Rivatuner v2.04 released

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB

256-bit RV570 (12tmu) with 512MB DDR memory

I2C 00 70 1a : invalid

btw after i done it and started RT 2.04 i can now see Voltage Regulator Current, A values

if i disable it in monitoring setup and re-enable it fails to re-appear

hmm restarted once more RT and now it works fine
    and i can see all VRM values including temperatures ...
    i'm lost :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There must be

I2C 00 70 1a : ...
    I2C 01 70 1a : ...
    I2C 02 70 1a : ...

You've made a typo either in the report or in the command line switches and used

RivaTuner.exe /ri0,70,1a /ri0,70,1a /ri0,70,1a

instead of

RivaTuner.exe /ri0,70,1a /ri1,70,1a /ri2,70,1a

3. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB
    was just my little mistake on the report ofc its 00 , 01 , 02

anyway now it reports at 02 70 1a : 0a

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. Unwinder

That's device ID register of VRM chip (which is located at I2C bus 2, device 70), and 0A is a proper DeivceID of VT1165 VRM. If there really was "invalid" it means that something else (other monitoring software?) captured I2C bus at that time. If the same capturing will happend during RT startup (when it scans for sensors/VRMs) - it won't see them.

5. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    Aha ... you see ! that is what Unwinder (& others) mean when they repeatedly redirect you to a sticky: You do can find answers by yourself if you just look good enough.
    What his point is: He'd rather wants 1000 people with a problem spend each 15 minutes by looking thoroughly for the answer, than him spending 1000x3 minutes (=50 hours) on answerring and repeating himself ...

P.S. Sticky's are allways on top of the posts list (not that hard to find)
    P.P.S.If you never read (windows) help-files: Please try it, there is a lot of useful information available for most programs, the one for RT it is very comprehensive.

6. Brama

Brama Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080ti
    Hello, today I noted a strange behaviour of RT: it thinks I am always in 3D mode, both on XP32 and Vista32.
    The only thing I changed is upgrading the system memory from 2 to 4 giga.

I do the same thing of yesterday, when RT can detect 2D-3D switches without any problem.

A suggestion?

7. Unwinder

No suggestion. 2D/3D mode detection and switching is done by the ForceWare driver, not by RT.

8. Warl0rd

Warl0rd Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DirectCU II
    You you have Aero enabled on Vista you'll be always running on performance 3D.

Strange that its 3d on XP, maybe you have a program thats enabling 3d...

9. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    That's not true.
    ForceWare drivers are switching correctly to 2D on Vista with Aero enabled.

10. Brama

Brama Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080ti
    This night I will try to reinstall forceware drivers.
    It may be a bug of drivers or some buffer not dynamically allocated that suffers the new system memory dimension.

I let you know.

11. Unwinder

Don't forget that if you're not satisfied with the ForceWare's 2D/3D clock switching, you can always program your own dynamic 2D/3D switching implementation using the following approach:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=237341

12. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    The approach you are referring to works very well indeed but it involves starting the RTSS.
    While it's not a biggie to start the RTSS, I was also looking for a solution to be able to switch between two overclocking profiles without using it.

In fact, what I want to do is to underclock the card for normal 2D operation and bring it back for 3D gaming.

I tried the following approach which didn't work:

I defined two overclocking profiles:

1. ClockLow2D
    Standard 2D: 290/450 (core/memory)
    Low power 3D: 400/450
    Performance 3D: 575/450

2. ClockHigh3D
    Standard 2D: 290/900 (core/memory)
    Low power 3D: 400/900
    Performance 3D: 575/900

Then I added a threshold for the Core clock like this:
    Frequency: 350
    On upward threshold crossing: Launch "ClockHigh3D"
    On downward threshold crossing: Launch "ClockLow2D"

This approach is based on the ForceWare drivers switching the core clock between 2D and 3D and going over the "350MHz" threshold which is chosen in between the "Standard 2D" and "Low power 3D" frequencies.

The reason I activated "Low power 3D" in RivaTuner is because I'm not sure
    if the ForceWare drivers have a default value for it and despite the fact it's not activated will still try to use it.

While this works switching from ClockLow2D to ClockHigh3D it doesn't work the other way around.
    What happens is, it goes from ClockHigh3D to ClockLow2D for just 1 or 2 seconds and then goes back to ClockHigh3D as if when switching profiles it activates "Performance 3D" by default.

There is a certain delay (around 10-15 seconds) between attempts to switch from 3D to 2D which denotes that ForceWare drivers don't switch immediately back from 3D (which is not a problem).

The attempts to switch from 3D to 2D are easily vissible on the monitoring graph and happen regularely every 10 or 15 seconds.

I would appreciate if someone can test this and confirm my findings.
    Also, any comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    _EnF_

13. Unwinder

EnF70

You can use this approach under XP, but not under Vista. Clock frequencey change in Vista driver always results in temporary switch to 3D performance level (most likely driver does that to stress-test requested clocks), so it won't let you go down.

14. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    I see. That explains it.
    Thanks for your answer.

_EnF_

15. Dwarden

Dwarden Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2048MB
    after long search i think i figured out the source it's 'ATI tool' driver
    (need to be disabled/removed from active hardware drivers)
    i guess it activated and then stays activate after i started by mistake ATi Tool ...

anyway really thanks for trying to help me Unwinder ... this was pain to find :)

16. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

The Aero interface is 3D (runs DirectX 9Ex) so it can't have the 2D profile. Another fact is, that most cards should have identical "2D" and "Throttle" performance levels (Throttle may also be known as "Low-power 3D") - yes, you guessed it, the card uses the second with Aero.

If you flash your video BIOS, you can set another Throttle profile that's higher than 2D, but uses less watts than performance-3D.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  17. Raikku

Raikku Master Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 280
    I have BIG problems with OC-profiles, they doesn't seem to work properly.

I have now two profiles 2D 438/700 and 3D 650/950. Problem is that even when i choose one of them they doesn't always work.

Example, first i have 438/700 when on desktop, then i go gaming and before that i use 650/950, but only core-speed rise and memory stays on 700.

Or i quit gaming and decide to switch back to 438/700, i choose it from riva, but clocks doesn't decrease???

I'm very near to loose my nerve with this, i already hit my keyboard due frustration.

18. Unwinder

Dear ex-ATI users, spend a few minutes on reading FAQ and studying NVIDIA 2D/3D clock control basics. Everything is working properly, the only malfunctioning thing is your understanding. The answer can be easily found in the forum, and even in this thead.

19. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Well, I know Aero is 3D but the ForceWare drivers are switching back on "Standard 2D" profile on Vista with Aero. I've set all 3 profiles (so, including "Low power 3D") on RivaTuner to have different clocks and this is what happens.

Maybe the ForceWare have a way to detect Aero and use 2D, I don't know...

_EnF_

20. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    An overclocking profile consists from 3 settings (or if you want, power modes):
    Standard 2D
    Low-power 3D (if active)
    Performance 3D

One limitation is that you cannot use different clocks for memory between 2D and 3D inside a single profile. Forceware drivers switch between 2D and 3D and not RivaTuner. I think, RivaTuner only sends the whole lot to the drivers.
    If you want different memory clocks try creating 2 overclocking profiles. See my above post of how I defined 2 profiles.

And btw, one thing - you need to click "Apply" before switching the combo box selection at the top between the 3 power modes.

Cheers,
    _EnF_