Best Cooler for 3870?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by karlpox, Dec 25, 2007.

1. karlpox

karlpox Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GTX Ultra
    The Thermalright HR-03 or Thermaltake DuOrb? Or do you have other cooler in mind?

2. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Hr-03 is the best gpu cooler out. o_O.

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i would get the Thermaltake DuOrb..

4. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    I'd personally would get Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and use it passively or for safety I'd slap Scythe Slipstream fan on it. Now that's value. Hr-03 is bit more effectiver and more versatile but you buy two accelero S1's with price of single HR-03 GT.

5. karlpox

karlpox Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GTX Ultra
    does the AC Accelero S1 cools better than the Thermaltake DuOrb? The TR HR-03 takes too much space but with an BTX setup its no problem.

6. karlpox

karlpox Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GTX Ultra
    do i need some ram sinks for the TT DuOrb?

7. non

non Member

GPU:
    HD4870 Sonic
    by default AC S1 is far better choice, since its temperature margin only a bit higher than the much more expensive HR03, and it can be used 2 blow the ramsink & PCB if u put 2 x12 cm fan like this :

[​IMG]

Even 4 better performance if u put 2 fans the price is still cheaper than HR03 . And also it's better cooler than duo orb unless u're looking 4 modding PC

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  8. karlpox

karlpox Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GTX Ultra
    can i still go for xfire i have the ac s1 with 2 fans attached to it?

9. non

non Member

GPU:
    HD4870 Sonic
    nope, altough the Cf bridge is ribbon it's not long enough. Besides the frame position directly ontop of the CF notch. Unless S1 is for the 2nd card

For CF u can consider duo orb or zerotherm GX810. Geez, its very hard to find zerotherm in my country..but it's a good aftermarket cooler because 6 months ago i reviewed it 4 the indonesian distributor. And definetely it's a good looking cooler

10. MonGreL

MonGreL Member

GPU:
    Asus 6950/6970 @950/5600
    The stock cooler is excellent as long as you're willing to mod it slightly by replacing the awful thermal pads with good quality paste and filing down the screw retaining bosses on the memory heatsinks until they're only about 2mm proud of the base of the heatsink.

With Riva Tuner running the fan at a pretty quiet 53% the carrd now runs at 56 degrees under load and 34 degrees at idle (so about 30 degrees cooler than standard) and this is o/clocked at 850/1300.

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    i'm wondering if Thermaltake DuOrb works with my 2900?....i searched the net but didn't find the answer i wanted...so maybe it works....

12. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    What would you guys say is a good replacement paste for the ramsinks for the s1? I've heard the ramsinks don't stick very well.

13. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    With S1+fans you don't need sinks. Arctic Cooling says VRM sinks and Ram sinks aren't necessary with S1. Not even with passive use under their own tests.

14. BeowulfCro

BeowulfCro Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870
    So I mounted 2 Zalman VF1000-Cu on my 2 3870. No problem with mounting or CF bridge.
    Only thing is that I didn't have enough of that little coolers for ram, so I had to go any buy a pack.

And now my idle temp is 28 and after 1h of 3dmark06 it hit 57.
    Ill post screenshots soon.
    Great cooler. Expensive but It done some great job! :banana:

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    great dude...and what about the noise levels?.....i read some reviews and VF-1000 it's a very good cooler...i might even buy me one:)

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    the DuOrb works with geforce 8800series, radeon x19xxseries,HD2900series and HD3870 as far as i know..

17. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    wait.. so does the accelero with two 120mm fans on it actually cool better than the DuoOrb?

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    good to know...:D

19. non

non Member

GPU:
    HD4870 Sonic
    2 x12 on S1 certainly better than duo orb because it evenly blow the pcb & ramsink/whatever at higher cfm rather than duo orb.

And unfortunately yes, S1 ramsink doesnt stick very well. but it's not an issue if u plan 2 use it on 3870 since its default ram/mopsfet sink is good enough

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    My current GPU temp is ~53 at idle with the S1, but no fan. It doesn't go much past 70 at load.