Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. negchampa

negchampa Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX580 SLI
    I found a fix for my PC. TURN OFF WINDOWS AREO !!!!!!!!!!!!
    After many man days of trying everything i could think of i just turned off windows areo to windows vista basic and the problem has gone. As soon as i turn it back on no less then 20 secs later when using IE i get it and it will not go away. I reboot turn off windows areo and it is stable 24/7 not one error.

Hopefully this helps some people out there solve this until the new driers come out. For everyones info I only started getting this error with the new beta drivers. And onl when i had SLI enabled. 158.45 were 100% stable. But i am pleased with the FPS increase with the 163.11.

So it seems to be a problem with SLI enabled and windows Areo. that would explaine why ATI folks are have the same issue with crossfire and new drivers.

2. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    no guys, this is not a " SLI issue" only its also there for single GPU's like the the 5XXX, 6XXX, 7XXX and 8XXX. im still getting this error now and then.

like someone said before this issue occurs also with ATi and basically the problem is from Windows Vista (kernel or registry).

SO till they release Vista SP1, im my opinion we still gonna get that error...

3. DarkjeThe2nd

DarkjeThe2nd Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 768mb, 648/2000Mhz
    Hey, I got the error when I was playing with my mem, trying for better oc.

I had never seen the error before, but it started happening when I decided to try if my ram would work better using the other 2 slots on the mobo (yellow). Even at specced speeds the error occurred, when I was chatting form the vista desktop for instance...

As soon as I put back my ram in the originally used orange slots it disappeared, never to be seen again :|

I dunno what this means, but it seemed it made a lot of difference in what slots I put my ram sticks, so if you have the possibility to try other slots for your ram, you should perhaps try that too...

4. persrap

persrap New Member

"display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" Solution

Hi There,

I starting getting this error some time in the last 3 weeks, "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered", and the fix for it was:

Check your ram and make sure you are not running your ram on a lower voltage then what the motherboard recommends. For instance, my motherboard says 1.8V memory in the manual, and then I realized that the OCZ ram that I bought required 2.2V which would mean that I should have to tweak the bios to accomplish this.

So I went and bought 4 crucial DDR2 1.8V 240-Pin 1GB sticks, and installed this, and that fixed this error with the BFG Tech GeForce 7600 GT OC.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007

5. Grymn

Grymn Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 512 750/2100 SLI
    I had this with nTune installed. Also had a bunch of funny textures in LP. This was at stock clocks. Uninstall nTune, OC to normal speed, left LP performance demo looping overnight and no problems. nTune and Vista do not work so great together on my setup.

6. Edycon

Edycon New Member

GPU:
    Geforce/6600/256
    hi everybody, I have the same error in my Geforce6600, with tha last forceware 162.22 WHQL, "display driver stop..." anyone can fix this problem with my model ? I´m using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits. the error is when I play games (warcraft3, CAESAR4, Thesims2, NFSCarbon...) in my desktop it´s ok. thanks for the help and sorry for my english...

7. persrap

persrap New Member

Check you Memory

Check to make sure you don't have faulty memory (RAM) or underpowered RAM, for instance check to see if your memory sticks need 1.8V or 2.2V.

This issue wnt away from me when I replaced my memory with 1.8V memory sticks.

8. Kriechbaum

Kriechbaum Active Member

GPU:
    GForce 8800 GTX SLI (Leadtek)
    NOOOOOOO

It's not a hardware problem, it's a Nvidia/vista problem. Disabling SLI or aero stops that problem.

It's because when you install/uninstall drivers, some files aren't properly deleted.

You can format, or disable SLI or AERO. But it's not a hardware problem.

9. persrap

persrap New Member

The fix for me was replacing the memory of my computer with the motherboard reocmmended memory, and the problem went away. I am running 32Bit Vista Business edition with a GeForce 7600 GT OC with no problem at all anymore, and I am using the Microsoft WHQL drivers available through windows update.

Runs Great.

10. Gottex

Gottex Guest

GPU:
    3080Ti
    Kriechbaum absolutely right, a lot of gamers still think that its harware issue ... No guys, I've read so much about this error in the internet and everybody come to the same conlusion that its Nvidia-Vista trouble ... maybe they will fix it in SP1 next year or Nvidia release some really cool driver that will blast everybody ;)

11. hpmoon

hpmoon New Member

Important - Read This

This is probably the most widespread complaint about nVidia ForceWare drivers across the 'Net. To start with, what can be said for sure is that this error describes a failure of the driver as a whole, so it's not a good starting point to diagnose your problem. Basically, it's as useful as telling you what you already know: that your driver has a problem.

