We are losing our rank!!!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Crossfire, Sep 26, 2007.

1. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Oh well. I tried several different combinations of reinstalling the client and copying over the work files, but it's still unhappy. Also, is there a correct way to close the SMP client? During previous startups, it'd mention something about not being shutdown properly. I usually just restarted Windows when I wanted to quit the program.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    How is it unhappy? What does the log file say?

There's no real way to close it properly, Ctrl + C works tho.

3. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    What about when you're running the No-nonsense as a service? Do you need to press Control + C to stop it? I didn't even think that would work.

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    my servers been down, i just got it back up and had to reinstall server 03 enterprise =p updating then kicking it to folding. damn folding crap is hard to get working right. at work it keeps freaking out my gpu when im using a cpu client

5. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    tell me how i am supposed to set this up for 6 cores? im using the smp one

6. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Ok to answer some of your questions...

1) You say it freaks out your GPU when using CPU Client? Are you running the GUI Client? If so, you should run the No-nonsense version as a service.

2) To get it to use all six cores, I think you might have to run two or three instances of it. Is it even using two cores? Are you running it as a service? If you're running the SMP Client as a service, try running it not as a service. Or, you might have to specify how many cores and how much CPU usage requested in the setup.

I'm sorry if I give you false information, I don't run any SMP Client's yet, but I've done some reading on them.

- CrossFire

7. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    ok 6 no nonsense's running

i should probably run it on my main rig, but it never works for screen saver

8. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    its been running since 10 last night, its 7:30am and it has 10k whatever done for each of the 250,000 point things.. should i be working on smaller work units? whats the time limit? these are 6 700mhz 1mb cache xeons, serious number crunchers but ancient. can i make 2 processors run on 1 unit?

9. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    I didn't mean for you to put the no-nonsense's on your Xeon. I ment for the other one you said it was freaking out your GPU at work.

Ok, download the SMP Client here, install it, run it in console and NOT AS A SERVICE, see how many cores it uses. Don't for get to run the install.bat file in the SMP package.

- CrossFire

10. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    smp keeps coming up as 0.0.0.0 IP and cant access anything. i did the install bat and i have an admin password. I can't even get work units with no time limit in the no non-sense to boot. "wtf"

why won't the smp give an IP address so it can actually log into a server?

11. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Ok, you are going to have to ask AirCool these questions. Because I'm confused now. :confused:

12. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    Hi - Don't try to run the SMP client on your Xeon server. The SMP client runs with 4 subprocesses which means that you will get a sub-optimal performance.

This is probably the reason for you being assigned 0.0.0.0:
    Quote from F@H website

"My client was assigned to the IP address 0.0.0.0. What's up?

From time to time, we may not have work that matches the requirement of every platform. When that is true, we will not supply you with duplicated work that really isn't needed. We'd rather have some clients idle and repeatedly rechecking for new work than busy for long periods working on something that doesn't need to be completed. Even though your computer may see occasional idle periods, we still value your donations. If this continues for an extended period of time, be sure to ask for help in the Forum because that's not normal. "

Just use it with 6 normal clients.

BTW have you guys the major site redesign (folding.stanford.edu) if not then you should check it out - much easier on the eyes :)

13. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Ok Rengade, here is what you need to do:

1) Download the no-nonsense client here

2) Make six folders (I.E: Folding @ Home, Folding @ Home 2, Folding @ Home 3...)

3) In each of those folders copy and paste the client in them, and rename it to, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3...

4) One at a time, run the clients and set them up. MAKE SURE to set all of them up with a different Machine ID, and keep these things in order (I.E: The Folding @ Home folder has CPU1 in it and Machine ID 1, Folding @ Home 2 has CPU2 in it and Machine ID 2...)

I recomend running them as a service.

- CrossFire

14. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    so with the no non-sense, how do i get smaller easier wu's?

15. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Well, I'm back up with a fresh work order pegging both CPUs. It'll be a while before this work gets credited to Guru3D.

16. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Sometime's.

17. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I should have a few WU's done today sometime =p.

18. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Don't forget to run them with the -local switch!! That's very important, if you don't things will get royally screwed up!!! :knock:

19. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    what does that mean, how do i do it, and etc. come on man, i've been running this garbage since last night

20. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Well, to that I could reply RTFM... ;) But I won't.

I take it you've followed CrossFire's advice to the letter?

Good.

When the Folding@Home app runs it looks to the registry to see where the settings etc. etc. are stored on harddisk. That means if you run F@H from folder A, it looks at the registry, sees that it should be running from folder A and carries on. If you were then to run a second copy (from folder B) the app would again look to the registry, see it should be running from folder A and carry on using the data from there. That means they are both working on the same WU. When they each independently try to return their results to the stanford server that's when things will get messed up. (Exactly how I dunno, but the forums tell me it does... :( )

To get round this, what you should do is run each copy of F@H from the command line with the -local switch. I don't know if you're familiar with the command line so I'll just give you step-by-step instructions.
    1. Close the F@H apps using Ctrl+C
    2. Go to the start menu and hit 'Run'. In the box type 'cmd' & OK.
    3. Go to the first folder (e.g. 'CD C:\Folder 1") and type the name of the app like this: "FAH504-Console.exe -local"

Actually, screw the above; do this instead.
    1. Make a shortcut to each of the copies of the program. (so in your case 6 shortcuts)
    2. Right click on one of the shortcuts and hit 'properties'.
    3. In the box labelled 'Target' add the text -local just after where it says FAH504-Console.exe.
    4. Change all the other shortcuts too.

If you are running the application as a service as CrossFire suggested, then I can't say for sure that you will experience the same behaviour (it may be that when run as a service, F@H will automatically use the local folder but I doubt it).

To change this is a little more involved. You will need registry access.
    1. Goto the start menu and hit 'run'. In the box enter 'regedit'.
    2. In the left hand pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Services\CurrentControlSet.
    3. You should see six services (or however many you configured) labelled as 'F@H', 'F@H2' etc.
    4. For each of these (and in the right hand pane) you will see a key called 'ImagePath'.
    5. Right-click on each of these and add hit modify. Add the text -local at the end.
    6. Either restart each of your services from the service manager plug-in (services.msc) or reboot your PC for these settings to take effect.

*Phew*

Now you see why I just said not to forget the -local flag yeh? :)