Progressive LCD Monitors 24"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by volkov956, Nov 3, 2007.

1. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Need a little help looking for a LCD Monitor 24" with progressive preferablly with Component/DVI/VGA and if possible not widescreen..

I been looking for a few days but so far have not found any LCD Monitors that have Progressive scan unless they are not just listing it.

Anyone know of any Monitors by chance while i search

2. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    i don't think there are "no widescreen" 24' inches, sorry, unless you get a CRT

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    from wikipedia

"Progressive scan (also known as: P-Scan) is used for most cathode ray tube (CRT) computer monitors, all LCD computer monitors, and most HDTVs as the display resolutions are progressive by nature. (Other CRT-type displays, such as SDTVs, typically display interlaced video only)"

ETA: If you're really concerned about your monitors image you're going to want to look for a good S-IPS based monitor for color, and a fast response time with balanced rise/fall times. These are expensive.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Best 24 inchers in order:
    BenQ FP241W
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    Samsung 244T

5. grimsanta

grimsanta Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB @ 575/1750
    Just wondering, why would you not want wide screen. I don't mean to be critical, so don't take it that way, just an honest question

6. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    The largest non-widescreen LCD monitors that I know of are 21" and 1600x1200. But they are increasingly hard to find and (generally) are made using older panels. They are also horrendously expensive, starting at over $500. The next closest are the 20.1" screens which are cheaper and still display at 1600x1200. There are also 20" variants but again those are more expensive than the 20.1" screens.

For the prices you can see for those 20-21" 1600x1200 screens you could just about get a 24" widescreen that operates at 1920x1200. It's up to you but widescreen monitors, when talking about monitors over 20", are cheaper than their non-widescreen counterparts due largely to much higher levels of competition.

7. GCFreak

GCFreak Active Member

21" CRT monitors can display at 2048x1536.

8. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Ever try playing a old 2d Game on a widescreen and notice how stretched and ugly it is....

fischju: yea I was looking at the 244T interesting enough I have the 214T but the 244T is cheaper and bigger... but Oddly enough some reviews say the 244T has 16ms and other 8ms so I dont want another 16ms I had a Neovo with 16ms and that was ghost madness

I do have a 21" CRT in the garage Samsung one too but no room for one on this desk till i get the other desk to go beside this one

I will continue my search but so far 244T looks like the one so far.....

Dont like widescreen never have and not all games like widescreen either including some non 2d games I got

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  9. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    The nVidia drivers are perfect for solving stretching issues. Simply set it not to either not scale at all or to scale the image without stretching. It keeps all programs from going wide (at least that I have tested, including Doom II and Wolfenstein 3D) and just puts black bars on the sides.

It's under Flat Panel scaling. Just be sure to uncheck the "Treat my display as an HDTV" or you won't get those options.

10. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Why the HC version? Don't they suffer horribly from ghosting still? IMO the non HC is better.

11. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Dude, get a 24" widescreen and set it to not scale for games which you want to use a non-widescreen resolution for. You can play your non widescreen games up to 1600x1200 and then have the luxury of being able to play other games in widescreen too. Best of both worlds. You will not look back once you start playing games at 1920x1200 believe me.