What's clear from the scads of threads and posts on this issue is that it comes up during the process of installing a driver update, or for that matter changing a driver version back down to a previous one.

That's certainly my story, and when I upgraded, I kept getting the blue screen of death (BSOD) with an endless loop of booting and rebooting unless going into Safe Mode. I used Driver Cleaner to ensure that I started with a clean slate each time I tried to re-install a stable driver version.

All of that missed the point. We can all agree that nVidia does a crap-poor job of providing installation instructions. It is not archived with the executable download, and there's no link from each specific driver page to any step-by-step instructions (though there used to be -- nVidia appears to have foolishly deleted it).

SO -- while this error may keep recurring for people despite this advice, I'd like to tell you what worked for me:

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall nVidia driver. You will be required to reboot.
    2. (may be optional) Use Driver Cleaner to deleted all trailing nVidia driver files, including ForceWare.
    3. Install desired driver version by running downloaded executable.
    4. At any point in this process, usually after a required reboot, when a prompt comes up asking you whether you want to search for a driver (the OS does this when finding your connected graphics card hardware with no corresponding driver installed) do not select the option to look for a driver. Rather, decline the prompt with the bottom-most option that says, "not at this time."

Again, I am not saying that this will solve all of your problems -- but it solved ALL of mine. When I see that this widely reported problem is so often associated with driver upgrading/downgrading, paired with the fact that there's crap information about the step-by-step process, I suspect that this will make most of the reports fade away.

I am SHOCKED that this advice hasn't been posted yet (based on my pretty thorough search for the answer).

If anyone has a link to the nVidia step-by-step installation instructions that appears to have been removed, please post it. Thanks.

12. Some-Wanderer

Some-Wanderer New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640
    It appears that there seems to be two groups those that think of it as a hardware problem and those that view it as a Nforce <-> Vista problem, but here is when i should throw a monkey wrench in to the works why does the "memory overun" occur on an XP system and only on Lost planet (side note the system is not more then 3 weeks old and no overclocking) well that said if theres a thread i should be viewing to solve my little xp delema, just direct me to it and I'll shutup and go away. thanks for your time.

13. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Like people mentioned earlier , if it were a Hardware problem then how come Ati's been having the same issue..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  14. Some-Wanderer

Some-Wanderer New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640
    Well shall I ask probably whats gonna be considered a stupid quuestion is the poblem in any way possibly an inherent problem to the game itself? maybe something to do with the way it was ported?

15. drumthrasher109

drumthrasher109 Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    People its gotta be the drivers.

16. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Yeah thats what I think so too but if they cant fix this with the next few driver updates , I'll start having my doubts over that..

17. Kakihara

Kakihara Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX (SLI)
    EDIT :
    Ah Ah Ah really funny "Mr. Vista" :/ after 5h without the error....20s after I post this message I got a BSOD sigh....
    Forget everything I wrote under this edit, aero still crashes hardcore :(

I tried almost evertyhing I'm struggling with those errors for 3 weeks...

With my own manual BIOS settings using 4x1Gb at 5-5-5-9 1066Mhz on vista32 I couldn't enable aero without the error popping up after more than 30s and starting a loop ending in a BSOD, I disabled aero and played and browsed yesterday without errors for 12h+, today I had the error 2x with aero disabled, simple message pop-up without consequences, no black screen or error loop ending in BSOD like I had with aero on but it shows somehting still isn't right.
    That aero could be buggy okay...but with "best performances" settings on my desktop it's definitely something else.

Not happy with the situation I rebooted and changed this :
    - CPU core manually set to 1,45V (because I overclock at 3,33Ghz)
    - everything else timings and voltages on "auto"
    - enabled the SLI-READY option and set it to "expert" mode

1) no cpu init error at boot yay! (happens a lot with 4 ram slots used)
    2) the voltages set automatically by the BIOS in the hardware monitor look almost the same to what I set manually before with one big change : hypertransport has 1,5-1,52V ! From 1,2v stock and I never tried more than 1,25-1,35V

Could it the 1,2V HTT causing all those problems on my config ? Will report later..crossing fingers I won't see any errors for the next 12h..for a start.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  18. Sliderse

Sliderse Member

GPU:
    BFG 295
    I have turned of Areo as well, gone just over a week now and not seen the error since.

19. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    its been since I have installed the BETA PATCH of MS which:
    - improve system performance and reliability
    - improve system with Video Cards..

That im not seeing this error anymore. Can anyone else back this up?

20. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™