COD4 - Am I missing the optimized experience?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by LifeForce, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ definitely true, but for someone like me, 30-40 FPS is intolerable.

Call me an FPS snob if you must, but I need to have generally no less than 45, because I CAN see and experience the difference. Specially when playing a twitch shooter.

That and you like knowing that your hardware can handle these new games, just for the sake of making sure nothing is wrong and that you're getting optimal performance. Nothing wrong with that..

2. Taylon

Taylon Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX OC
    well just going off what you said in the OP i would say its your system. you should be getting really good fps' with your system. what all have you tried. things you might try would be:
    updating bios
    updating chipset drivers
    im guessing its a dell computer from your mobo so reinstalling operating system (kinda drastic but dell is known for putting lots of **** on there systems)
    removing, wiping, and then installing newest video card/sound card drivers
    just plain cleaning your computer (ad-aware. spybot search & destroy, ccleaner)

sorry if this is below you but i don't really now your level of expertise

3. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    People are complaining about 60 fps.. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

Might be a driver conflict issue like someone mentioned.

4. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah I'm the same, but unfortunately like some people here I don't have a lot of money :(

5. Taylon

Taylon Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX OC
    on a side not my fps will drop to around 30fps (1600x1200 4xAA max ingame settings) for a little bit, but at no time does the game feel slow or unresponsive.

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I play it at 1280x1024 most settins on high and it runs great for me.

7. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Alright, well I appreciate all your comments. I think narrowing this down to a simple question might help me better.

When someone says "it NEVER dipped below 60fps for me", should I assume that A) they weren't checking the framerate and just went by feeling and B) they are exaggerating?

Because I have had a little more time to deal with the game and with my processor set to dell's overclock and on SLI, COD4 in the first mission especially maintains over 60fps I would say 90% of the time. There are a few instances where it hovers right down to 60 and dips into the 50s and theres maybe two instances where it hit the lower 50s. I don't think I have seen 40s. Does this sound reasonable at 1680x1050 with 4xaa and the af slider set to max?

I became slightly more concerned last night when I sent my cpu clock back to 2.93, the x6800 default. My 3dmark05 score went from 21400 to like 18700. And in COD4 the framerate did drop below 60 quite a bit more than before.

I guess the question here is, is there really a problem? Does what I get sound reasonable? Because I mean if an 8800 Ultra in single card mode and stock x6800 settings struggles to hold 60 when many others claim its constant, doesn't it become more of an issue about system stability and system health rather than COD4 itself?

8. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I get 50-100+ fps constantly... I've never seen it drop below 45, and it only dips down that low when there's airstrikes and helis and grenades going off all at the same time.

To the OP, my guess would be that you have some kind of background applications running, or something which is slowing your computer down. I assume you have vista. If you do, you should make sure you have disabled all the features you don't need, maybe try turning off indexing and superfetch?
    Other than that I don't understand why you aren't getting the same performance as everyone else.

You don't have vsync on do you? Check the in-game settings and the nvidia control panel settings. What drivers are you using? How are you applying AA (in game or through nv cp)?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  9. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    No, not using vsync and I am on XP with this.

Maybe nothing IS wrong. I mean from what you said, 50-100, that seems consistent with me. I don't think I have had anything in the 30s so far. As long as there are those that can confirm that it does go into the 50s and maybe 40s depending on the situation, I can work with that, as it helps to balance the other side of the spectrum which is those claiming an ever constant 60+.

I mean, my last 3dmark05 score was 21425 (SLI) and my last 06 score was 15465 (SLI) and 13040 in single card. Can anyone say if these look ok for my setup?

10. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi

I could not play it like that.

11. Marduk-

Marduk- Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT @ 680/1800
    I have my FPS capped at 60 using com_maxfps.

