Doubts about Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Devolution, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Woah go outside and get some fresh air kid.

Crytek don't owe you or anyone ****,you haven't paid them to get you a demo out on time so i don't know why the hell you are angry about this,i'd take it you haven't been into gaming for long because delays are pretty common in this industry.

The game is out in less then two months whilst the demo is roughly a month off and if you can't wait that long for a game then god help you.

By the way typing in caps isn't big or clever.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. Cosma

Cosma Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320M KO 590/
    And you are sooooo right on this.
    The PC gaming world looks like is coming to an end.
    All the different configuration in the PC world makes it harder to make games that actually work.:frown:
    Now in the console world its not to difficult to make games because all the consoles are the same.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's actually the opposite, if anything initiatives like Games for Windows, and development in to DirectX10 are making it easier to create games. DX10 has a lot more specific rules for hardware requirement. Eventually DX8/DX9 will be phased out of existence, and when that happens developers will have a lot easier job at worrying about hardware.

This isn't even to mention the bridging of the gap between consoles and PC games, no not the hardware, but the development tools. Games created on consoles like the 360 can be easily ported over to the PC, of course the controls maybe be crummy, and optimizations may need to be implemented, but with time all that stuff will become second nature to developers.

With games like World of Warcraft sucking in an astounding 9 Million users, Crysis generating the most realistic real-time graphics to date, and Bioshock with it's awe-inspiring storyline, PC gaming has never been better.

4. Cosma

Cosma Member

GPU:
    I really hope your right i don't want to go back to console gaming:bounce:

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    PC Gaming is far from over, period.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    PC game will never end, well never say never, but last years it was very dry, few the game that made you really have good time to remember.
    I think that Crysis IS WAY TOO OVERHYPED, and afterall it just a game, relax no one gonna die if it gonna be delayed.

7. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    PC gaming is far from dead. The question is...is diversity DEAD in pc gaming? Will PC games consist of only FPS, MMORPG, and strategy and adventure games because developers would rather throw their creativity on consoles?

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not saying PC gaming will die, but this will take a big step backwards if it is crappy. While the past couple of years, some of the games have been good, a lot have just been...Crappy, so something like this, well yeah.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I want WWE game to the PC, WWF was great, WWE 2002 is mediocre, but jesus it's not true that it impossible to play fight games on PC, that is so lack under PC games section.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    The real problem is that people are becomming more and more spoiled with things like huge maps, 30+ hrs gameplay...etc and wanting more, so its really harder and more expensive for devs.
    GTA series and Oblivion alone spoil the linear, shorter games.

A.I. is the slowest developing software technology in computing history. its funny if you look at an old console game like Turok 2 for N64...notice how the enemies can hear you, can run behind objects...etc, not alot has changed for most games, In Fear the only advancement over that is that enemies can find another way to get to you like sneak around another hallway, thats not much advancement for 10+ years, however long its been.

i remember when the average game took 45 minutes to beat...thats after you spent months practicing playing the same levels over and over and over and over...contra?, ninja gaiden anyone?
    before that in the early atari days, games was about scores and competiveness, games had no ending, no big intro screens.

"the idiots guide to slowly destroy pc gaming"..i think this is the book EA wrote.

Bombard users with CD protection hampering legit buyers and doing nothing to slow down piracy/ movies you cannot skip past/ huge logo's of the publisher, sometimes multiple times *cough EA cough** and then of course a short movie clip of the developer's logo artwork, CD keys that takes 2 minutes more to type, connections to servers to unlock the game, questions asking if you want to register

All that just to get started? then step two obviously is the ".dll has failed, please insert cd and try again" type messages. force users to seek help from forums to save money so that after several days they end up downloading a CD crack to play a legit game and then ban that user permanetly so they can throw the game in the trash and publisher can keep the money...yay everyones happy now

ok sorry i'm done ranting now, i feel better though but the sad part is theres alot of truth to that, maybe its Microsofts secret way to end pc gaming so the xbox series can be the only one

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007

11. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    There is no doubt that the graphics in Crysis will be amazing. As far as gameplay goes... my guess is that many people will be disappointed. This is the same as Far Cry. The graphics and settings were amazing for the time, but the gameplay was not that great. Wonky AI, week weapons, lackluster story and forgettable characters.

