Official BioShock Discussion Thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jeremy, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Hmm I hope that the patch will be out before I'll get a full game because it would be a big disappointment..

2. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    YAY played DEMO!! damn it was fun :D i love U3 shadows :p it was lil buggy... (freezing) i guess i need more memory to play thise game D:

3. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    but no one has said it actually works, just that they think it should. I've tried, it doesn't work for me (vista 64 bit, dx10, 163.44 drivers, tried enhance and override AA).

conversely, several people have pointed toward the tweakguide dude having discovered that you seem to be able to force AA with XP not but with vista (dx9 or dx10).

read this and this

4. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    As has been pointed out in several threads on other forums that have discussed this issue - one of 4:3 OR 16:9 *must* lose part of the image.

There is conjecture that the game was perhaps *designed* with widescreen in mind and therefore you see everything you need to (with a widescreen display). With a 4:3 display, you see a little extra but it's not required for gameplay. Sounds quite plausible to me, especially since the xbox360 version apparently shows the same view as the PC widescreen view.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no, thats not how it works, chopping images should be chopped from the highest resolutions down, i.e. 16:9->4:3 or whatever, thuse widescreen has extra image info on both sides, if you go 4:3->16:9 chop then the image is effectively zoomed in as its missing the top and bottom. It usually means the game was never designed for widescreen like Battlefield2

6. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Will 158.22 drivers work for the game or will I have to use the Beta ones?

7. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    I'm not sure you're following ;-). what you say makes sense, but you are missing how it can work the other way around - when going from 16:9 to 4:3, if you keep the same horizontal FOV, then there must necessarily be extra image displayed top and bottom (with 4:3).

In summary, either
    1) vertical FOV is identical in both 4:3 and 16:9 and extra image is displayed on both sides in 16:9.
    OR
    2) horizontal FOV is identical in both 4:3 and 16:9 and extra image is displayed top and bottom in 4:3.

8. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    If I recall correctly, the fov for 16:10 resolutions is 100 degrees. I'm quite sure you can change this in some .ini file.

9. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Just ran the demo, my 7800GTX had no problems running it full bore @ 1280x1024. Dont think the 2gb's hurts either... :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    No, i get you :), its similar to taking a picture with a camera with a panoramic lens and a regular lens, the panoramic one should have more detail on the sides compared to the regular one but of course the regular pic can be cropped to panoramic size but youre losing even more detail compared to a proper panoramic one. Thats pretty much youre 1 and 2 above, 2 above is the crap implementation in games and 1 is the proper widescreen

Excellent, many thanks for the info, only 2 more hours before i can try it. Did you run it with high details( i dunno the config breakdown )

11. 501105

501105 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 560 Ti
    Running it on a 7600gs 512mb/amd 3500/2 gigs everything on and as high as it can be except detailed shadows it is running at 30fps so very nice

12. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Yup, everything was set to high. Btw if you've got a steam account or even if you don't I would set up an account with them and grab the demo off there. It's much quicker. It only took me about an hour to download.

13. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    i just preorded the US version here in germany, supposed to come either saturday or monday. I really really hope saturday.

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You've got no idea how awful it is to be without a PC, Internet or hell, a place to live when a mega release like this is happening. Watching it from a distance on uni campus PC's just isn't the same. I wanna try this game so badly, it isn't even funny. I beg that my apartment is ready tomorrow!

Anyhoo, sorry if I'm late, but does AA actually work in this game?

15. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    not in the demo, i don't know if it works in the full game, i hope it does.

16. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    When does the full version come out?

17. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    You can activate it at 4:00pm ET.

18. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I just bought a copy at Target. Activated, and fully functional, and it's only 12p cst here. Haven't had a chance to play it yet though. Gotta work. Ugh.

19. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I should have specified that 4pm refers to the pre-loaded version from Steam. Makes no sense to me.

20. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Actually, for those who have already bought the retail box game, you can activate it. I did, on my 2nd rig (AM2 X@ 4200+/2gb DDR2 667/7950 GX2/X-Fi XM), and it runs wonderfully with FRs hanging in the mid 40s with highs of 80 and lows of 30 @1360x768 (native PC res of my LCD TV), max ingame detail, no vsync and no DX10 detail surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.