NVIDIA overclocking,tweaking and cooling....All info you need.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by funkymonkey, Jan 5, 2004.

1. vlad_pusksu

vlad_pusksu New Member

riva tuner 2.03

hello. first of all my english is very bad because i am from roamnia. i need some help with riva tuner 2.03. i'm not interested of OC i just want to modify videocard's(galaxy 8600gt) fan speed. is to noisy(i sleep with my pc on for download). i read the instruction posted on the site but i can't use low-level tweaks...can anybody help me?

2. jrcallan

jrcallan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    I have an 8600GTS and I believe the cards do not have the hardware necessary RT for to control the fan.

However, try ntune. I find it does a good job of adjusting GPU fan speed automatically.

Good luck.

3. vlad_pusksu

vlad_pusksu New Member

ok. thx:cheers:

4. chchaglisha

chchaglisha New Member

Hi all

I have gainward 7900gt/gto graphic card and im using VISTA 32bit, i also have conroexfire motherboard from asrock and 2 gig ram from geil (800 speed) and core 2 duo 6300 proc and no additional hardware except for the stuff on motherboard. I have had the "display stopped responding...." error for almost 6 months now and as i had winxp before vista ive seen alot of crashes since february this year (or so...) on it as well, it all started maybe late january, cant tell if i got new drivers or what but it just started to crash. when i switched to vista i found it great that display driver just recovers in no time and i can continue working/playing without haveing to restart my pc but now its just unusable anymore, the crahes are so frequent that theres no "recovery" anymore. I tried everything realy and the last thing i wanted to try before i dump the whole pc out of the window is to lower the GPU and RAM frequencies to see if maybe the card itself is maybe OCed from the manufacturer and now it just cant run stable anymore....

well the problem is that i cant OC (DC actualy ;P). I have installed coolbits and nvtweak and rivatuner and i tried a lot of different driver versions (the latest official, the newest beta and the last was 158.18) and i had ntune installed AND removed but the frequencies just cant be changed. Ntune reports 550 and 700 mhz at all times as well as riva tuner no matter what i do, i can change the frequency in riva and apply changes and after i start it again its back to old values. i can set the frequencies to load at specific values at window start but it doesnt work, they remain the same.

is my card maybe locked in some way or am i using the tools badly or what? plz gimme some guidelines where to look and what to do.

regards

chicha

5. mafia_boy

mafia_boy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 4gig
    You need to make an OC profile in riva and make sure the "apply OC settings @ windows startup" is ticked! I have the gainward 7900gs with stock settings @ 500/700 but have had no problem like your having? I would say that a RTM is in order here??

6. fittyfene11

fittyfene11 New Member

New gpu info utility:
    GPU-Z

7. madne$$

madne$$ Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5670 512mb
    hey guys.

im planning to buy the 8800GT and i know ill need to upgrade all my pc, but what powersupply would i need to get ?

Thanks guys

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Youll need a psu with atleast 500 watt and 28-30 amps on the 12v rail, try buying a good name brand with atleast 80% efficiency for constant use.

That is if you want to run just a single gpu and not SLI.

9. ForceX

ForceX Member

GPU:
    7900GT SLI 580/1660
  10. Fire488

Fire488 Member

GPU:
    PNY nVidia GTX 260
    8800 Ultra

Hello,
    I have an MSI 880 Ultra series video card. The question I have is regarding over clocking and or not to. I am new to NVidia and have always had an ATI card so I know what i am doing in that department. The questions that are immediately evident to me are what drivers do I need? What over clocking utilities do I need?
    I tried to install an updated driver for my video card and first uninstalled the old versions. The problems arose when during the uninstall process it also removed some mobo drivers as well. I have the striker extreme mob w/680i chipset.
    Any updated help would be appreciated…Thanks

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Fire488 The only two utilities youll need are riva tuner for setting the clocks and atitool for testing them. As for uninstalling drivers, you can use driver cleaner pro avaialble on guru3d, it seperates nvidia and nforce drivers to avoid any problems, also be sure to run it from safe mode.

12. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    How intensly does ATITool test the card? I was able to do a really good clock with no artifacts using the ATITool but whenever I used a burn in program (ozone3d) I ended up getting a hard restart after about 15 minutes.

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Ive used atitool on many cards both Ati and Nvidia and the results have been very good, As far as Burn in programmes go I have never used one, Ive always played 3d intensive games for a few hours and that seems to have worked fine.

Atitool does on occasion need a restart other than that its artifact test utility is mostly very accurate.

14. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    ATi Tool does a good of replicating gaming conditions while burn-in programs induce a state of stress and heat that rarely if ever happens in gaming usage. Originally these programs were designed to insure that critical corporate, institutional and military systems were stable even in extreme (as in extremely unlikely) conditions of operation. Like the poster above says stable gaming over long periods of time is the best stress test for gaming computers, if the settings are abusive it will show.

15. !nfern0

!nfern0 Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce 7600GS(@560/1620)
    i did my 7600gs from 400/1000 to 560/1620 :) core doesn't go further but memory can go i think..

16. menar

menar New Member

vista

hi everybody
    i have Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset video card in my dell inspiron notebook, is there any way to make it Compatible with vista
    thanks
    menar

17. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    My GPU runs at about 42 degrees celsius (idle) to 78 degrees celsius (playing Crysis). I've been overclocking till it hits 85 degrees celsius.

Is this waaay too hot?

18. harvik780

harvik780 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTS 640M SLI,2x8600GT,8800GT
    Your shader clocks are too high for a G80 chip if you don't have a water cooler for it and i don't think you do.I am pretty sure you would be hitting artifacts now which are only noticeable with ATI tool.

19. chimpo

chimpo Member

wonderful post

20. FWFR_Racerxxx

FWFR_Racerxxx New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTS XXX 256Mb GDDR3
    another good post

Front page theres a run thru of how to set your riva fans controls. 8600gts xxx works like a gem!

Anyway just wanted to say good job on original post, man that got my BP down finally. Right now Im up to 782core 1692 shader 1180 mem clocks Mhz. MOBO @ 350 bus 1400 fsb 2100 core. I think im headin in the right direction. THX to all.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008