As much as I've seen and read of Crysis, there is nothing really revolutionary about the gameplay. It's going to be just another shooter, only prettier. (So will Far Cry 2 BTW). Shooting trees and setting brush fires are game gimmicks that will lose their novelty pretty quickly.

I don't mean all this in a bad way, just don't expect any miracles and you are less likely to be disappointed.

12. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Exactly,all i'm expecting is a 10-12 hour FPS likely to be in the same league as HL2 with very nice graphics etc.

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    moab: it's not that it's impossible to play fighers on PC.... it's just that 80% of the time you basically have to have a gamepad to play it remotely well.

xrc6: those are exactly the types of people i loathe. Speed Runners. "OMGWTFBBQ HL2 Episode 1 said it had 4-6 hours of gameplay and i beat it in less than an hour". well no sh*t you beat it in an hour. you also didn't notice nearly as many of the details as those that took their time to play through it noticed, did ya?

It's people like THEM who are unknowingly giving game designers the mental image that a game NEEDS to have dozens of hours of gameplay to be good.... when half the time if a game winds up playing for TOO long *Cough*Oblivion*cough*.... it get's boring fast. Walking around in vast open area's occasionally stumbling upon the random enemy to kill...... taking quite a while to complete your objectives due to this fact. Pretty much the only thing i did when i played oblivion was install it.... start it, go through the introduction crap, went into the castle, waited till night time, robbed the weapon store blind, walked out..... nobody in town freakin noticed. got bored..... uninstalled.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  14. 0ed218

0ed218 Member Guru

GPU:
    1900xtx
    I always get a good chuckle when I hear things like that...Pc's will always be the Ferrari and console's the nascar ALWAYS....

15. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I don't care anymore, I'm weary from watching videos, I've run out of matchsticks to prop my eyelids up and my brain doesn't need decent AI or plot....I JUST WANT TO MOW AN ENTIRE JUNGLE DOWN WITH A MINI-GUN!

Then I can go to sleep, happy in the knowledge that I finally did it. :arnie:

16. Cosma

Cosma Member

GPU:
    Thats why i bought a PC hope it stays that way

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    didnt use that time you spent walking the vast map to notice details did ya?
    lol
    it wasnt too long, it takes 30 hrs to beat it if you do objectives directly, 30 hrs is nothing if you spent just 2 hrs a night playing it, your done in 15 days and you say thats too long for a $50 game??
    obvlivion had sooo much detail in it that you could spend 100 hours trying to notice it all

also i wasnt referring to "speedrunners" before, i mean how long it takes on average to beat the game with some of todays games being about 12 hours, some people post "i beat it already" threads cuz they literally sat there for 12 hours straight rather than speed through it in 8 hrs but some do that too.

it just seemed odd you talk about speedrunners then say you didnt give oblivion any time at all but with the patch, mods and some .ini tweaks the game is killer.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    oh and heres some crysis mp benchies, take it however you want but i dont think it will improve in final since crytek already mentioned you need $5k + worth of top shelf stuff to play max.

this is medium setting at 1024x resolution, latest nv driver
    2007-09-25 06:57:31 - Crysis
    Frames: 3510 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 29.250 - Min: 18 - Max: 47

at high its unplayable, one thing about graphics that did suck was that alot of the foilage was extremely 2d looking, i'll get a close up pic so you know what i mean, oblivions foilage looks alot better honestly

19. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
  20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    sounds a lot to me like you were talking about speed runners.

And i don't remember Crytek EVER saying you need a $5,000 rig to play at max. hell..... i doubt it'd even be easy to build a rig that'd cost $5,000.... unless maybe you throw 16GB of the fastest memory possible into it.... maybe DDR3. i mean.... practically the highest you could spend on video cards and a processor combined would be roughly $2,000 (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850.... and maybe 2 8800GTX's or 8800 Ultra's). spending 3 grand on the rest of the stuff could be quite difficult. Last i remember, they said that they had it running at high details with an 8800GTX and an unnamed dual-core processor. maybe ULTRA high settings you'd need quite the costly computer, seeing as it's not even selectable in the beta.

Chances are performance WILL improve between the beta and final product.