12. nas711

nas711 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Dell 30" BFG 8800gtx OC + PhySEX
    lol 90+FPS ??? On what game at a decent resolution? 35FPS @ 1900x1200 is a much better game experience than a shoddy res just for the sake of ridiculous frame rates. If you need a game running 90FPS+ then you don't game for the sake of enjoyment. I enjoyed the **** outta crysis at 25 FPS on max. The way it was mean't to be played :p

13. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    lol, wut?

50 fps is too low for you?

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I don't even know what to say to this.. except NOT!

25 fps? the way it was meant to be played? Please pass some of whatever you're smoking, cuz I'm all out..

15. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    I play CoD4 @ 1028x1024 ,All possible settings cranked up ,4xAA ,0xAF @ 65FPS average. In heavy action it goes down to 35-38FPS ,but you don't feel any lagg what so ever. In buildings I get 120's, so the performance is very good. And of course... It looks stunning. :nerd:

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I agree with some posters playing a fps with anything less than 60+ fps isn't fun due to the lack of responsiveness, and even on my gts I get near 100fps most of the time with all settings max, 16xaf at 1600x1200.

17. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I envy that, I wish I could get 40 or so FPS minimum on my games lol :(

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You can just turn the settings down, after all we play mp games for the experience not just the graphics as we can do that in sp. Look at the wii it's a great success and you know why.

19. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    I have to laugh at the people saying they couldn't play at 50fps.

Don't get me wrong, the higher the better. I get pissed if my frames ever go below 25, but once I achieve an average of 40+, I'm perfectly happy.

I play COD4 at 1680x1050 4x AA on my 3870. It does hit 90fps, but it can often hit 30fps in very intense situaitons - but I don't give a crap, because it's still smooth. All this talk of 60-100fps, reponsiveness....come on, what? Are these people looking down on 40-50fps pro-gamers or what?

I play at the above settings, and I have several hundred more kills then deaths (and only started playing end december, so the gap will widen as I go on, currently 1.5K kills to 1k deaths), plus I own a crappy travel optical mouse. Same in BF2 - I used to run at max settings at the time on a 7600GS, did often dip to 25-35fps...but I still had several thousand more kills then deaths - something like 15kills, 9k deaths.

I think all these people saying they need at least 50fps are just making up excuses, or it's some sort of bizarre perfectionism....but you do not need 60-100fps to play a game. As for people saying that responsiveness isn't as good, maybe try looking in the mirror and saying....'Hey, I'm just not THAT good at this particular game....' - stop blaming these stupid little things like 'responsiveness is a big deal'. I'm not saying responsiveness doesn't exist in different bands, but it's not going to make the slighest difference to the average gamer. I remember over on Notebookreview, there was this absolute moron, who ran CS:S at 800x600 low settings, to ensure that he wouldn't EVER dip below 100fps. :p There was a massive argument, and pretty much everyone thought he was a jackass, most people agreeing that as long as a game stayed above 28-35fps (on average, with a minimum of 25), it was fine.

Personally for me it's far, far more important to have good visuals in MP - Call of Duty 4 involves a lot of long range shooting and identifying targets which would be impossible at low res and/or settings. And that applies to pretty much every game, apart from the obvious few FPS games like FEAR combat which take place in small, cramped locations.

Ahhhh...had to say that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  20. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Again, another instance of people BSing they get great fps. To the originator. Take a screenshot of the time when you get fps drops, then from all the others who claim amazing fps ask them to give you a screenshot of the same screen. To "my" knowledge NO card will sustain 60FPS in COD4. Like someone said, turn off the fps and just play the game. I can almost guarantee you all the people who said they get great fps don't or haven't even looked and are talking from their butt cheeks. Sorry, it's my opinion but it's usually backed by truth especially when people don't front what's requested and just yap.

Dual GTX and Quad Core, all latest drivers. Wow, what's that the game drops to red with them too?! wow... old news, game has some issues and 1.4 is misleading because IW, like with all the cheats, has done nothing and nor do I expect them too.