Catalyst 7.12

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by enessel, Dec 20, 2007.

1. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    YOu are wrong, people have the right to say ATI is screwing them... who died and made you god..:3eyes:

don't be a control freak... ATI licensed their product out for AGP video cards and therefore have a duty to support them... pull your head out and let others live without your ridicule.. where do you idjuts come from?
    :3eyes:

2. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    7.12 Cats =>>> color texture corruption on maps in IL-2 1946. :3eyes:

wtf happened? :puke2:

3. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    AMD/ATI happened. :bang:

From reading the release notes, there's more unresolved than there is fixed. Quite sad. :/

4. Shuffl@

Shuffl@ Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5870M
    Running 7.11 on my 512mb agp x1950pro and all seems just sweet i think ill stay where i am and leave the 7.12's alone.

on a lower note why do "some" of you pciXer's slate agp owners ??

It may have been dying for years but its still here and i can play any game at awesome image quality and wont upgrade until the agp cannot handle it anymore.

still i guess support ends some time thats life. loads saying they'll jump to Nv but its just as bad over there in the green fields as it is in the red.

Merry Xmas peeps.

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I think its because they feel superior that they are not on previous technology. They want to feel elite. :nerd:
    A bit of insecurity to be honest.

Sadly that's what too many people seem to fail to realize.

Yeah, thats why I left NVIDIA last Christmas/New Year. Now it seems ATI are just as bad as NVIDIA to this day, and now screwed on where to go. :/

Though a year ago I couldn't whine about ATI's drivers. I never have I don't think. Things just worked, and things were always usually fixed the next month. Now things remain broken for endless months.

6. danylati

danylati Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati HD 2900XT Saphire 512Mb
    7.11 and 7.12 is the same for me, nothing improved :puke2:

7. Pelle V

Pelle V New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512 AGP

As I se it the only way to suport is to have full compability when as they do exclude agp why not exclud win xp it dying aswell
    Nvidia still includs agp a reson to bay nvidia insted off ati :bang::bang:

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That better not happen. Vista still isn't anywhere as good as XP yet, and here we are a year later with Vista. *Laughs*

It's still got too many flaky issues, and for that reason I wont be ditching XP anytime soon. Which is why I dual boot, and 9/10 I'm always in XP.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Drop it, XP will maybe die totally in end 2009 or at 2009, there is NO dx10 game from finger to head tht actually works good and look much superior than DX9, Vista has it's bugs, nVidia has laggy vista display drivers(some games work good, some not), XP dominates must of the market like 85%, that a number that can't be reduced quickly.
    To sum it up, Vista will become the future once all is settled and done, however now it lyies in the Casket that the Undertaker has built for his victim.

10. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    Grow up, Jonnyboy, and take a look at the facts. The X850XT AGP is still available in shops and is on stock there. It is then listed among the supported cards in the release notes as well. You better believe it.

Sven

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Member Guru

GPU:
    6600gt & X1900
    Decane's gamma/brightness issues

I've had that forever in all games Decane, that games get dark, what I do to fix that is assign a hotkey to increase gamma and one to decrease it, then if I use either it suddenly jumps to the previous set gamma and I can see stuff.
    Unfortunately when they made the 'new' CCC they removed that hotkey and so I've been using ancient drivers since then, although I could have started using a 3rd party app like atitools, but whenever I read about driver updates and all the issues then I always end up not updating and sticking with my stable old drivers that don't seem to have all those issue reported, so I never needed 3rd party apps.

12. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Hmm... That's peculiar.. Definitely not normal, though... They actually fixed the issue in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Catalyst 7.9, 7.10 and 7.11, but now the bug has re-surfaced with 7.12 (the first time I came across it was with Cat 7.8). What is ATI doing..? :frown:

13. Mark C Dodd

Mark C Dodd New Member

I have been in the IT industry for over 40 years.

I used to have my own chain of computer stores until people started buying on price instead of service.

All of this ATI and nVidia bashing is just garbage.

Both are guilty of bringing out bad products and/or drivers that have "regression" bugs. This is no different than any other hardware manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Who was silly enough to buy a 5900 Ultra the week they came out so you could play all those wonderful new DX9 games coming out? Only to find out that nVidia assumed Microsoft were going to adopt their interpretation of the shader model only to find the released DX9 code ran like a dog on their top end GPU? It did not matter how much you complained to nVidia, you were stuck with the most expensive video card lemon ever. To this day I am amazed they weren't ripped to shreds in the online press.

That stuff up turned me from nVidia to ATI and for quite a while they were, in every way, the wiser choice. Then comes along DX10 and nVidia take the lead. So I purchased an EN8600GT 512MB fanless for my Multimedia Box. Nothing but crash issues from day 1. Got the card replaced in case I had a dodgy one and it too crashed. Started noticing a lot of forums had users reporting an issue with the 8600 chipsets and particular ASUS motherboards. Replaced the motherboard and no problems.

