RivaTuner v2.05 development and alpha-testing

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Well, 2.04 is released so now I can start developing 2.05 and can play with new independent shader clock control interfaces a bit more. I've already added a slider for adjusting shader clock and I need a few G8x owners for alpha testing it and brainstorming final shader clock UI implementation. Keeping currently existing driver/hardware ratio limitations in mind (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=238083) I'm still unsure it is is a good idea to provide completely independent shader clock control, probably we should keep it ratio based.
    Also, I've tried to make a workaround for the ForceWare's internal clock frequency programming optimizations, which currently require ROP clock change to be performed to get new shader clock applied. Now RT analyzes the clocks being set and if it detects that shader clock is changed but ROP is not - it first downclocks ROP by 1MHz then returns it back together with changing shader clock. It will make shader clock adjustment more simple for beginners.

So if you've read shader clock overclocking tutorial thread and if you feel that you completely understand it - I offer you to join 2.05 development and shader clock UI brainstorming. In this case send me your email via PM and I'll send you alpha version of 2.05 with shader clock adjustment UI prototype.

2. Janekx

Janekx Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 & 8800GTX Physx
    Can I help you?
    now on 163.67 with 621 / * 2.34 / 948 stable

3. Unwinder

Yes. Send a PM with email address and I'll forward you alpha tomorrow in the morning.

4. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    sorry i don't have time 4 doing alpha testing :( i'm very busy with university

i just wanted to tell you that you are doing a great work with rivatuner ;)

always been my favourite oc app :)

5. bushwickbill

bushwickbill Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS SC 320mb/648/1620/900
    quick question?

When you go into Rivatuner to change the shader clock, How are you guys getting those numbers 2.43, -1, 2.5? I am only able to use whole numbers 1,2,3, etc. I have used 2 as the value and have got the shaders to increase, just can't figure out the decimals. I know it seems simple, but I am still kinds new to this whole shader clock stuff. And I would like to participate in the 2.05 alpha testing if possible. I know it says that you have to fully understand whats going on and aside from my question I think I got it figured out.:cheers: My Rig:
    C2D E6400
    EVGA 8800GTS SC 320mb
    2 Gb kingston DDR2 533mhz
    19 Inch Acer Widescreen
    Asus P5B
    600 Coolermaster PSU
    Windows XP 163.69
    Logitech G5
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard

6. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    I can help ;-) will send pm now

7. Janekx

Janekx Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 & 8800GTX Physx
    Numbers are in format 2dot34, be sure you don't use ","

8. Unwinder

Here we go. I've just forwarded the first alpha of 2.05 to everyone who sent me emails via PM.

9. cikanovo

cikanovo New Member

Just double click on it and put in the value in 2dot34 format(2.34)

10. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

YES, keep up with the constante riva updates, im loving it :)

by the time i get my new hardware you will be on version 2.06 or 7 :p

haha

thanks again for the good work/updates toall the riva guys :)

11. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

It looks good so far and all, didn't do dense testing yet but the clocking does function.

I have one recommendation to make this more fool-proof and generate less whine threads by under-educated people, it should purposefully block setting bad ROP/Shader ratios. For example, the Apply button should force it that the Shader value must be double the ROP minimum, and not apply otherwise.

12. Unwinder

That's not that simple. There is no strict rule telling if ratio is good or bad.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    testing and testing shader clock and it works just fine, no problems so far :).

14. Unwinder

Some development progress:

I've decided to change ShaderClockRatio handling behavior. Now defining a ratio via ShaderClockRatio in PowerUser settings no longer results in hiding shader clock slider completely and adjusting shader clock automatically. In new alpha RT will still shows shader clock slider when ratio is defined, but it will not allow you to drag it independently from core clock slider in this case. Now the ratio affects core clock slider dragging only - as soon as you move core clock slider RT also synchronically adjusts shader clock slider position using the raitio you've defined.
    In other words, now ShaderClockRatio affects UI, but not clock programming directly.

New alpha version will be available tomorrow.

15. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

What I meant is just defining a minimum of a ratio of 2.00 or something similar, because I've found the hardware (my hardware) will not set anything below that exact limit

16. Unwinder

That's _your_ system's limit and it is not have to be the same for others.

17. RedDracoNL

RedDracoNL Member

GPU:
    GV-N970G1 1600/7500
    Maybe its just Coincidence but my minimum also seems to be a Ratio of 2.00 max seems to be 2.79 for me cant set 2.8

18. Unwinder

I repeat once again that the limits are DIFFERENT for different systems and it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict which one is currently in use. Let's stop wasting the time please.

19. Unwinder

Guys, I've just sent you new alpha version of 2.05 including the following changes comparing to the first alpha:

- Changed ShaderClockRatio handling behavior. Now defining a ratio via ShaderClockRatio in PowerUser settings no longer results in hiding shader clock slider completely and automatically adjusting shader clock synchronically with ROP clock. Now RT still shows you shader clock slider when you define a ratio via PowerUser tab, but it doesn’t not allow you to drag shader clock slider at all. Now the ratio affects core clock slider dragging behavior - as soon as you move it RT also synchronically adjusts shader clock slider position using the ratio you've defined. This allows you to use manual ratio-based shader clock adjustment and at the same time load and apply the profiles with different ratio, reset clocks to defaults (which can use different ratio too), etc, etc. In other words, now ShaderClockRatio affects UI, but not clock programming directly.

So please check it with and without ShaderClockRatio.

Please take a note that I've forwarded it only to those who sent me any feedback (now or in the past).

20. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

New alpha looks good and works without problems like the first alpha.
    That shader slider automation looks like a useful newbie snippet, maybe you should consider setting RivaTuner's installer to set the ShaderClockRatio on, with a value of -1, so the program installs in this sort of easy-to-use safe mode, because real power users will find the entry anyway and delete/change it.

Just a thought, don't know if it's useful.
    Good work :)