Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
  2. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
  3. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    So far Powercolor, Sapphire, and Gecube have announced cards, no pics for gecube around but powercolor's looks to have the most interesting cooler fitted.
    Takes up 2 spots but not a problem with my mobo as the 1st pci slot is 2 slots away anyway.
    I'm not going to pay too much attention to stock clocks as likely the powercolor with the better cooler might overclock the best, that's if cpu bottlenecking doesn't ruin the party too much. Hopefully we'll see some reviews, benchmarks somtime soon. ATI are releasing the hd3870 x2 Jan 23rd so presumably also releasing the Catalyst 8.1 driver at the same time which will also support the new HD3850 AGP cards.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. josef109

josef109 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7600 GT 256MB AGP
    Can't seem to find out who's selling the Sapphire HD3850 AGP graphics card as of yet....Many AGP users wait'in on this one.....

5. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Waiting for the 3850 AGP here as well. They've been announced several weeks ago, but no availablility here in Europe.

Not sure which to choose though. The Sapphire has 256MB which is OK if you keep the resolution down. But is runs faster as the Powercolor, which has 512MB.

Couldn't find a lot about te Gecube. 512MB GDDR3, but no other specs such as core and memory speed. According to their site, they are the first to ship the 3850 AGP, yet they have been the last to announce it and it isn't even showing up in their product catalogue?

6. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    sry bout the pic.. i liked that one alot better than the Powercolor one.. it shows the AGP alot better

7. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    The Sapphire has a bad cooling solution i think it could cause temp problems. And i don´t think the Power Color will be really noticeable slower because of this marginally lower clocks. I think I take the one from Power Color.

I just send an Email to the Power Color Sales Support and asked about the availability in Europe. Hope I will get an answer.

I wonder if the cards are already available in the United States?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  8. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    theyre not out here in the US either. i actually stumbled on this thread while searching for new info on the cards.

i emailed Gecube this afternoon and im trying to get a release date, core/memory speeds, and an msrp from them. if i hear anything ill post it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  9. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
  10. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Anyone laid their hands on one yet? I'd really like to know how they work with the latest catalyst drivers, especially after the disaster that was the HD 2x00 AGP.

11. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    They are already available to buy on e-shop where I live(Lithuania).
    512MB one for about 250USD.

12. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  13. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    Well I had the chance yesterday to test the Power Color PCS HD3850 AGP as i took one of those for a test-evening from the store where I work to my Home and Replaced my X1950 Pro to test this "great" card.

From now on things became really sad. I had NO CHANCE to get this card to work on my system. Whenever I entered 3D Mode the PC freezed or crashed. Both in Vista and XP.

The Only Driver that supports this card is the one that Power Color delivered with the card on a CD-R. :3eyes:It is based on the 7.12. But they don´t work with the card, perhaps only on my system but i doubt that very much.

The original 7.12 and the 8.1 don´t support the card so you even have no chance to install them :puke2:

ATI´s driver support is really the last crap. I don´t know if the failure is due to my system (i don´t think so) but i also don´t know how really Power Color forced the 7.12 drivers to work with the card.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  14. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    i assume you tried this, but there is a hotfix for the 8.1s and agp cards thats supposed to resolve all problems.

15. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Seems like you didnt try to hard.

16. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Hey! Who let you in? :eek2: Welcome to Guru3D. :)

17. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    hey HJ, im around on a good share of the forums, even though im not registered at alot of them.

now if one of these damn cards would come out so i can get my hands on them...

oh, and Gecube never got back with me. ill try them again though.

18. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    If I find anything I'll let you know. I wonder if they're going to launch these with the PCI-E cards which are due out next week? Wouldn't be surprised.

19. MJay27

MJay27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
    I tried to install the hotfix but the card wasn´t recognized by the hotfix driver either. The Only Driver that at least identifies the card at this time ist the crappy modfied one from Power Color.

My AGP X1950 Pro runs without any Problems with all Catalyst Versions also the AGP problematic 7.10 7.11 and 7.12 ones so i really don´t know where the error could be.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  20. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    just for the hell of it... and im sure this couldnt screw anything up any more then it is...

im assuming the modified drivers are 8.1s also. try throwing the hotfix ontop of that? hell, just throw the hotfix on top of them even if they arent.

on the other hand, the hotfix doesnt list the 3800 series as a supported series, so it may or may not work anyways.

im curious how Gecube will handle this. right in their press release it says "GECUBE HD3850 graphics cards are Microsoft Windows Vista™ Premium certified and supported by the ATI Catalyst® suite of software, ensuring customers have ongoing access to software updates for performance, stability and added features. Support for DirectX 10.1 provides developers with access to enhanced programming techniques and new lighting effects."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008