300 $ worth crises

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by basel, Dec 31, 2007.

1. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    i just bought gigabyte x38 based motherboared (ga-x38-6dq) just to be shocked by the fact its a crossfire mobo not sli, i canceled q6600 order and waiting to get some light on whether my gx2 would work with it or not , asked gigabyte f*****s 3 days without no freakin reply watso ever, i have never seen such a chitty tech support in my entire life, so any guru know if my mobo support gx2 or not?? cuz maybe i would be able to return it intact and replae it with some nforce 650 somethin

2. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    I always thought that you didn't have to have an sli motherboard to use the gx2.

3. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I dont know but due to the holidays i can see it taking longer to get a reply from them.
    But not knowing if it was SLI or Crossfire is not their mistake.
    I would give it a few days and see if they reply, i would not open it, till then.

4. Salem13

Salem13 Guest

It's a Crossfire, SLI is nVidia only, X2 GPUs require neither.

5. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    ur 100% sure that its supported?

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The guys are right, you don't need an sli motherboard to run a gx2, some older boards needed a bios update.

7. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Why get a Crossfire motherboard anyways, unless you're thinking of hopping over to the 38xx cards afterwards anyways?

8. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    i didnt know its a crossfire mobo , the crossfire logo was very small and written in the bottom of the back of the box, i wonder why would a big company like gigabyte put such an vital information like this , while its one of the mobo biggest features , espacially that the pci 2.0 was put in bold in the front , i asked the retail guy if it support 7950 gx2 but appearently he only heard the (7950) part .

9. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
  10. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    well I'm sure it'll support one GX2... but if you can I'd probably go through the trouble of switching the board for an SLI one, if possible. unless you are planning to go ATi next time and set up Crossfire....

11. Jarrstin

Jarrstin Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 CF
    It will support one GX2, but if you're thinking of running SLI with more than one GX2, you're SOL unless you find some hacked drivers to run SLI on a Crossfire board.

12. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    im just tryin to hold up with my gx2 till the 9XXX arrive , also im not planin to go sli with the 9xxx , cuz paying like 1400$ is too expensive and waste for money to me

13. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    I don't see the crisis.
    Why don't you just return the mobo and get a replacement that supports SLi, just so in the future you would have the option of another GX2? and of course to give you some peace of mind.
    Given the time of year it will no doubt take longer than normal, so frustrating, yes, crisis..not really. Just rather get exactly what you want, even if it takes a bit longer. Otherwise you will end with something you didn't really want.

Just seen you are waiting for the 9xxx cards. Fine. But waaay down the line when you've had the 9xxx for ages, wouldn't it be nice to at least have the option of sticking in another. Prices will drop. And so will your performance with a single card by that stage.:)

Good luck

oh, and why did you have to cancel the 6600 order?

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Then again, the X38 supports quad core penryns so if there's no need for sli then the board is possibly the best choice right now for future processors.

15. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    i cancelled the q6600 cuz at the time i found that its a crossfire mobo i thought im gonna end up with a 7950 gx1 which made the upgrading completly useless , espacially that my gfx already not doin well on sli mode,
    and about why i didnt just replace it , the reason is that i didnt buy it online but from a stiff headed indian retail store and there is 120$ difference from the xfx 630i , i also update my gfx every yr so it will be unlikely that a 9xxx gtx will get old in one yr time :)

16. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M

My mistake then. You never said where you got it, so i just assumed it was purchased online somewhere. Anyway, i read this somewhere, might help....
    Motherboard compatibility:
    First off, it should be reasonably obvious that a pair of GeForce 7950 GX2s in Quad SLI will only work on NVIDIA SLI-certified motherboards. However, NVIDIA has tested GeForce 7950 GX2 on a number of motherboard solutions, including boards with only a single PCI-Express x16 interconnect.

GeForce 7950 GX2 functions as any normal single card solution would, in that it will work in virtually any motherboard with a PCI-Express x16 interconnect, regardless of the chipset. Compatible motherboards will need a BIOS update to ensure that it is able to see the second GPU that is hidden behind the internal PCI-Express switch. For an up-to-date list of motherboards that support GeForce 7950 GX2, you can check over on NVIDIA's homepage

So, as a few others have said. It will work just fine.:)

17. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    thx for the tip