No more overriding refresh rates?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by McFly2000, Jan 3, 2008.

1. McFly2000

McFly2000 New Member

I just got me a GF 8800GT.
    Installed the newest drivers, incuding that nForce thing.

In the good, olde days, I would simply run Coolbits to enable refresh rate overriding.
    In the 8800 drivers, Coolbits seems not do have any effect.

nForce won't do a thing either.

How can I override refresh rates?
    reForce won't help me much either. I still get 60Hz in all games. :(

I'm I the last person alive to own a CRT monitor?
    There has to be an alternative to Coolbits for the 8800 series drivers.

Help, please.

Thanks.

2. The_Swead

The_Swead Member

GPU:
    asus gtx280/4870X2
  3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB

5. McFly2000

McFly2000 New Member

Thanks. That worked.

Couldn't get RivaTuner to do much.
    Pity, as it sems to have a lot of nice features.

6. fcs

fcs Banned

GPU:
    2x eVGA 8800Ultra Superclocked 768M
    Use RivaTuner to create your own custom monitor .INF driver or setup information file (not the same as "custom display modes" wizard):

• Customize > Low-Level Refresh Rate Settings
    • Monitor Drivers Wizard > Get EDID Info
    • Select All Display Modes > Enter Minimum Refresh Rate (ie 85Hz)
    • Click "Create" and save it as an .INF file.
    • Update your monitor driver with the newly created .INF file.

This has the advantage of not being dependent on running any 3rd party refresh rate tools in the background or tinkering with your video card drivers.

As usual - modify at your own risk!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  7. McFly2000

McFly2000 New Member

Thanks, man. I will try this.
    But will this also work for games? (the refresh rates)

8. fcs

fcs Banned

GPU:
    2x eVGA 8800Ultra Superclocked 768M
    It should work for everything, since it fixes the refresh rate issue at the source.

Also, when you enter the minimum refresh rate of 85Hz, for example, it will only set it for resolutions that support it as reported by your monitor. Everything else will be set to the next best thing (ie 75, 70, 60), which means it is always kept within your monitor's hardware specifications.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  9. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    What if without installing my monitor drivers I can set 1440x900 @ 75Hz but after installing all I can set is either 59 Hz or 60 Hz? The hardware actually supports it, but the software denies it. Is there a way to override it with Rivatuner? So it is always 75Hz, even in desktop? I managed to do it in Nvidia Custom Resolutions until the 174.xx drivers...

So I'm looking for alternate ways. Since I already use Rivatuner for changing color, brightness and contrast I'm trying to give this a try, but in my Minimum Refresh rates the 1440x900 only options is 59 and 60Hz...

10. Deathray

Deathray New Member

GPU:
    AMD Athlon 64 / Intel Cor
    This method helped me now being able to select 85 Hz in World of Warcraft but what I really want is being able to do 100 Hz. But in RivaTuner it wont show higher than 85. How do I get 100 Hz??

11. thehandi

thehandi New Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970 4gb
    http://cloudconnected.net/handi/ClassicControlPanel.reg
    Re-enables the classic control panel.

http://cloudconnected.net/handi/nvcpltweak.reg
    Essentially Coolbits with a few extras.

Right click desktop-> Nvidia Display -> Display Name (ie. Dell M993s) -> Additional Properties -> Refresh Rate Overrides

Be sure the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display." box is unchecked in the Properties - > Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor tab.
    If you accidently set your monitor passed its refresh range, there is a 15 second timer that will revert to previous setting if left alone.

http://cloudconnected.net/handi/NewControlPanel.reg
    Restore the new Control Panel.

There are a few bugs, such as Anisotropic Filtering being locked within the control panel. Enable the tray icon, and disable AF through that.

edit/ this is XP only, NvCpl crashes upon launch in Vista.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  12. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Had the same problem. I just modded the inf in the drivers.

13. sighunter

sighunter Member

GPU:
    XFX R5870 XXX @ 885/1319
    Hey Guys.

i have Windows 7 x64 and latest nvidia driver 185.85 running.
    2 graphics cards (6200 + 8800) and 2 crts on it. Sun GDM 5510.
    i know that both are capable of showing 1600x1200 with 100 hz
    which worked like a charm under XP.

