RivaTuner 2.04 is on the way!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

But Softpedia isn't responsible for the content they show or the updates they provide, they might just update the file and not the description, or stay obsolete as is. Plus it's really not the place you should look for things, why not look up everything where they're originally from?

2. jamie.boner

jamie.boner New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8700M GT
    Hi, with riva tuner 2.04 can we overclock now the mobile graphic card???

Right now with riva tuner 2.03 we can't overclock with last driver 16x.xx, I set the new fréquence and when i click on apply the value go back to origin.

I have a toshiba X200-20F

Thanks for your respons

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

What's wrong with you, people? Is it so hard to read at least the first posting of the thread?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2418215&postcount=11

The same applies to you, mr. "I don't read the thread before posting to it".

4. Seven_PRX

Seven_PRX Member

@Jamie:

Don't take offense at Unwinder's not-so-gentle replies, he's just trying to help.

Re: unlocking/overlocking your noteboook GPU:

1) Most notebook GPU's are locked in the bios, meaning you cannot overlock using Rivatuner/drivers before you unlock the BIOS. I dunno which GPU you have in your notebook, but you can find for nVidia GPU's here:

http://home.tele2.es/jlgm/peng.html

2) You need modded nVidia drivers, for example from:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showforum=72

3) Then you can overlock using Rivatuner. I'm using v163.44 myself and after the Bios flash can overlock this with Rivatuner.

5. Unwinder

Are my eyes fooling me or I'm really seeing compliants on my "not-so-gentle replies" from a man who completely refused to read built-in documentation then got a warning for giving "*****" and "jerk" names in the forum? What's going on with this community...

6. Seven_PRX

Seven_PRX Member

Your reactions are quite strong to say the least. When I first came to the forum, I said "great program" (which it is, good job on that!) and had a simple Q. Before I asked the Q, I read the FAQ on the forum, so I just didn't ask the Q without 1st seeing if they answer was in the FAQ here.

Anyway, it appeared the info was in the documentation in the program itself - my bad I didn't see that.

But the way you wrote/reacted, locked threads, threatened with banning accounts, etc, thats why I said BOARD-*****. Mind: I'm not calling you a *****. You must have heard the term board-***** before.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Board+*****

Look @ #2 and you know what I mean. But let's not get into this argument any further :)

And I'm not complaining here - I just gave Jamie some advice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  7. hansje

hansje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 980GTX OC
    I wonder that myself too on the forums I visit to be honest.

I am 49 years old now..in the early days you learned to say THANK YOU when you got a cookie.
    I am a PC race-gamer myself, and there are a lot of addons (FREE) ..sometimes you see guys shouting also bad names because an addon doesn't work the way they want.

I always say, those guys put a lot of work in it and its free...so calm down :)

Anyway, doing a great job keep up the good work !!!!

Seven_PRX is only trying to help, maybe only using some wrong words to express this in the beginning.

HAVE A NICE DAY ALL !!

hansje ;)

8. jamie.boner

jamie.boner New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8700M GT
    Thanks for your answer my graphic card is a 8700 M GT 256Mo.

9. Unwinder

Try to stay supporting this forum for 7 years giving the same answers every day to each newbie, seeing like people ignore megabytes of context help, FAQs and forum replies and understanding that you waste _months_ of your life to nothing because of thousands users who cannot waste a single minute into search. If you'll be able to code the tool supporting the forum simultaneously with that (and doing your primary job simultaneously with that too) - I'll be pretty surprized. Then I'll look at your forum managing habbits. You'll never understand it until you do it yourself.

10. Seven_PRX

Seven_PRX Member

Well, this is a Forum where other people besides you can answer. So if you get tired of the same questions over and over, why not choose not to reply to those - chances are that somebody else will reply/give an answer.

No reason to get worked up over 'stupid' questions if you ask me.

Peace,

11. Unwinder

I tried to experiment and left the forum without any replies for a few months after v2.0 Final Release launch. If you think that there were many people answering documentation ignoring related questions, then I've to disappoint you. Nobody likes explaining the same things every days. Nobody.
    Also, when your question is completely ignored, you'll never know why it is ignored. But when you get at least RTFM tip telling you that the answer is available in public resources (context help, documentation, forum) you always have a chance to help yourself. Everything depends on your attitute to studying, if you're open to it - you'll get the answer pretty easily. If not - I'm sorry, but that's not the school and I'm not a teacher.

12. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    Unwinder,

Preliminarily, the Shader ROP ratio seems to working admirably. Using 612mhz core on my 8800GTS, I've managed to push the working ratio up to 2.65. As this card isn't water cooled and the new drivers seem to be pushing the card much harder for the same clocks.

I was using 648mhz core with and upto 163.44, and suddenly its way too much, as the prediction you posted originally about a lot of overclockers having problems with these drivers. With even 626mhz core freq now, it is causing occasionally BSOD's in Bioshock or at the least sometimes driver restarting errors. This is all in Vista x64.

I know these errors are related to overclocking and perhaps even ratio of ROP to Shader, as they don't occur at lower clocks. I'll try to see if I can find ratio ranges where there are no intermittent BSOD's / display driver restarts, as perhaps there are some sweet spots for different cards. If you'd like me to spend a few hours mucking around with this, just shoot me a yes and I'll be happy to waste a few hours getting results.

Also on a side note, these BSOD's/driver resets aren't happening as a result of high chip temps, as the highest I have logged during a session of Bioshock maxed out is ~61-62c. And my avg idle temp is 48c @ 33c ambient and 51-52c @ 38c ambient. I have real trouble getting my card above 64-65c unless ambient is nearer to 50c.

Regards,

Michael

13. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    of course it's important that you try to discover your maximum shader speed *independently* of memory and core speed. In other words, keep your core and memory speeds down to normal frequencies and slowly bump up the ratio watching the rivatuner monitor for when the shader speed jumps up (in steps of 54 MHz). once you've determined the maximum shader speed (which is stable under load), then as a seperate step you need to work out what ratio to use to achieve this shader speed with your maximum (presumably previously determined) core speed.

I believe 1674 and 1728 are pretty common maximum usable shader speeds on GTS models (but I have seen people report higher).

with a core of 648 and 163.44 drivers, your shader would probably have been running at something like 1458 or 1512. with a shaderclockratio of 2.65 and 163.67 drivers, this would push the shader to 1728 (and I know my GTS certainly isn't stable at this speed). to drop the shader speed down to 1512, you would want a ratio of 1512/648=2.33 instead.

14. Unwinder

Guys, we've got more than enough testers and finished checking shader domain clock control feature so please don't send me any more PMs with 2.04 beta request.
    Thanks.

15. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    Sam,

My card is oc'd in bios for the most part, since I dont really need it running at ridiculous clocks all the time, 100% fan gets on your nerves real quick! Well 2.65 shader ratio seems comfortable at the moment, thats 612/1620/2016. My bios is flashed to 567/1404/1792, which is very comfortable for most things, and happily sits at 48-52c idle with 70% fan duty cycle. I might try adjusting the shaders up another clock or 2 in bios and see if its stable / trouble free.

Note, what I meant in my previous post was, see if i can find ranges of shader ratio where the card itself is happiest, much like there are when increasing FSB on chipsets, or anything really, sometimes chips have certain frequencies they prefer working together with, in this case the relationship would be shader to ROP, and perhaps ever DDR3 clocks.

16. Unwinder

mikeyakame

Let's stop max stable clock related discussions in this thread please. We're not putting a task of searching for max clock any of testers can reach, we're checking if shader clock is adjustable with new version or not.

17. mikeyakame

mikeyakame Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 729/1566/2700
    No worries, and the answer is yes, works great even upto 2.76.

18. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

Unwinder,
    Is it intentional that the ratio has to be a multiple of 0.05?
    For example, if you were to set 2.42, in reality it's considered to be 2.40, while 2.43 is boosted to 2.45 to conform to the above.

Don't know this bit, whether it's a limitation in the hardware, the driver set or RivaTuner.

19. Unwinder

Absolutely not, you're misunderstanding the things. It has not to be multiple of 0.05. You just physically cannot set any clock frequencies you wish with 1MHz accuracy due to clock frequency generation granularity.

20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    So if i set GPU to 692 and it jumps to 684, while setting GPU to 693 it jumps to 702 its normal? :smoke:
    Its nice to experiment with Shaderclockration .. setting 2.5 and having GPU 702Mhz caused, white dots at end of deep freeze test, while setting 2.45 fixes it :)