Scared to trade my GTS 640

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Corndog, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Hi guys,
    Yes, I know, another question regarding the GT. As you all know the trade to a GT is very tempting for us GTS owners. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm about to make a move that I may regret. While I've seen all the reviews and benchmarks that show the GT owning the GTS, I feel that maybe the benchies aren't showing everthing...or maybe even hiding something. What I mean is that, what if I end up switching and the games that come out later show that GTS outpaces the GT with 16xAF/4xAA - at a playable setting of course (I mean who cares if the GTS640 wins even by double the framerates when the frames are 10fps vs 5fps) ? I know that the games that DO show that right now are only at levels where the GTS doesn't have enough horsepower to run anyway.
    Do you guys think there will be games that I will run into that type of scenario? (Where I'll have enough processing power to run a game comfortably at the same time have an edge over the GT because of the 320-bit and 640MB. I want the faster card in ALL scenarios. Not just faster in most, but when I'm really hurtin for the extra performance. I've also heard that while the GT pulls higher frames, it just wasn't as "smooth" of a experience compared to the GTS640 at the same frames during intense situations. I dunno if that's true so I was hoping that someone that used to have a GTS640 and now a GT can tell me if that's the case. Thanks in advance! Peace.

2. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I don't think the increase in performance is worth trading your GTS640 yet. You might be better waiting for the G92 based GTS640, I'm sure you will see a significant increase in performance going that route instead.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The difference between the 2 is negligible anyway, you'll hardly notice a 3% increase in performance. In some games the GTS is stronger yes, and if I were you I'd just keep it, you won't gain a whole lot by getting a GT.

4. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Yea, I know about those as well. But the reason I wanted to jump at this was because I don't think I'll be able to upgrade to whatever that comes along in december (g92/g98). I will be pretty broke then. Just like I am now. The only difference right now is that I will still be able to sell my GTS at a decent price so that the GT would be free. If I wait till then, my current card will be that much harder to sell let alone get what I can now. So, what if I'm trying to make my money go as long as I could? Would the GT be the wiser choice or will I be slapped in the face later?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well that's what I'm doing :p

6. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Arrrrgggh!!! I'm so torn...so can anyone else answer my questions about the GT from my original post about the difference in smoothness at the same FPS during intense gaming? Is that true? The reason I must know this is because when I had my 7900GS volt modded, I got insane 3dmark06 scores. If I can remember correctly, it was 9k-10k. The real life gaming was plagued by jitters, stutters, hitches, thrashing, whatever the f****** thing was. The system the card was in had 2 gigs of RAM, so I don't think it was caused by that. So basically that's what I'm scared of most. High scores and numbers are great, but are those numbers true to real world performance gains over the g80 without it losing frames in between frames (hitches)?

7. tiggie_00

tiggie_00 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA, GTX 660, 2GB
    I owned a 8800gts and my 3dmark03 score was 28k and I returned it because I just bought it. I bought a XFX8800GT and my score went up to 36k. I feel this card is = GTX in my opinion. My 3dmark05 score is 16150 and these scores are bone stock 8800gt. I have a 600core model. So take that info to the bank. Plus I dont have the fastest cpu with no OC on the fsb either.

Ok compared to 8800gts in smoothness. I noticed a couple games having glitching here and there. But Bioshock was smoooooooth as glass.. Actually it felt in fast forward mode compared to the 8800gts with 1680x1050 maxed settings. I actually add 16xAA now to games to just slow them down because the movement is sooo fast with the 8800gt. The 8800gt is quiet with a good airflow case. Oh almost forgot. If your having issues with glitching? I would force Vertical Sync on. That should fix the issue. I forgot I did that and the problem went away.

8. locc0ut

locc0ut Active Member

GPU:
    Visiontek 3870
    i second that not a whole lot..

9. Cairo

Cairo Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD4870 @800/1050
    In my opinion Get the GT for the reason of price in near future
    the Gts will lose a major price by the start of the year
    But the Gt could be sold and u wont lose a lot
    thats besides the performance increase especially if u get the
    Evega-SSC GT

10. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    I am selling my card to make profits and then getting the evga GT so i can step-up at a later time.

11. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I third that. Not only will there be no noticeable increase in performance but he'd get more noise as a bonus and his system is already borderline bottlenecking the 640.

12. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    I stumbled upon this review http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/13479 and the 8800GTS 640 beats the 8800GT 512 in every test. It could be they tested at some odd resolutions or maybe its a misprint, maybe someone can test this.

13. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Not every test. But the results are a little surprising. Thought the GT would pull the lead in all of em.

14. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    some disturbing results.
    How does the GTS 320 beat out the 640 at that res in UE3?
    wtf.
    yeah i think something was off there.
    I'll trust the other 100 reviews that say different.

15. PunishedOne

PunishedOne Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 w/custom cooler
    You should upgrade your processor first before your GPU. I had a 3800+ for about 5 months and upgraded to a 5200+ a month and a half ago. I saw a very significant boost in performance.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    His cpu is running @ 2.72ghz. It's at least on par with yours. In games anyway, you won't see a lot of difference and I'd bet that his cpu would pull the odd frame ahead of yours.

17. PunishedOne

PunishedOne Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 w/custom cooler
  18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    8800GTS 640 vs 8800GT 512

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140

[​IMG]

Notice the settings:

[​IMG]

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3072-comment-update-thread-evga-8800gt-review.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    I think the above benchmarks speak for themselves, the overclocked one (which 744 seems like it might be a bit high, though with an after-market cooler, quite easy) obliterates the gts, not only that, it beats what would be the 8800gtx. The extra shaders really make a difference.

Do the trade, mine is being mailed on monday.

20. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Again, and Led and I had this discussion (which we're cool now :)), these are superclocked turbo mode GT's in most of the reviews. My 640 is clocked at 660/1525/2000. Run a Fear demo, or some other benchmark I can get my hands on, at 1680x1050, and let me know what settings you run it at. Just need something with a end result...average fps, score etc. Curious to see the results then, when there is not a 200mhz difference on core etc.