Thinking 8800GT... Should I ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by thejamppa, Dec 5, 2007.

1. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    The new 8800GT that they are now shippingwith bigger fan seems much more quieter and bit cooler big plus for me. I am now thinking to go back nVidia ( I had 7900 GS sli prior getting HD 2900 Pro and new system ) But I am not satisfied with its AA performance.

So I am thinking to get either HD 3870 or 8800 GT. If I go 8800GT I will loose the ability to upgrade later on crossfire.

I like my cards cool and quiet and having good AA performance. Should I go for 8800GT or Get 3870 now and later another?

I am still bit weary to see over 90 Degree C's temperatures I've seen in 8800GT as load temperatures. It doesn't seem to be that good option since I plan to keep next VGA card for few years in intensive gaming.

I play games like FEAR, Oblivion etc with eye candy as maxed as possible. Crysis , Aquanox and Assassins Creed are on my buy list. All pretty graphically demanding games. I have 17" CRT "flat screen" so my max resolution is 1280 x 960 or 1152 x 864 in games.

2. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    Y Dont U Buy Another 2900 N Crossfirw Them Lol

3. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Card wise, the GT is the ONE. Cant knock it at all. As for it being quiet, its not as loud as my ol` 1900xt but its getting there with the fan on 80%. Saying that, some ppl are reporting them as quite, depends on whether you notice it or not. Personally i cant hear a thing with all the Death Metal Shenanigins goin` on.

4. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Where you can get another HD 2900 Pro these days?

I am sure with Deathmetal sound is not issue. However my main rig is less than 23 d/BA's.

My game rig doesn't need to be so quiet. But it would be nice to be below 30 d/BA's in desktop using or light gaming.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007

5. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I'm going to run some tests to watch the temps on my 8800GT later this evening, so you may want to stay tuned.

What I can already tell you:
    1. The card sounds like a vacuum cleaner for a couple of seconds after reboot, but it's dead silent after that (stock everything).
    2. The card is overkill for 1280x960 (except for Crysis).

6. mblue

mblue Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX+ 512 sli
    What new fan?

7. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    http://en.expreview.com/?p=78

Overkill for now, but not when when I get 19" TFT when I can crank up way, way, way bigger resolution.

8. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

wawawa

he means the temperature sensors on the evga was fixed with the new batch that come out. and evga also has a bios fix for the people that bought the first batch.i guess the original batch that came out on these cards had problems with the cards speeding up when in heavy use wich caused the heat up.i dont know if other brands are doing it but to be safe go evga.

9. mblue

mblue Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX+ 512 sli
    Very nice.

10. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Actually new fan means that new patch has 75mm x 10mm fan instead 65mm x 10mm fan. And new fan has also more blades.

11. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    That "way, way, way bigger resolution" is actually 1280x1024. That's all a 19" TFT can do (mine included).

And now for the temps: fired 3DMark03 and then 3DMark05 and never reached 80C (78C is the highest I saw in RT). Fwiw, the fan speed is at 29% on my card, idk if that's the standard. So the stock cooler does its job very well if you ask me.

12. A kitten

A kitten Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT 512MB
    I turned the fan speed up as high as it can go, sure it gets a lot louder, but the temperatures never go much above 67 C for me (I run completely stock cooling with only one or two fans though, like the guy that posted above me you probably won't have to turn it that high, as long as you have decent cooling).

Noise has never really been a problem for me though, since I almost constantly have either the washer and dryer of the furnace/water heater running noisily behind me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  13. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

ahahahaha

where you living in a basement for the water heater to br next to you lol:banana:

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Just turn up the volume a tad you will never hear that fan.

15. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

wuwuw

should i stay or should i go oh come on let me know

16. Used_condom

Used_condom Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC
  17. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    yo.

if u ask me i would buy 22 inch tft . u have a nice video for now. go and buy one BIG LCD 22+. couse i think its rediculous to play games on 17'' CRT omg thats funny