xp is calling me back

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by smoo, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    ^^ Agree 210%

smoo is not upgrading to Vista he is asking about if he should go back to XP. But some of you seem very concerned about letting everyone know the fact that you don't think it's worth the upgrade. However smoo already have Vista and so there is nothing saved, in fact only wasted. You are almost making it sound like all the money you are not willing to spend on Vista would be okay for him to just throw out the window (no pun intended) going back to XP (Im not saying it can't be some OEM version which came with the system, but still.).

Please lets try to keep it on track...pretty please with sugar on top. :p

2. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    He needs to keep Vista.

2000 Pro was a great operating system, very stable by SP4.....but there were jsut things you couldnt do in it anymore and that required XP. The same will happen with Vista.

If he already spent the money there is no reason to go back.

EDIT: Sorry for going so off topic but the negligent thinking that Finchy displays quite often gets on my nerves. The so called "Server Goblin" didnt even know that IIS supports FTP protocol :heh:

3. smoo

smoo Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX260 Gainward
    thanks for all the help

im happy with dual booting at the moment i prefer vista as a OS

XP just seems like home :)

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    i think i failed to mention vista works better for me ;) and is smoother then xp all around

5. michael06096

michael06096 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
  6. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    LOL, no my friend, I'm just saying vista irritates me and yes I turn it off with about 40% of other services I don't use, vista is way too bloated.

And yes I think I have a good amount of intelligence, thank you:nerd:

7. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Well as far as I'm concerned Vista is inferior to XP running games. Plain and simple it doesn't even hold a candle to XP.

I have tweaked my Vista, turned off all unnecessary services etc and it fails to even come close to how XP performs with the same games. For example, WiC runs without a whimper on XP, it's a slideshow on Vista even at cut resolution and quality. Anything HL2 seems to be slowed down, though I have good fps it sometimes appears I'm or the game is in slow motion. I've tested quite a few games and the only one that seems to play the same or better would be Bioshock. Maybe this is all related to still poor display drivers, but I tried a few with little to no success.

Vista is not worth nuking my XP and moving to it. It's very bloated and obviously not very well optimized in any sense of the word. I think anyone in this thread trying to solicit otherwise is not being honest and I don't personally care to argue with someone who's going to sit and be defiant about Vista. If it works for you, somehow, good for you. But when I look at people who sit there trying to say it runs great, I look at their hardware and can pretty much figure they are BS'ing for some stupid reason. I mean, I even went with Readyboost which to me is a total gimmick because it did absolultely zero for me. I have a 4GB USB drive sanctioned to be the best for Readyboost and yet it wields me nothing in return.

Although Vista is pretty as hell, it's by far NOT a replacement for XP. This statement pretty much lines up with anyone else I know who's tried to run it. Oh well, glad I tried it. Maybe SP1 will improve things but I think it's gonna take a LOT longer. I'll dual boot from here on thanks.

8. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    I had to reply to this because it's monumnetal of lots of people on these forums that make up their own ideas on what people said or just plainly can't read english. Jordus, read this...

I swear I could of punch my screen because of that conformation box popping up, I know how to turn it off.

Did he say he broke his monitor? No he didn't but you took the time to reply to him and put him down when all along you can't read and comprehend the english in front of your face. I think the 'Genius' tag you give him should be squarely placed on your blockhead.

9. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

in my opinion i'm going to wait till vista has time to mature. I was running 64 bit Vista but i realized that my system being almost 3 years old is really not ment for Vistas resource hungry slaughter. Until they fix the need for 700mb of used ram while doing squat i'll stick with xp...plus my sound card sounds better under xp then it does vista, which is a whole other can of worms. Needless to say i'm giving vista the time mature as i did with xp. Jordus, you are right 2k was a great os but did not do alot of things xp did.

SMOO basically i would choose something that works for you.:)

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    your sole and extremely linear, less-than-thrilling experience with vista does not make it a scientific fact of truth to the whole of others who have better experiences with it. there is no single piece of computer software out there that runs exactly the same on any of the thousands of various computer hardware and near infinite variations combined. every enthusiast knows that especially those who use various hardware all the time.

some like it, some dont, some like OSX and some dont, some like Linux and some dont...so what point are you soliciting exactly? or are you just saying everyone who has more fun with Vista than XP is a liar? must be part of the MS conspiracy huh? better wear some aluminum foil on your head so MS doesnt get to you too.

11. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    ^^ edit: or is that << Agree wholeheartedly

Also in case smoo's post drowned this is the conclusion to this thread.
    This is why the thread was made, it is not a Vista pinata.

12. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    I'm saying I will keep a dual-boot. I have a steel plate in my head, no need for aluminum. :biggun:

13. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Thanks Flukester lol.
    Vista does run fine and dandy don't get me wrong, when you have a mammoth amount of ram and an uber fast quad core cpu running flatout is when you can get satisfactory performance out of it, and yes I understand why m$ brought vista out a year ago because m$ will never be able to make a service pack fix. But man, it's too much stuff I don't need and if you don't know how to disable it, then you're buggered with slow performance and irritating pop ups, at the least m$ could have put an uninstall on most of it in the windows components section. Buy me a £1500 pc Mr G and then I'll buy vista 64 ultimate and all your add ons, but untill then not for me.

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Hmm i don't know i was running Vista on a P4 ("c" the old one with 512K cache) and 1GB RAM and it never gave me any issues. Sure it was not super great or anything but it was not bad either. Though i never really gamed much as i saw no reason to. I did not have a DX10 card back then and with all my games installed on XP why even bother to migrate them to Vista (or worse dual install them).