6800 Ultra =>6800GT?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ThugRen, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ThugRen

ThugRen Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 6700
    Okay. So I have just notice that this 6800 Ultra is coming up as a 6800GT? Is this normal? I bought this one ebay a while ago. It came with a Passive Massive Heat sink. So I have changed the heatsink and it is a 6800 Ultra Chipset. It has a Bios Flash of NV45 P211 Sku4 and Ver 5.40.02.36.09! There is no Manufactors label? I have notice that with the Generic install of the drivers it comes up as a Geforce 6800 gpu. And When I change it the Geforce Ultra drivers it works, but when I go into the Display panel and do the adpater chipset it comes up as a Geforce 6800 GT? So Is there a generic Bios flash for these Ultra or is this how these ultra show up in windows XP?

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    6800GT is 6800Ultra with lower speeds. Very easy to OC.

Nothing to worry about. You can flash 6800GT's BIOS with Ultras BIOS if you like, but I recommend just to OC.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Nvidia use a unified driver architecture which means the drivers are always generic in relation to most recent series of geforce cards. So upon Installation of any drivers that support the 6800 ultra 5-series and above, it should say 6800 ultra and the gpu model code in the control panel.

Try using rivatuner and gpu-z to confirm your hardware, though having 2 seperate names which are both not the actual gpu is quite strange.

4. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    sounds like the person who had the card Flashed a GT to Ultra, wich if done right you should have no problems, but maybe he OC'd it to Ultra speeds and sold it as Ultra and its a GT.

But like they already said, its realy the same card, its just lower clocks with the BIOS.

5. Murock

Murock Active Member

GPU:
    Extreme 8800GTS 320MB 661/1902mhz
    thats correct like he said

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I think he meant that when he changed the heatsink he checked the chipset which was the 6800 ultra.

OP@ Try the latest drivers and post a screenshot of the main page in the nvidia control panel.

7. ThugRen

ThugRen Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 6700
    Well Okay.. I found the problem, But I can't seem to get the right Nvidia bios to flash to the card, I found out there was a tagged with the Bios Version and it doesnt match up with the version installed to the card. I am thinking it was flashed prior. It is flashed with the bios version 5.40.02.36.09 is what is on the card. But the Tag on the card said it should be a 5.40.02.41.02! Which I have found on mvktech.net. It is a True Ultra Card! I have pulled the heatsink and it's Nvidia 6800 Ultra. Stamped into the GPU! But I am have aproblem with flashing it now. I can't get the new flash to go thro.
    Nvflash /5/6/j/i/F with the newer flash I get a error on and it will not flash over to the new one. I have also done the Nvflash /r. I have also tried the wfflash but get an error with it as well. Unable to flash do to the UID ? I think that is what it was?

8. ThugRen

ThugRen Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 6700
    The Card is a True 6800 Ultra card! It's Just coming up as a 6800 GT in the software and bios ver.

9. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    ahh ok i guess i just miss read your first post, hope you get it the bios flashed, i know nothing about doing that.

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Checkout the link below for an easy way to flash your card from within windows,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=1940216&postcount=163

;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Isn't it better to keep the GT bios and just clock it up to Ultra speeds? I think the GT has tighter timings on the memory and will give better performance at the same clocks.

12. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    it could be that someone with an ultra flashed to gt bios so they could get tighter timings, a lot of people did that

13. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
  14. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    Yea, I thought that I remembered (and was verified by the pic) that the Ultra has 2 molex connectors, GT has just one. Additionally, didn't the Ultras have slightly higher vcore settings?

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Also the Ultras have a full compliment of power regulators, GTs have empty pads under the regulator heatsink though a few manufacturers released GTs with all intact on the card. The Ultra still has the sexiest stock GPU cooler so far though!

16. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    It does. Whoever owned the card previously had to know this. I'd just leave the GT BIOS on there unless you're having stability problems. Obviously check the clocks as well. Some Ultras run at 400/1100, but others run at 425/1100. Just make sure it's not the GT speeds (350/1000).