8800GT none boot,,

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Arch.nMe, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Guys, just recieved my XFXAlpha Dog Edition. Spent all of last night trying to figure out why it wouldnt boot. Fan kicks in but no screen.
    Having looked around it seems im not alone, could be my PSU isnt giving out enough amps,,

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=251&id=352

On the side of the psu under the 12v it says 18a. There are two 12v markings on the psu and both have 18a printed under them.
    Ive tried everything in the bios that may be relevant but is all a no no. Does anyone know of any problems with this mobo? Or could it be the lack of juice getting to the card?
    Any help would be muchos appreciado,,

2. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I doubt it's the PSU, it's more than powerful enough.

3. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    If its not the PSU then could it be my bios settings? These are the ones that may be relevant:

Init Display First [PEG]
    iGPU Frame Buffer Control [Auto]

PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled
    iGPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
    PCIE Clock [101Mhz] <<< previously set @ 100Mhz !?!
    Robust Graphics Booster [Disabled]
    VGA Core Clock +1%

Resources Controlled by [Auto]
    PCI Latency Timer(CLK) [32]
    PCI 1 IRQ Assignment [Auto]
    PCI 2 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

Theres a post here, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=243301 , about flashing the bios on the card. I have exactly the same problems as HP had on that thread but im not sure about flashing yet. Could it be i have incompatable mobo too?

Ive placed a support ticket with XFX but no answer yet. Bah,,this weekend was gonna be gaming heaven,,:bang:

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I would not be messing with your PCI-E Clock, that isn't going to fix anything or make anything faster. You may have a mobo confliction and that would suck, I'd wait to hear back from XFX and hopefully they'll have a solution. Sorry for your luck man.

5. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    You're power supply is likely OK unless you have a bad +12v rail. The 8800GT only needs a +12v rail of 22a on the +12v rail according to EVGA anyway, and that's the full system not just the card. You probably have at least 28a on the combined +12v rails.

The best thing you could do would be to throw the card in another system if you have access to one.

As far as your motherboard being the cause, it's possible. I would still go through proper channels first before you start flashing your card or mess with BIOS settings. Check with your Motherboard Manufacturer and check for BIOS updates for your motherboard. Biostar for example, released 2 for 8800GT compatibility reasons. Also contact XFX which you already have done and you may also want to try their support forum which is very good and monitored by an XFX Rep....

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Motherboard BIOS released 10/25/07 - You may want to try this for the helluvit ......

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2640

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  6. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Cheers people,,:)

Ill do a post on the XFX boards and see how it goes, aswell as checking with Gigabyte. Nope, i aint gonna touch the bios till all the other channels are exhausted.
    Ill try the cards in a friends rig aswell, here`s hoping its ok. Waited what seemed like Eons for this card to come into stock, and to take it back only to find ill have to wait for another would be a kick in the balls for sure,,

Ill keep you informed,,,Onwards.

Edit,,My cpu is not listed for use with that Bios version,f2.

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2640

Unless it is and im reading it wrong.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
  8. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    That latest bios is listed as F2, next to my cpu it says F1, mmm. Ill give it a go anyways.

9. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    The CPU's in the list which have F2 by them are the ones that just became supported with the F2 BIOS. Your CPU has been supported since the F1 BIOS. Good luck.

10. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Aye, that f2 bios worked on my mobo but the card still doesnt. Will know for certain tonight if its the card or not. A mates gonna try it in his.

Anyways, heres the info from the side of my PSU :

+3.3v - 28a
    +5v - 30a
    +12v1 - 18a
    +12v2 - 18a
    -5v - 0.8a
    -12v -0.8a
    +5Vsb - 2.0a

This look sufficient to you guys?

11. ChillyDogg

ChillyDogg New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gt OC 512
    Have you made sure your card is properly seated?

12. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Yep, its one of them things i double check.

13. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Right guys, took the XFX Alpha back and exchanged it just in case. Gave em a coupla bob extra and got the Extreme Edition.My mate reckons my PSU is fine, it seems that my mobo just cant get the juice running to the card proper. Ive been recommended this mobo, ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi , nice looking bit of kit.
    Hopefully this will solve my problems. Anyone else running this with a 8800gt?

14. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Anyone confirm this mobo to be compatible with the 8800gt?

15. julzz

julzz New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT XXX edition
    I had the same problem on the same motherboards and ended up replacing the Gigabyte motherboard with an ASUS M2N32-WS Pro and now it works as good as gold.... Apparently the nForce 630A chipset is not compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 cards (the 8800GT)

16. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Sorted now,,,Good to go.

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    what fixed it?

18. Amd8800

Amd8800 Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GT SC
    This is why everyone should get evga 8800GT

only requires +12v , 22 amps

seen many people with bad psu playing JUSt perfect.