New BIOS available for EVGA 8800GT cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hootmon, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Rev 1.2 available on http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/
    When I restarted my machine after installing the new BIOS it didnt crank the fan up to 100% for a minute like it did before.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Good Find. This is the 2nd BIOS Released by EVGA dated 1/14/08...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=176929&mpage=1&key=

"This new update ramps the fanspeed up quicker, and more gradually as the temperature increases. This update can lower the GPU operating temperature by about 10c under load. In addition, this BIOS also improves compatibility with some PCIe Gen1 motherboards.

All new EVGA shipping boards will have these changes in place, we have this posted for those of you with existing cards. You can find this BIOS on the EVGA downloads page, or below"

3. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Is this an update to the updated BIOS posted before. I could swear they already posted linkage to updated BIOS in the eVGA forums,….way before 1/14/2008

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Yes, this is the 2nd BIOS update from them, as the first mentioned nothing regarding "improving compatibility with some PCIe Gen1 motherboards".

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008

5. bodean

bodean Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    Im surprised there are no bios updates for the 8800 gts =/

6. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Apparently there is and it just came out this morning. See Raul's post below. It doesn't mention anything about changing how the fans-ramp however.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  7. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Does this mean that I can flash my regular EVGA 8800GT 512 to a 8800GT SSC? I'm currently running at SC speeds but I want to get up to 700core and 2000mem. Would this work? My part #512-P3-N801-AR. If I downloaded the SSC bios could I flash my 8800GT with it? Would this also void my warranty because I'm changing my bios from a regular to SSC?

8. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    May not work because I believe there are voltage differences between BIOS's and your SC may not be able to handle it.

9. raulramos

raulramos Guest

GPU:
    Point of View GTX470
  10. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Flashing with the wrong bios will probably void your warranty. You are better off using RT to do the OC.

11. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    No it will not void your warranty.. If your have issues just flash the card back before you rma it..

Yes it will work.. It will save you the trouble of setting an overclock with a 3rd party program on every boot..

The ssc bios will actually tweak the core voltage and memory timings to allow you a better chance of running the ssc speeds even if you could not attain them on a normal overclock in windows with the sc bios..

12. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Is it even possible to 'flash your card back' after you've bricked it?

13. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Blind flashes are possible. Saved my old 6800 a few times this way.

14. raulramos

raulramos Guest

GPU:
    Point of View GTX470
    Or you use a old PCI card to flash it.

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    As Milenko said, a Blind Flash will sometimes work, where you prepare a bootable disc/USB Flash Drive with NVFlash, the original BIOS, and a script file written to automatically execute without your intervention. I think using a cheap PCI card as Raul suggested is a better idea as you can see what's going on. No guarantees with either method however.

16. slicksickwilly

slicksickwilly Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 5870
    Also having your card go belly up or 'bricking' as to no monitor signal is a very rare occasion. Most rma's are for heat, artifacts,bsod ect.. All of those situations can get a pic to get in bios and be reflashed before rma'd.

17. pdressler

pdressler New Member

So you (or anyone else here) have actually done this? I have the EVGA 8800GT SC and I would like to overclock by flashing with the SSC bios. Are there any side effects at all? I still have the stock cooler which works fine at SC speeds and was wondering if it will still be OK with SSC speeds since the new bios increases the fan speeds.

Thanks

18. sok

sok Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 mb
    if you have a 8800gt you can flash it with any 8800gt bios you can find(except for the new custom 3phase power cards, those might work too but i haven't tested those yet), doesn't matter which manufacturer or which version of the card, just make sure it has the same amount of ram, you can even use the bioses from the new cards that have samsung ram, because the ram timings and voltages are the same (i know it works because i'm using one)

you can also set custom clocks on your stock bios and reflash the card, just make sure the card can handle the new clocks before you do it, aka test for at least 2 hours of continuous use, like a 3dmark loop at high resolution without the cpu tests, and monitor the temps

i've must have reflashed my 8800gt like 20 times since i got the card, it's a evga 8800gt, the basic model, i always use bios with the latest build date i can find from any manufacturer, haven't had any problems with any of them... yet

19. pdressler

pdressler New Member

I just tried to do it but the update gets to the point where it searches for display adapters to update but does not find them. The SC bios finds it fine and works but the KO and the SSC do not find the card toupdate. Any ideas?

20. sok

sok Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 mb
    the evga bios update will not work because the bios is not meant for your card,
    you have to flash from DOS, using the nvflash utility with the command

nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 xxx.rom

where xxx is the name of your bios

you can get many different bioses from here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

just make sure it's for 8800gt 512mb (if that's what you have), and if the bios is in .bin format just open it with nibitor, then hit file and save as, it will save as a .rom file, (i think you could just rename from .bin to .rom but im not really sure about that)