have been driving for a while. . . I drive within the speed limit all around town, do about 80-90 on the motorway. . . and if theres a nice road then i offcorse drive smooth, safe and fast. :)

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    What do you define as slow? Because I can certainly travel beyond any speed limit in the US. That's fast enough for me.

You also act like I've only driven this ONE car like this the entire time I've been driving. That's a bad assumption. I had an Isuzu Rodeo before my current car, and I still never felt the need to floor it. Course, some slow pokes still annoy the heck out of me forcing me to go around them. Do they really feel the need to cut off a car going faster than them? Anyways, that's not the point.

Bah, why bother trying to explain myself. The guy obviously just jumps to conclusions.

13. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Go fast only if you know how to drive fast and know your cars limit!

I have an 06 Mustang GT with a 5 speed manual transmission, Im always flying down HWY's people in MA and RI either drive to damn slow or fast. I Have logged many hrs in my car's on avg. 2- 5hrs a day driving in jacked up Boston traffic. The cops here drive hell of fast and many times I have flown by a cop doing 90- 120+ mph while there are on the opposite side of the HWY.

14. chief Dave

chief Dave Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 290x
    I do at the track, where it is controlled and safe. Yea I do a burnout, in the burn out box, not for show, but to get the tires warm, period.

On the street, hardly ever, as I do not need to, even in my truck. Life is too short. Yea I drive a GM (Holden) and a Dodge. Most of the kids driving like you mentioned on the street are imports here, not hating, just facts.

BLUFF Be careful on the street fellas, as the police are out and someone else may have thier new CPU in a FED EX truck on the way to drop it off @ YOUR house! lol

PS see avitar for fun @ the track

15. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    I did 140+ by a cop right after the rotary in concord on route 2, he pulled out behind me but i took a right onto 2a and hid behind the lil peach convienient store. But that was over ten years ago, about 80% of the need for speed is out of my system. I just want my car to run now. All you younger guys will be the same way.

16. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    A friend of mine as a supercharged viper , the one rule he has is , if you floor-it just make sure its pointed in the right direction..............>

His stays in line , fishtailing is not a problem !!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  17. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Im sure it wont go that direction though :p

Left right left right as you fishtail for ....millions of miles with a vipers power lol

18. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I used to be in the British Army based in germany,
    The Autobahn has no speed limit i rememmber my foot being on the floor for almost 2 hours driving down to southern Germany was in an XR2 125mph a ferrarri went past me like i was not moving, Gutted i thought i was going fast

I now accelerate quickly (foot on floor) on the odd occasion upto the speed limit and dependent on road coditions if i want to nip infront of another car or when overtaking.

BMW 320D touring 0-60 8.9sec
    Best thing is even driven fairly hard i get 45mpg
    Normal driving i get 54mpg (normal driving)
    If i drive really carefully i get 65mpg (Ipswich to norwich A roads)

19. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    nah not really, i mean sometimes but not really. My car accelerates pretty quick without even 1/4th down, i mean i notice just tapping the peddle my car would accelerate way past the cars behind me so i dont even bother

20. IZAK_Computers

IZAK_Computers New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB
    I floored my accelerator one time a broke both of my motor mounts. That was a very expensive mistake.