Report on PC gaming slump.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Pigchild, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Thought I would post a link to this report on PC gaming for 2007.

I was really shocked to hear that Crysis thus far has only sold 86,000 copys worldwide and COD 4 for pc has sold less than 110,000 copys.

In contrast COD 4 for console has already broke the 1 million mark in sales.

Other games such as Bioshock for pc did not fair much better.

It kind of makes you wonder about the future of pc gaming as a whole. With pc game sales falling sharply each year I just can't imagine game developers continuing to support the pc as a viable and profitable platform to invest in.

I hope this is just temporary because I hate consoles, but I fear I may be forced to buy one before decades end if I want to keep gaming.

Here's the video report:
    http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_the_pc_gaming_slump.html

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    i know that the future for PC gaming looks grim,...but i refuse to believe that we won't have PC games no more....i never owned a console and i don't want to have one ....but looks like we have no choice...:(

3. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I know, I mean it's like no matter how you slice it, sales for PC games have been on a big downward spiral the last couple years. We all know that sales and profits are going to be the biggest factor regarding the future of pc gaming.

If pc gaming were to fade away, I think the biggest thing I would miss is the video and audio flexability that pc gaming has over console games.

I'm sure pc hardware manufacturers are feeling the pinch too.

4. Retrolock

Retrolock Guest

GPU:
    G1 Gaming GTX 970

5. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Compare PC market and Console market r wrong.

And say PC market die based in that comparison is wrong +2

PC titles have more life than Console titles.

Crysis have low sales in part becouse have higth requeriments, in time that is not a problem.

Same COD4 for most users.

In chance Console games sold good at start (stuck grafics) but in short time they lose their position to other titles.

Piracy does damage COD4 specialy becouse is low protect and there higth number of cracked servers online, but is not a problem of PC gaming exclusive, if piracy hit Console market (it will) they will have same problems or more of them.

6. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have already read that thread a while ago. To say that the slow sales of PC games is a "myth" is completly insane. Sales figures are no secret and when games such as Crysis, COD 4, and Bioshock can not even break the 100,000 mark it speaks volumes about the current state of pc gaming and the outlook for it's future. What about UT? 32,000 copies sold worldwide! OMG! you can pack that many people in a small sports arena! These are huge finacial losses for the developers of these games. How much longer do you think any company can support losses like that and still stay in business?

The only argument one could make for pc gaming is Blizzard because they have managed to have continued success with their pc titles.

Unfortunatly Blizzard is only one of many players in the development of pc games.

7. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    When they say consoles sell more than PC it's really unfair. They take game sales from every bloody console out there add them up and compare to the PC sales. The PC should be seen as a console platform in regard to sales then they could do it properly, like PC game sales v XBOX or v PS3.

I believe i read somewhere that in 2007 there were more 8800 cards sold than the XBOX, Wii and PS3 put together. So PC gaming can't be doing that badly then.

Even at SystemWars over on the Gamespot forums the PC is treated as another console and thus wins SystemWars every year.

8. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  9. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    The numbers I'm refering to are Xbox360 game sales only. I'm not combining the numbers from all consoles. So you see, it is fair. For example: 360 only numbers in relation to the sales of COD4 are 1.5 Million copies. Put that in contrast with COD4 pc game selling less than 100,000 copies. That figure alone is huge.

10. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    Have PC games ever really been big sellers? Does anyone know how this year compares to past years, as far as PC game sales go?

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    thats a UK sales chart how about a global....

Here is an interesting thinger in Canada when I used to visit cities there used to be PC Game/Software stores now when I go to them they just sell console crap. (But they always have MMO Crap for PC) Oddly when I want new games I usually have to import from UK because most stores pulled out of PC sales because easier to make a quick buck with console stuff and yes some have said it was not relating to how many things were sold but on average they could sell much crap to console users and make more. So if you a PC Gamer in my opinion import I dunno how it is in the states but its near impossible to find lots of the PC game Stores that were easy to find in the years of 2000-2003 ish

12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Don't forget the makers of these games use PC's to develop them :) never going to die dude get real.

13. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    As long as the internet exists, there will always been PC gaming.

14. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Here is a list of the best selling PC Games of all time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PC

I Googled it but couldn't find one.

This is pretty much the same for the UK, which is why i buy all my games online now... usually from www.play.com

Forget that, the girl in your avatar is gorgeous! :nerd:

15. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    ^^^ She's my GF.. along with JLH. I got rid of who she's *SPAM* right now so I can bang the sh!t out of her. :banana:

16. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Yeah right... and then you woke up! :sleep:

17. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Nope I woke up and said to myself, "I can do better". :p

18. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    How does that pos sims sell so many. i'll never know.

hl1 8million is good sales.

Piracy these days is much worse though, torrents torrents torrents.

Then you got the price of hardware to play some of these games full up and at a decent rez, all adds up.

Alot of ppl with lower end hardware, just aint going to buy a game to play with ****e graphics and res.

Kinda like cod4, although not a big leap over cod2, just tons of soldiers coming at u, same tried and trusted method.

Wheres the new i.p's.

They could stop piracy if they wanted.

I'm wondering if piracy was stopped, how many ppl would buy these games?

19. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    Thats really strange because CoD4 PC edition has been the top selling one on Play, Gameplay, GAME, and Amazon. The XBOX version is always a good few slots lower. Less than 100,00 copies sold on PC is complete bull****, i'm sorry but it is. Load up CoD4 on the PC and look at the amount of servers, today my screen read over 20,000 and most of the servers are either full or near full. The mod tools were just recently released aswell so the PC version has a much longer appeal.

I put it down to the publishers and developers messing us about, why??..
    Well a PC game will cost you today brand new between £17.99 and £29.99, now a console game brand new can cost anything between £39.99 and £49.99. The pubs and devs aren't about making great games anymore they just see money, and the easiest way to do that is through the console market .

*Edit* Blizzard has just announced that WoW has now gone over the 10 million subscriber mark. So thats another area of PC gaming that is still growing and Blizzard have still to release the next expansion.

20. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    That was the sales figures 2 weeks after it's release.

And most games aren't released at the same time worldwide.
    The dates differs from country to country.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008