RivaTuner v2.06

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Nov 1, 2007.

1. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Much more likely than not. Give em a go.

2. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Hi,
    I used 169.28 drivers and they are the best I tried yet. I used them along with RivaTuner 2.06 and when checking for overclocking of my sli, I noticed in GPU-Z that only one card is. Any one having that also?

Now I found a version 2.05 of riva, and kept the same set of drivers. This is resulting on GPU-Z reading that both cards are overclocked now, cool, and in deed it is more eficient now.

Does that then clearly means that before only one card was 'clocked ??
    (maybe stupid question but asking to community what is to know about)

One last thing: it seems that I have some issues( sreensfreeze with buggy-aggressive sound (if you see what I mean) obliging me to reboot computer since I use that Riva2.05 and 169.28 association.
    Any comment on what could cause this ?

I wish all of you gurus a merry christmas [​IMG]

Edit: I try to associate RT 2.05 and 169.13 at the moment

can't no one help on this please ?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  3. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    GPUz is still going through growing pains.

4. ViperJohn

ViperJohn Member Guru

That may be the 169.xx drivers if you are running WinXP. You have 8800GTX card listed in your signature and I have found the whole 169.xx driver series very prone to going into Infinite Loops with 8800 GTX and Ultra cards even at stock clocks.

Viper

5. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    arff Viper, I hope this isn't fully true yo, what a ...**@#]]**

But actually I am trying 169.17(my favorite with 169.28) and RT 2.06 and I can say that GPU-Z shows that The second card is clock but not the first. RT 2.05 did clocked them both, according to the same GPU-Z 0.1.5.

So I might return to RT 2.05 and 169.28 because I realise since then that it might be a GPU core to higly clocked: 648Mhz. I'm having no issues neither @ stock nor at 621Mhz.
    'keep trying ;)

sincerely hoping it's not true about infinite loops of the 169.xx and GTX's !

6. ViperJohn

ViperJohn Member Guru

The Ultra's have always been WinXP driver fussy since almost day one.

I have seen 3 GTX's that do not get along (Infinite Loop Errors in WinXP) with the 169.xx
    series drivers now...mine (stone stock) and two customers. Falling back to the WinXP
    163.75 WHQL's fixed it. Give them a try and see if it help you as you got nothing to loose
    except maybe the lockups.

The primary target for the 169 series driver changes/tweaks are the 8800GT and GTS cards.

Viper

7. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    I think from the 169.21drivers are specially brought for the G92 (only my beleave)
    I tried the 163.75 and they make me loose soo much :/ but I should give them a try yes.

At that precise moment, I'm trying the 169.17 and RT 2.05 and it really clocks my sli correctly: more then 10% increase of fps at certain moments for sure!! Hoping(again :D ) not to get those infinte loops................ 'be back to tell !

8. azetab

azetab Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512 MB OC
    I also have a 8800GTS 512 MB and I am using the 169.28 Beta drivers and OCing in Rivatuner does not work. After I editted my CFG file to have
    G92 = 600h-60Fh,610h-61Fh in the last line, I was able to go into the OC page which I didn't have before, but I get this blank page and I have tried clicking on the Enable driver-level overclocking but it still doesn't work.

[​IMG]

9. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    ToyTen: I was having freezing issues in Crysis with 169.21...plus I've had loads of sound freezes in Crysis and then the game crashes , it started happening alot after installing the XFi update through windows update..
    I always use RT 2.05 , I hate 2.06 for the loss in performance it gives , even though it has better clocking options for the Shader :(

Plus it is a possibility that your clocking your cards high !
    I'm guessing you were using RT 2.06 for a while , maybe you've been use to clocking your single card high and now your having issues clocking both your cards to the same level...
    Try taking the Core Down to 620Mhz and your mem to 1050Mhz..
    Give that a shot , if your system still freezes maybe the drivers dont allow for decent clocks..

I'm using 169.13 + Riva Tuner 2.05 @ 620/1050
    Core @ 648 gives better or higher bench scores but it gives a sluggish feel during gameplay overall...

Also try making sure you removed RT 2.06 properly before installing RT 2.05..

Hope things work out fine...

EDIT ; Also try uninstalling nTune and the beta nForce System Tools software , if you've installed em...
    For some reason those mess my system up every time I try giving them a shot..even when I'm not changing settings...

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're trying to overclock the secondary head of display adapter, select the primary one in the main tab.

11. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    unwinder is correct lol :p

do the drop down box and select the first one should say the name of your mointor or "generic PnP monitor"

12. azetab

azetab Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512 MB OC
    Ok I tried changing it to my primary monitor and I rebooted but I still cannot overclock. :(
    [​IMG]

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    only thing i can suggest is to reinstall riva, and do the g92 config edit again

14. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Yop

look what I got now Marri, not purchasing at all but it's true RT 2.05 roxx in my case: [​IMG] [​IMG]

In deed 648Mhz core is too risky ! sheers yoo
    I could have done more pics BUT I sincerely are clear enough that it is 2.05 that clocks sli correctly :banana: along with 169.17 in this case(no infinite loop yet, pffiouh !).
    I'd say there is an increase of 2-8 fps according to the areas and what I'm doing, also where I look, at a given moment. I'll certainly update tis post with more pics of other areas, I'm sooo glad with this new finding :nerd:

sorry I'm enthousiast punk :bounce:

15. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Marri to your Edited post: I tried nTune6.0beta, and ..., no thanks, beuaargh ! heavy, fancy, not my style so I got rid of 'em, Riva is such a pearl, even if I can't use it full yet.

Bios OCing, the only good way to proceed ;) but you probably know that.

16. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    I'm glad your things working now....
    So fun it must be to get more fps in Crysis on the same system without any patch etc...
    Yeah , I clock through the bios , always .... ;)
    nTunes sometimes is handy if you want windows to crash.. :D
    Heavy indeed...

Then again really am glad...
    Quite a bump up in performance you have there...
    :D

17. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
  18. azetab

azetab Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512 MB OC
    I did this and I can now overclock!! :flip2:

19. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Glad it worked :p:)

20. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It was repeated numerous times in the forum that Vista specific overclocking interfaces providing shader domain clock control and SLI system is a "no go" combination under Windows XP. So you can use 2.06 with SLI under Windows XP too, but you have to disable Vista specific overclocking interfaces for SLI overclocking as it is explained in 2.06 release notes:

- Now RivaTuner also uses Vista specific NVAPI interfaces for driver-level thermal monitoring, overclocking and fan control under Windows XP for the ForceWare 167.xx and newer drivers. NVAPI usage can be either completely restricted by setting NVAPIUsageBehaviour registry entry to 0 or alternately NVAPI usage can be partially restricted just for some driver-level tasks with NVAPIThermalControl, NVAPIClockControl and NVAPIFanControl registry entries.