Blank Screen With 169.XX's???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Copey, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    i get it with anything from .09 and upwards including the new 13's.

Seems asif the monitor doesnt respond as it boots into windows, might just be a vista problem but want to see if anyone else has this problem or might have found a solution.

2. dualloop

dualloop Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    Hey, i think i have a solution to your problem.
    I have had this problem, its a reccuring problem from 169.09 onwards.
    The 8800 GTS has an s-video port on it, for some reason, from 169.09 onwards, the driver seems to try and get a signal from the s-video port even though nothing is plugged in. Mine would get to display the welcome screen on the desktop but then just switch.
    To solve the problem, you need to keep your DVI cable plugged in to your Card and monitor but plug in an s-video cable aswell and then connect it to your monitor, im assuming your monitor has one. Switch the monitor onto the s-video display, and, using windows monitor display settings, enable the second display(DVI), set the second display as primary and then switch back to DVI on the monitor and then disable the first display(s-video).
    It took me a while to figure out the problem.
    I did send a bug report to Nvidia but it seems they have taken no notice.
    Also, what operating system and BIT are you using?

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB

Vista Home Premium 64-bit at the minute, cheers for the reply il have to check if i have the right input and cables and try it over the weekend.

4. dualloop

dualloop Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    let me know if it fixes your problem

5. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    The easiest way is to just remove your s-video cable from the card while installing any of these new drivers. After installation you can connect s-video again. It's a bug that nvidia hasn't fixed in these beta releases.
    With only DVI or VGA connected while installing there should be no blank screen.

6. dualloop

dualloop Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    I think he said that he wasn't using an s-video cable, just a DVI.
    This is the same problem i had(and still do with all the drivers from 169.09 onwards), the driver would switch from DVI to s-video after logging on to the desktop.
    its quite a recent bug but nvidia just wont fix it.

7. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    yeah i aint using an S-video cable, will have to test 2morow but will update with the news, need to check my monitor has the input and i actually have a S-video cable first, i submitted a bug to nvidia anyway so hopefully will get fixed.

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    daulloop: have you tired the 169.17's ?? is the problem fixed as i aint going to bother trying if it isnt.

9. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    My workaround for this bug is not to uninstall any old drivers before betas, first tried to install 169.13 after uninstalling old ones but got black screen, then installed 163.75 WHQL and made my settings to video options, then installed 169.13 and today installed 169.17 top of that.

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah but there will still be files left from the 163.75 install, you should allways driver sweep and do a fresh install.

11. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    Thats what i have always done, fresh install. But didn't get new betas on vista work other way. Temporary solution until new beta/WHQL drivers come with this bug fixed.

12. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    did you try the 169.17's with a fresh install??

cheers for the replys so far guys!!

13. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    i didn't try fresh install, gonna try that now, nothing else to do

14. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    I get this with 93.71 driver, lol.. think there's more to it than a driver bug *looks at Microsoft*

15. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    o.k mate gud stuff, report back!!

16. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    Bloody hell, 169.17 does work :bonk: had to make sure so i did fresh install two times with and without s-video plugged and of course used driver sweeper in safe mode before installing. But 169.09 and 169.13 didn't work with fresh install for me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Ahhhh, looks like i will have to give them a go, cheers mate.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    wow! i am having the same problem and thought my monitor was dying even made a thread in the General Hardware was about to get a new monitor mine is 17" benq 25ms RT, i will buy the new monitor anyway because these days LCD are cheaper and you can get these cool 2/4ms widescreen monitors.

i am a windowsxp user and i get the signal problem, the monitor keeps flashing and flashing making weird sounds most of the time displaying Video Not Supported bouncing around.
    in my case if you leave the monitor turned on for a while and it start to warm up the issue goes away and functions are restored.

so either the 169.09 are scrwing up something (might kill the monitor?) or maybe i'm having a completely different issue here.

19. dualloop

dualloop Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    The problem still exists in 169.17, had to do the s-video and dvi cable workaround to enable the dvi connection once again.
    Thanks Nvidia:bang:

20. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    I take my words back that 169.17 works :D i reinstalled today these drivers and that problem was back, tried 169.12 and these worked fine? Seems to be on/off bug for me :D