Considering Phenom 9500. Anybody here with one?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by R@ven, Dec 17, 2007.

1. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    2xBFG 8800GTS320 @g615/m1730/s1449
    Wait for AMD to fix the bug. I have 9600... NO GOOD :'(

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    You want to support AMD for making rubbish products that are late to market and need to be fixed once they get their? Why should you be supporting such activities?!?! Yorkfield is so much better than phenomial failure. The only reason you would buy one is if you already have an am2 motherboard.

3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    SPAM SPAM SPAM!!! Go back to your cave, Intel-boy. Go showing off that e-pen of yours as i don't care! Like Intel didn't make any mistakes in the past (Pentium-FPU bug in the mid 90's and the P3, which wasn't really an improvement compared to the P2. Same goes for the P4 and thank God that Intel dropped the netburst architecture)

If i or someone else likes to buy AMD/ATi/Intel/Nvidia or whatever for their own reasons, let them! But somehow you can't cope with the fact that some don't think like you do. Tough isn't it?

As for me, i'm happy with what i have and i don't need that UBER horsepower for those 9999 fps. 60 FPS and steady is more than enough.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    D9E... its going to be called the D9E.:bang:

5. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    I totally agree. why dis AMD, but hey if you want to by intel go for it, if you want to buy ati go for it, if you want to buy anything... it's your choice..... just dont dis people who dont have what you have. its not nice.

6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    I have wounder'd how much faster is the phenom then my current processor for gaming? Just curious cause all i need is a bio update to install the phenom 9500.

7. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    DO NOT GO FOR PHENOM YET!!!!! wait until they have sorted the erratum issue. wait for the B3 revision of the chip.

8. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Somebody please tell me if they have actually had to deal with the TLB bug. I have the 9500 and its worked fine on both my crosshair mobo and the m3a32-mvp. Once the 9600 BE comes out I'll see what I can do to show you guys that the phenom really is better at multicard configs, I'll get a pair of 3850's to do it with as well. I'm also getting a regular 9600 to play around with so I'll see what it can do.

And please, don't diss what you don't own.

9. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    @oldguy932. I aint dissing AMD, I LOVE AMD!! I have just had a very bad exprince with the 9600... Its causing me no end of grief. Might be my set-up, I'm not sure. But ever since I have had my 9600 in my rig it has been causing issues......

10. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    Heres the post I put on AMD's processor forum...

Ever since purchasing and installing the Phenom processor I have had nothing but problems. My system frequently crashes and I have had numerous BSOD's, my games are suffering and my audio is now totally useless as it crackles, pops and hisses all the time. I use my PC for gaming, web-design, video editing, audio creation and a little 3D design. I love AMD CPU's I have had them in all of my rigs, in fact all 3 of the PC's in my house are AMD based and built by myself. I previously had an AMD X2 6000+ in my rig and that had no issues at all. Today for example, I was burning a data DVD and my machine just froze, thus wasting a blank DVD, also when trying to play Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War, the intro screen just seems to hang, I press alt-tab and I have to crash out of it using the task manager. When I have had a few screens open I.E. MSN Messenger, computer, Outlook and browsing a DVD, it seems to take a veritable age for one or another to come to the fore of the system, or when browsing a DVD it seems to hang, the screen locks up and I cant use the keyboard, if I leave it for a couple of minutes it all snaps back. I have even tried re-formatting my HDD and re-installing Vista, however this has made no difference. Now for a Quad-Core CPU I would've thought that it could handle multiple tasks without an issue. This really is not the case for me. The Athlon X2 6000+ I had in previously could handle all of the above without breaking a sweat. My system specs are as below.

Processor: HD9600WCGDBOX (Phenom 9600)

Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR, Revision A2, ACPI BIOS Revision 0904

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700-LED

Power Supply: Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)

Graphics: 2X BFG 8800GTS 320 OC (SLI Configuration)

Memory: OCZ 4GB (4x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - Retail (ST3750640AS-RK)

DVD-RW: 2X Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A 18x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming-Grade Illuminated Keyboard - Retail (967599-0120)

Mouse: Logitech S96 PS/2 Optical Wheel Mouse Black - OEM

Soundcard: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer FPS

Speakers: Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers - OEM

Operating System: Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

11. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Did you try running it with only 2 sticks of ram rather than 4? That's really the only thing I can think of other than maybe not having enough power, but that's my opinion. I have the PC Power and Cooling 750W running the phenom system, and it runs fine. It has dual x1650 xt's atm, but I'm putting them in a computer for my brother for an xmas gift.

12. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    The processor is $200, wait til the fix the bug and you might have the best budget quad core processor.

13. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    Wow im sorry for saying AMD's current lineup is rubbish. Are you disputing that phenom is a failure? It doesn't beat Yorkfeild (or even kentsfield) and is slower than K8 with the TLB workaround. Then theres the fact that it was late and now theres a stop ship order. And now, their top end 9700 and 9800 processors have been delayed to q2 of 08.

Intel processors were rubbish up until core2 duo. No one is disputing that netburst is a pile dog poo. but the fact of the matter is, intel is on top atm and looks to be for a while.

14. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Why, they have only been delayed to q1 or have I missed something?

Anyway the Phenom isn't so bad imo. It might not be as good as the Intel Quads atm but it only is a few weeks old. Most of the mainboards don't fully support it's features (AM2) and the manufacturers don't have experience with the new AM2+. Also there are some issues with BIOSes. And btw. Intel also has some great problems with it's Yorkfield processors. They don't run stable at least with 1333 Mhz FSB. :p That's why they are delayed, too.

As for the TLB bug: It might actually be noticeable in normal useg as some of the Phenoms only run at their normal speeds or slightly higher and others overclock to 3 Ghz and more. I did however not read about much in between, you either have a "good" Phenom or not. Maybe the bug shows itself here (I hope so as this would make the next stepping great overclockers :D).

15. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    But still, i didn't mind people buying P4's at the time. It's their choice, but apparently, some find others stupid, just because they don't buy that "ownage C2D/Q", but an AMD based system.

Guess what? I don't care what the Intel fanboys (or any other <name company> fanboy) think. If i like AMD (i like it bacause the're not using FSB and the mem controller is build in the CPU), then let me and don't come shouting "AMD is rubbish!!!!! %#$$"

Btw, i've heard another bad news today about the B3 Phenom revisions. :( AMD postponed it to Q2 2008 instead of Q1. :( :( :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    heres a question if you have brought a cpu with these issues , when the ver 3 comes out will you be able to change it .
    i was lucky i was going to get one of these untill i heard of the bug , my friend alas just brought one , will he be able to change it as the fix is no good.

18. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    @kevin. I have sent an email to AMD asking more or less the same question.... I will let you know if and when they respond.

19. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Why buy such a processor thats bugged? Wait til the fix the bugs and you wont lose this 20% performance and overclocking headroom that you do not receive with the current batch.

These quad core cpus are going to end up on the budget line. But at the same time they still are not horrible. But certainly anyone should go intel if they have the performance in mind + the money to spend.

AMDs main products are currently budget parts, oddly enough a lot of people all around the world are on a budget.

20. jasonmsw

jasonmsw Member

GPU:
    The only reason I bought the CPU was because I wanted a kick-ass AMD quad-core..... I didnt do my research before hand, bigger fool me, I know. But I live in hope that AMD will be really kind.........