RivaTuner 2.06

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by duchess, Dec 12, 2007.

1. duchess

duchess New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO
  2. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

I have a couple rigs with 7900gtx cards in them. I used the guides to learn how to make my fan speed profiles, and apply those to the gpu temp plugin in the monitoring section. Initially I used 3 speeds, and 3 thresholds. Something like:
    Fan 60>30c
    Fan 80 > 35c
    Fan 100> 40c

To note, that on each threshold above, I had on upward crossing values above, and the below crossing values were one step slower.

That worked fine for me. But when examining the graphs, I would see the fans going up, then down, then up, then down. Due to the game loading new maps or other such stuff.

If you have achieved some fan profiles, some launchers, and some thresholds to trigger those launchers at certain temps, then you have it down. Now you just need to decide if you wish to have it as quiet as possible always, or like me, just quiet when not gaming.

Hope that helps.

And specifically, I used boogies. I thought it was better when I was learning.

MrWoo

3. duchess

duchess New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO
    Ok thanks. I think I got it. But...which one is Boogies? LOL! I checked and neither of those say Boogie. I used the one from the comcast.net website to set my speeds up. But, I was also told that I can go into the low level fan settings and set it to say 100 and the fan would be loud but it would keep the card cooler.

Note..when I used the above mentioned website to set everything up, I did not once hear the fan come on. I don't know if that means that the setup didn't "take" or I did something wrong. I also just read that the prog has to be running for this to work. I did not know this. So I guess I have to have RivaTuner in my task bar running all the time for it to keep the card cool, right?

4. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

I assume I guess that since boogie's address is in some of the url's from the comcast one that it is his, or he is hosting it anyway.

To maybe paraphrase what is happening, you are going to low level device settings and you can change the fan speed by setting the slider to % and apply. If your card does not go up, either you have not checked the box that says "enable low level fan control", or your card is not capable. Most cards that I have used since the 5900 have some sort of control.

Once you can 'hear' your fan go up or down by you applying the %, you are mostly clear. Follow the setup to make 2 fan speeds. A low one like 50% and a high one like 100%. You are setting the % with the slider, then apply. Once you do that, you can save that % as a profile. Name them accordingly.

So now you have 2 profiles. Simple test now would be to make 2 launcher items, one for hi and one for low. Go ahead and give them a hotkey. Now, as long as RT is running, just hit each hotkey. You 'should' be able to hear the % difference. If in doubt, you can open the monitoring module and see the rpm or fan duty cycle.

Once you verify your fan does in fact change, and that you can make a profile, and a launcher, you should be set. The tutorial should guide you through the rest.

Also, you can set RT to start up via a reg key or the startup folder. And also a good idea to tell it to drop to tray on close, so you have to actually close it by using the tray icon. It sits down in the tray awaiting your commands.

Good luck.
    MrWoo

5. duchess

duchess New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 2600PRO
    Sweet. Thank you so much for explaining it and for the patience with me :) Sometimes it takes a sledgehammer to get the information to settle in my old, feeble mind :knock:

6. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

NP. This is sort of an advanced tool. Even though you are using if for only fan control at this point, it is meant for so much more.

It is common in this forum to be told to RTFM, or read the manual. I have, multiple times. Sometimes the answers lie there for me, sometimes it is via the context help, sometimes it is just clicking and examining. Most often though there is no other way than trying things out and seeing what happens. As long as you don't OC, just click and look. The author has an amazing amount of stuff packed inside of it. And there is context help everywhere, more so than most utilities like this, by far.

Biggest thing is to experiment. I know the parts of it that I use pretty well now, but there is sooo much to it that I doubt I could even tell someone over the phone how to do it the first time, let alone via forums. Believe me, I have done the phone thing.

Keep plugging away at it, eventually something will 'click' and you will see how it all inter-relates. Then you will really have things the way you want.

MrWoo