400w PSU vs x1950xt

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pumadotmac, Sep 8, 2007.

1. pumadotmac

pumadotmac Member

GPU:
    Gecube x1950XT 512MB
    I purchased the Corsair 520 PSU. It made me feel better to know that my PSU fit all the specs for my card. Thanks a million again all you guys.

2. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Nahhh! Ya dont need 700w! (get back to the nvidia section lol :) )

The Hyper Type R 500 or 580watt(like mine ;)) would be a great PSU.

[​IMG]

3. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    I got one of those lately in a sale in my local store, still sealed and it was cheaper then the cheapest 200w Jeantech psu's, I couldn't believe my luck that it was me that found it. I love the cables, although mine are black, I think the blue and neon orange looks a bit tacky!

4. _A-c-3_

_A-c-3_ Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire HIS 4890's
    mate i use a 500 watt for the 2900xt if i can run that u dont need anything more than that. u can pick up a 500 watt cheap as chips. but of course if you have the money buy a 800 watt as that way u have much room to upgrade lata.

5. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Well yeah maybe, but I don't really care for all the neon crap, my towers gotta perspex side but its sat in my pc desk so I cant see inside anyways. ;). It was the only Hyper R 580w I could get in the country, the rest sold out within days.
    Good going on the find. Great modulars aye. ;)

6. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Good job,and goodluck with your system.

7. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    You can damage a PSU if it is underpowered... In other words, if you make a PSU work at near 100% all the time, it can damage it or fry it.

Nothing else in your computer should be harmed. But a PSU that blows could hurt other components (though not likely) when it actually goes dead.

I usually recommend getting a PSU that will work no more than 80% of it's capacity under the heaviest load. That way your aren't stressing it so much.

I good quality 500watt PSU would be the minimum I'd recomend for your system. Quality is sometimes more important that total watts and amps. So, use the recomendations from others in this thread.

8. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Running on my quite cheap 450W PSU, no probs so far. Usually when card maker gives PSU requirements, they are bit higher than what they actually need.

9. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Hmmmm I wonder then. I had my current specs with the TASK 520w ( not too sure how efficient these are) but I used to have power downs on boot up and very very slight lock ups sometimes in game or running apps.
    Funny thing is, it all stopped and would only rarely happen if at all with that same TASK in. Strange.

(Ive now got the Hyper 580 in, more efficient)

I wonder why the power downs just stopped before I placed the new psu in. Can they self adjust?? (*lol?)

10. pumadotmac

pumadotmac Member

GPU:
    Gecube x1950XT 512MB
    {delete} ?????

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007

11. pumadotmac

pumadotmac Member

GPU:
    Gecube x1950XT 512MB
    hey guys... thanks for your help.. plugged everything in AND.... snap hiss fizz pop..... silence

Hehe... hope you didn't believe me... nah everything works great games look awesome... but after i plugged my video card in my sound won't work correctly. It's like if the noise is scripted to be played right in front of the character during a game, I can hear it fine, but if its like 3 feet away its barely audible. Any ideas?

12. pumadotmac

pumadotmac Member

GPU:
    Gecube x1950XT 512MB
    it seems to have been a driver problem.. got it working now... sorry for tri-post... also

after playing rainbow six vegas for about 30 minutes my card reaches 59c and caps there. is that too hot? i thought it seemed a little warm but not very bad

13. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Nope, that's right where it should be and the only way to make it cooler is to use a utility like ATI Tray Tools to bump up the fan speed or change the stock cooler. Personally I'd leave well enough alone, unless you have an overwhelming desire to mega-overclock the card. You're fine.

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Huh,I always thought the x1950xt cards ran just as hot as x1900xt cards?
    59°C is low imo.
    My card goes well over 80°C without a hickup with gaming.My x850pro runs mid 70's so that's even hotter.

As a matter of fact,I came to understand these cards like to run close to 90°C. with intense gaming,and we should only worry if the temp goes well over that.

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Depends on the cooling solution I guess. My old Gecube X1950XT 256MB AGP with that god-awful TEC cooler usually hovered around 59-62c under load. Maybe a little warmer or cooler depending on the game. Also when I said he was "right where it should be", what I meant by that was ...no your not running too hot .....since that was his concern.

See the first several reviews of the Gecube X1950XT ....one person hitting 70c under load, and the others were in my ball park 53-62C......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814241049

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007

16. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Mine 5 min's after a good game on high. ;)

[​IMG]

17. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    Mine is +80-90 during games, according to Tray Tools.

18. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    How do you get that temp screen. I just got a new ATI card and I can't find a temp reading anywhere with Cat 7.7's. I have been using Nvidia for the past couple years and they always had temp readings with their drivers. I also installed the ATI tools utility and still can't find temp readings. What am I missing here? It's a visiontek 1950pro by the way.

19. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Sorry, that's the problem exactly. Visiontek and Gecube varied from the normal reference design and there is no readable temp diode on the card. All other manufacturers work fine.

20. Jerms

Jerms Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT
    Well crap!!! Thanks for the response.