The moral of that story is that a combination of extremely complex pieces of hardware failed to work reliably together. Not a bad video card. Not a bad motherboard. Just a bad combination. It would have been wrong to jump into a forum like this and rip into either company.

This unforeseen compatibility problems are not new. Back in the late 80's I had a combination of HP PC and Compaq video card that used to result in the tantalum capacitors on the video card setting alight!

The point of my rambling is this. If an individual had an issue then it does not make a product bad. If lots of people have the same issue then response of the manufacturer should decide on how we treat them in forums like this.

One day after the drivers are released is not giving them time to respond.

I have had none of the issues reported here on my 3870 including the font issue under XP. If I did have an issue then I accept the complexity of the myriad combinations of hardware/software as a likely cause. I have something they missed in testing. Fully understandable! I will do as I have always done. Ask for assistance from the manufacturer and only when the response is not good enough will I bother complaining in a forum and usually that is to educate people, not claim company X or Y is crap etc.

14. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    Sorry to hear you lost your shirt in computer retail , but I'm sure you won't be the last . Compusa is going under in 08. Online sales are just blowing retail stores away !

Back to the real problem is that 7.7 work in my pc , 7.8 and newer are failures , ATI has changed something and it causes probems with many AGP cards ! They had it right and now they ruined it for many ! The funny thing is that it may force people to upgrade , upgrade to nVidia !

15. HKPolice

HKPolice Member

Same here with XP64 :bang:

16. Razoola

Razoola Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 (MSI gaming)
    I can understad why some none AGP card owners are getting fed up with those of us who have not upgraded yet. But why should we? The release notes for 7.9, 7.10. 7.11 and 7.12 clearly show support for older AGP models like mine as well as the newer AGP models.

I personally have given Feedback to ATI (cat feedback crew) on every release about this problam and have also taken it up with AMD customer serviceve who told me its a known problem and the only way to get it fixed is to report it to the cat feedback crew. going around in circles again.

What annoys me on top of this is that I have written to a few hardware sites about this problem and yet none of them have picked up on it. I'm sure if one of the big hardware reviewer (like Guru3d) had picked up on this at the start (like when I first reported it as possible news for Guru3D after 7.9 cats release) this problem would have been solved by now. In fact I have sent this as possible news to a few sites (about 4) but as of yet yet none have reported it on news pages which leads me to believe ATI are trying to hide this.

17. Mark C Dodd

Mark C Dodd New Member

Sold the stores for a good price as I could see the writing on the wall, the buyer didn't. They quickly ruined the business.

Back to the drivers....

I think the problem is both companies are trying to do "covers all products" drivers.

This means the lines of code in the driver make a sudden increase when a new chipset is released.

Both companies then tend to concentrate on fixing bugs affecting the current cards they are making the profit on and which they need to sell more of.

The increasing code size and emphasis on latter chip sets results in the inevitable regression bugs.

All coding teams have a triage where the known problems are sorted in terms of priority. They then give a time estimate to fix each issue and eventually come up with the "must fix for next release" list. This triage is almost always purely a technology driven decision making process. Very rarely have I seen anything but rudimentary marketing impact statements being used by the technical gurus. So the marketing or PR people rarely get to influence the fix list so the fact that thousands of people are gnashing their teeth in online forums is irrelevant. That is until the more popular sites pick up on the groundswell and run a few articles on it. A lot of managers/directors/CEOs read these websites and then take pro-active action when seeing anything that may affect the bottom line profits of the company. Some companies do the opposite to what they should, take Apple and their monitor fiasco this week.

So even though we may have dozens of people report the same issue in the Guru3D forums and dozens more at other forums, unless a well read site such as Gamespot or Tom's Hardware pick it and run it as an article there is little chance it will come to the attention of those people who may do something about it.

18. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    its common sense.. AGP is supported but PCI-E users are more important than AGP. I think AMD/ATI would rather solve problems on their PCI-E line because thats main stream users have and it will help them in the future to solve the PCI-E problems to the next generation. AMD/ATI is in competition with nvidia with their top end/mid stream cards so why would they fix problems for cards that...................suck?

Dunno if that made sense.. in my head it sounded right :S :bang:

19. ninelives

ninelives Guest

right.....................

20. CoffinDancer

CoffinDancer Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 Pro PCIe 512mb
    why is that so hard to believe?

i started programming mainframe compies in 1970, and building and supporting pc's in 1998.

and (unfortunately) will be turning 57 on 01/05. :)

so he's just a little older farte than i am, and quite credible!! :)

gl,hf
    CD