For some reason i cant change it to any different in w7 than 75 hz on the left crt, and the right one does 85 + 75. i tried to do it with rivatuner (custom ini) and nvtray,
    didnt work... i dont know what else i could do,
    can anyone help?

14. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Apart from all this, you should really consider getting yourself an LCD. It has almost only benefits compared to a CRT and prices are negligible.

Cheers

15. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I was using RefreshForce with vista, which worked like charm...

but now in windows 7 rc I do not need to mess with it anymore, since all resolutions uses highest possible monitor refresh rate by default :D

16. sighunter

sighunter Member

GPU:
    XFX R5870 XXX @ 885/1319

not if you have a good crt that once had cost A LOT of money.
    all the tfts ive seen (for a reasonable price) are crap compared to my trinitron

17. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Well, economically speaking that's already a 'sunk' cost which has already been discounted. :)
    For sure an LCD will never have as good an image as a CRT, but it comes close (at least the good LCDs do) and the other advantages (lower power consumption, no flickering, no radiation, no dust-shooting) more than compensate for that IMHO. I myself have an LG L227WTP-PF, am super content with the image quality and it cost me no more than €220.-

Cheers

18. f0r3sk1n

f0r3sk1n New Member

GPU:
    NVS 320M W/ 8700M Drivers
    Groan...

Okay, so I just got this awesome CRT for gaming purposes to go with my HP 8710P laptop, the monitor is a Sony CPD-G520, I'm fairly sure it's capable of at least 1024x768 @ 120hz, but for the life of me the nvidia drivers won't let me select anything beyond 85hz in any resolution, some of the high ones it locks me back to 75hz, which is understandable, but I really don't want to have to use only 85hz when I'm playing Quake 3, that defeats the whole point of getting the CRT monitor in the first place. Well, maybe not entirely, it only cost me $12.50 and it is a 21" screen, even if it is a bit big and old.

Anyway, the configuration of my notebook isn't really standard because I have 8700M drivers installed instead of the normal NVS 320M drivers that it should be using, I was wondering if this might be the source of the reason that I can't increase the refresh rate beyond 85hz, but I'm reluctant to try installing the latest forceware because if I do that and go back to using NVS 320M drivers then Q3 will probably start running all jittery again, which was the reason that I started using the 8700M drivers in the first place. They're a pain in the butt to install, because the computer always automatically wants to select the NVS driver, I had to rename files and modify the inf file to get the 8700M driver installed, but once it was installed everything started working a treat.

Anyway I'm using version 175.32 drivers, any recommended versions? I've been googling round about this issue for about 5 hours now and haven't come up with much so far, this is the second forum I've searched and joined in order to ask for help with it. I have found one thing where someone mentioned that they were having a similar problem and that installing some specific versions of drivers enabled them to access up to 100hz, but I really want to have the option to push this monitor to 120hz, as it should be capable of it.

Another thing that bothers me is that the monitors native resolution is 1880x1440, and there isn't any option for that resolution on the resolution slider. I've tried creating custom resolutions with both standard and higher refresh rates, but one way or the other it doesn't seem to make any difference, the custom resolutions I create are never saved into the options list. I've tried using NVTray and the .reg files listed in this thread and it still doesn't even give me the option of Refresh Rate Overrides. The option is there in NVTray, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I wonder if an updated BIOS for the video card would make any difference? I'm a bit scared of doing something like that, it seems pretty drastic and I'd be worried that it might kill the card.

The drivers also seem to prevent Q3 from running the monitor in 1880x1440 also from using any refresh rate above 85hz.

Anyway, rant end, hopefully someone can help me with this, I'll keep on trying stuff, but I'm beginning to feel like it's a bit hopeless.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    refreshforce in XP

20. f0r3sk1n

f0r3sk1n New Member

GPU:
    NVS 320M W/ 8700M Drivers
    Okay, so I've tried refreshforce as well now, and that doesn't work either. It doesn't detect any modes higher than 85hz and when I try to add a mode with a higher refresh rate and apply it, the porgram fails to apply the settings. Still can't get past 85Hz.