60 FPS Limit In Games?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by !nfern0, Nov 29, 2007.

1. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce 7600GS(@560/1620)
    hi..in most of games my fps does not go higher than 60 fps..what should i do for removing this limit?

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If you have LCD and 60 Hz refresh rate and v-sync is off, don't bother - you wont gain anything, it will not get any smoother. Turning V-sync on can cause that too (in that case your minimum and max FPS would get higher if you turn it off so v-sync actually makes your games run slower but you won't get tearing). Check your game option and NVIDIA control panel if v-sync is on, if it is on then set it off.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The frame rate is limited to the refresh rate of the monitor if vsync is enabled. So your refresh rate is 60Hz and you have vysnc on. You can increase the refresh rate or disable vsync in order to go past 60fps but I wouldn't recommend turning off vsync. In fact, you won't be able to tell the difference between 60fps and anything higher. I personally use 75Hz because at 60Hz I can see flickering.

EDIT: Bah, it looks like someone beat me to the punch.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Much of this is moot.

Unless your monitor can show more than 60 new images per second, you get limited use from high frame rates.

Literally no use from high FPS use with vsynch-on

You get some use from high FPS with vsynch-off (image updates as it draws downwards, where top part of screen is more out of date than bottom part)

If you want to make FPS-over-60 really matter, get a CRT and crank up your refresh rate to 85 and higher.

Then you'll actually *see* a significant difference.

(rather than just seeing some readout on an fps-indicator jump around between 60 and 100 fps)

-scheherazade

5. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    your crt is excellent!! o_O your pc is excellent!! I love too your crt! :D

6. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Some games (bioshock, crysis) benifit from turning vsync off. Vsync also can hurt the responsiveness in your games, but it also creates "tearing" on the screen, in which the top half and the bottom half are updated seperatly, but it's hard to notice.

If you are having performance problems in games, turn it off.

7. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce 7600GS(@560/1620)
    well.i asked this,cuz i think pes2008 has a problem with vsync thing cuz if i close it game tears but there are not even one stuttering during the game in anywhere,but if i open it,tearing is gone,BUT,game stutters much more especially around the penalty area..can we play with the options of vsync with a special software or somethin?i really think that both nfs pro street and pes2008 have vsync incompatiblity and this thing makes these games stuttered..

8. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    the games have limit to 60fps (not equal to 60 Hz): pes (3, 4, 5, 6, 2007 and 2008), motogp (1, 2, 3 and 07), etc.
    the games have up to infinite fps: nfs series (most wanted, pro street...), tomb raider (since angel of dankness until anniversary); tmnt 2007; toca race driver (1, 2 and 3), etc.

9. MDCTMan

MDCTMan New Member

GPU:
    Dual XFX / 8800 GTX / 768
    It's a brain thing, any frame rate above 30 registers visually as "real time". Movies were shot at 33fps in the old days to save film, I don't see why GPU manufacturers would waste time / money on boosting frame rates above 60fps for no gain, they can use that power elsewhere, such as the pixel shaders.

10. _RA_

_RA_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX
    23fps

11. Um...TE

Um...TE Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GT
    Vsync helps prevent tearing by limiting the frequency response of your graphics card to that of your monitor. However, the output of your graphics card isn't steady and can, at times, fall below the 60 FPS (or whatever) that your monitor grabs the signal at. So your card keeps one step ahead by double buffering.

Sometimes, though, one step isn't enough. That's where triple buffering comes into play. Turning that on (if you have enough memory on your card) can help by storing another frame ahead of the display. If your graphics card doesn't have enough memory, though, triple buffering will make matters worse.

Now you can skip all this hoosiefudge and just turn off vsync (a lot of folks do), but you'll see screen tearing because your card and monitor will be out-of-sync. In other words, you'll see parts of two different frames placed on screen at the same time.

If you have the horsepower, I'd suggest using vsync. I'd rather see pretty pictures at 60 FPS than a torn screen at 100 FPS (of which, the monitor only displays 60). Turning off vsync can pull your FPS out of the mud, though, if your card doesn't overpower the game requirements.

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    MDCTMan and _RA_, be quiet. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

13. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Standard TV is between 23 and 29 FPS, would you know that by watching it?

14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    We are talking about games, not some damn TV shows. They aren't the same thing.

15. chfields

chfields Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB SC
    Since the brain can't tell the difference between 60 FPS and 600 FPS, the point is moot.......Quit worrying about the frame rate and just enjoy the game!!

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yes.

Any FPS over what your screen freshrate is, is indeed pointless.

Television broadcasts/Rented DVDs/Camcorders all use 60i standard aka 29.976fps.

NTSC Films mostly use 24p while PAL uses 25p as it's standard.

When a film is shot multiple samples of light are interpolated on the same frame. The interpolation leads to motion blur between a frame and the next frame in the sequence. Because of this movies can be shot at a low framerate and have no noticeable difference.

A computer, on the other hand, does not render images the same way a camera captures light. It simply renders the images one a time, and unless some other action is taken to interpolate the images together you need a much higher framerate. Crysis uses blur in it's rendering engine to interpolate the frames, which is why it seems smooth at 20-30fps. Another way to interpolate the frames is by use of field multi-sampling.

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Yep, showing off your 666 fps in Crysis is just for your e-pen enlargement. :)

18. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    I notice a significant difference from 60FPS to 100FPS.

If at 60, it's less responsive, and it isn't INCREDIBLY smooth.

If it goes 75-100, then it's really well for me.

Albiet, some games of mine get 45-50FPS, however that's fine since it's still playable.

But, I'd rather have higher FPS and smoother game play.

19. chfields

chfields Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB SC
    You can see a significant difference between 20 FPS and 60 FPS without a doubt, however, the eyes and brain can't distinguish any difference above 60 FPS. Besides, your monitor only runs at 60-65 FPS, so even if they game is running at 100 FPS you are still only seeing 60-65 FPS.

20. Um...TE

Um...TE Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GT

There's a difference between a card that can barely crank out 60 FPS versus one that can crank out 100 but syncs to the monitor's refresh rate (again, for our discussion, also 60 FPS or 60 Hz).

It, also, depends on what the bottleneck is. If your computer is struggling it doesn't matter what the video card can do, you'll have jerky performance.