RivaTuner v2.03

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

2. Unwinder

Guys, in meanwhile you can use Russian official RivaTuner's host to download digitally signed drivers pack kindly provided by owr friends from www.techpowerup.com. Installation instructions and download link are in the very first posting of this thread.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. zoo

zoo Member

GPU:
    EVGA 280 GTX 1024mb

I use blue color text in all forum where i posted. Just for easy search and browse of my own post by myself. But, if it is a problem or im breacking some rule can post in black o bolt letter too. Just tell is ok.

Saludos

PD. i'm Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Excellent news! :D

5. diogocv

diogocv Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD4850
    I downloaded and... it's not working. The program starts, but when I click on the "configure" button it crashes. I'm using the 162.18 ForceWare. I'll download the 163.44 and see if it works.

Edit: I've just tried with the 163.44, and it did'nt work. I guess I'll have to return to the 2.02 version :(

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  6. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT softmodded to Quadro
    Wow, that's really hot stuff from www.techpowerup.com (who just went up on my "cool" review site meter dramatically).

Big thanks to them and Unwinder for making this release the best one yet.

7. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    How do i make it so RivaTuner can run when windows starts without it telling me there are blocked items in start up that need my permission? I'm using vista32bit. Turning UAC off did not help. Kinda annoying having to start RivaTuner evertime my PC starts up.

8. Crisao23

Crisao23 Member

GPU:
    MSI R5870 Lightning 1GB
    Open Windows Defender and check the startup monitor.

9. Labmonkey

Labmonkey New Member

Heya diogcv, I had the same propblem but I reinstalled my nvidia drivers with drive cleaner pro and cab cleaner and it seems to be fixed now. I also reinstalled Rivatuner 2.03 again. But yeah, it seems to be fine now so just try that maybe.

It's kinda funny though cause I did a nvidia driver cleaner before installing Rivatuner 2.03 the first time.

10. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    I can't find any such 'start up monitor' in any options in Windows defender. Boy can Vista be a pain in the butt.

11. diogocv

diogocv Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD4850
    I'll try to do that :)

And BTW, I've already unistalled the 163.44 ForceWare. I don't know why, but the AA option was not there! So I reinstalled the 162.18.

12. PerPlexis

PerPlexis New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX XXX
    diogocv isn't the only one with that problem.
    I checked to see what else could be running that would interfere, but I only had the usual basic system operations running.
    I even cleaned the registry after each uninstall and reboot, but when I would click on the tab to select the type of settings I wanted to change (Target Adapter or Driver Settings) I would get the icon stuck on the hand, my resources would barely go up, and it would sit there. I could move the window around, but it wasnt doing anything. When I would click the X to close, no error. No error in the Event Viewer either. The only event that even mentioned RviaTuner was "The RivaTuner32 service was successfully sent a start control".

13. Unwinder

I'd like to know OS version and see crash details. If you're mis-explaining something and it is crashing on startup, not on clikcing the "Configure" button, then refer to post #11

14. Unwinder

Turning off UAC does help and there is big thread about that. Time to use search.

15. Unwinder

Probably that's a conflict with old RT driver version. Try to close RT, uninstall RT's driver with "RivaTuner.exe /ud" command line switch and restart it. If it doesn't help then maybe there is something in your system (firewall, antivirus?) that doesn't like the protection agains PB introduced in this version. Try to go to PowerUser tab, expand System node, set both ProtectMMIO and ProtectProcess to 0 and restart RT.

16. OAKside24

OAKside24 Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD 5770 SOC 1GB
    Thanks, Unwinder. Can't do without RT for very long, an 8-series necessity.

Small tray issue (v2.03): I hide the tray icon in XP, but every time I open and close RT the tray icon un-hides. Not sure what is the cause, but it's a minor annoyance not seen in v2.02.

Minor install issue (v2.03 and earlier): If I try to install RT in anything other than it's default directory (ex: Program Files\RivaTuner) I cannot set Launchers for my low-level fan profiles, they are not visible. Installing RT in default directory (ex: Program Files\RivaTuner v2.XX) works as usual. May I ask what the purpose is of the version number on the install directories?

17. Unwinder

Yep, I know about it. That's rather interesting side effect of process protection, which we've found with one of testers during closed beta-testing. Windows taskbar identify unused icons that can be hidden by reading memory and calculating checksum of executable code of icon owning application. RivaTuner's code is now protected from reading so Windows taskbar unable to identify it as known after restart. There is no workaround - either use it as is with protections enabled or disable process protection with ProtectProcess entry.

Version number is added to make it easier to keep multiple versions of installed RT for me for easier bugreport checking. But you can use any folder name you wish, there is no dependence on it. I'm afraid there is some misunderstanding. There is no any link between low-level fan profiles and folder name, I've just checked it and see no problem. Probably you try to launch profiles from the desktop and the shortcuts refer to that folder?

18. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Just to be sure ...

If I want to disable the protection features, I must go in Power User > RivaTuner/System, and then scroll down to ProtectMMIO and ProectProcess, check both of them, and then double click on the bar to their right and set the value to 0.

So that it looks like that:

[​IMG]

Is that it ?

19. Unwinder

Yes. Then it is necessary to restart RT to get changes applied. You can easily see if the protections are working by looking at status bar of monitoring module. Data polling time displayed there must differ with protections on/off by a factor (3x-5x on my system). Also when the protections are disabled RT must start much faster.

20. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Thanks a million for the folks who helped get it signed for us vista x64 users, awsome job