From PC to PS3 or Xbox , anyone done this ? Regrets ?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by j.rhy@n, Jul 20, 2007.

1. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    Hi

I jumped on the same wagon that took people away from PC gaming to Console gaming becuase of spending too much money on hardware upgrades..

Anways , few months down the line I hardly touch the PS3 , mainly becuase of lack of games and alike..

I keep on telling my self it will only get better , I sure hope so but some times I keep thinking "Have I made a mistake" going back to PC gaming is not a problem "Half my high end system is in the cellar" but I dont want to..

Any one else done this and thought they made a mistake...

Share your thoughts..

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I got myself a 360 before Christmas and I don't really regret it. It has some nice games I play every now and then. I'm not that much into gaming now anyway but I definitely don't regret it because it saved me from spending too much money on PC upgrades.

3. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Not made the jump as such, but trying to maintain both habits at the same time. Crunch time will be in 6 months when I feel the urge to upgrade. If I can hold off then I will game on my PS3/Wii with no regrets at all as long as I have a PC for web access and media related tasks.

4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    im trying to do pc , 360 and ps3 at the same time but its alot of money

i aint foing much to my rig now for a while(maybe a quad core and psu then thats it for 6 months) but i just cant bring myself to get rid of it. all the hardwork and time into getting it just how i want it to look and perform i just cant bring myself to sell it , i know i wont sell my consoles as i love gaming

5. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320 x 2 SLI@stock
    If you are a one dimensional person who likes pushing buttons and thinks that opening a case and maintaining a system is work then buy a console. If you like the idea that you cannot modify your system or game install then buy a console. If you like the fact that a console is what you see is what you get tech with no possibility of further graphically enhanced games until the next generation consoles then get one. If you don't like to read or think that because you have to get into your bios to change a setting for a 30% overclock then please get a console. If you spend most your time on forums asking questions about why your temps are 90c when you have one case fan and you have it turned down to 50% speed because you don't like fan noise then please buy a console. If you have ever whined about being killed over and over by another player that has 20ms latency and you have 200ms latency then please sell you PC and get a console, PLEASE. If you have ever posted about low FPS in a current game and the IQ is maxed on a three year old system then please buy a console.

6. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    If you like to strangle two reasonably powerful GPU's by having only 320MB of local video memory so you can't actually take full advantage of them outside synthetic benchmarks, get a pair of 8800GTS 320MB cards. Generalisations eh? :)

7. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    If you want to spend 1100.00 on two GTX's or 900.00 on 640's to game at 1280x1024 with Sli instead of 500.00 then be my guest. If you use synthetic benchmarks to enhance your warm fuzzy feeling down there and to determine a systems real life performance then be my guest.

PS>>>> If you want to use a word with 10 letters or more in a sentence then at least learn how to spell it, " Generalizations ", :peeright::butt::peeleft:

8. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Yeah I'm English chap, it's "generalise" over here where the language was spawned. Feel free to read up:

http://www.tysto.com/articles05/q1/20050324uk-us.shtml

Anyway...

9. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    lol, you steal our language and tell us that we spell it wrong!! priceless.

As for the topic!
    Even when it feels like I'm running out of games to play on my PC, I never regret the money I've spent on it, because I can use it for a myriad of other applications, Video/image editing, programming, working. Heck, even if I couldn't play games on it, I don't think I'd regret the money I've spent, because my PC is almost indispensable to me. It's how I comunicate with friends and colleagues, and where I do most of my work. It's how I find information about things, and how I watch most television.
    I don't think I could ever go back to a crappy, low-spec PC.

I also own a wii, xbox 360, DS, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, SNES and original xbox.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  10. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    I am planning to get a PS3 or 360 in the next couple of months because I don't want be missing out on some great games.
    I used to be solely a console game untill a couple of years ago, and I really haven't missed it much but the thing I do miss is playing with a bunch of friends and just chilling and relaxing, where a PC is really not like that.
    Also, if you guys are complaning about lack of games on PC, it isn't any better on either the PS3 or 360 currently.

11. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    Ya,
    I always forget you guys have a learning disability so you haven't adopted modern education yet. Some day when your bodies evolve you will be able to pronounce the language correctly and then maybe they will change the spelling of words so they make some sense.

12. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    since when was this a thread about proper english ???

back on topic guys lol

13. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    BUT HE BE DISSIN' MA HOMIES DAWG!!!

¬_¬

Anyway...yeah I feel your pain Copey, the cost of buying games for consoles *and* trying to keep even one PC at anywhere near the cutting edge is an expensive business. I dread to think of the amount of money I've spent on upgrades and games over the last year or so, especially the last few months since having a PS3. Don't get me wrong, I love gaming, even since the old days of going and blowing £120 on both Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Limited Edition silver box) and Mortal Kombat back in the day, that was excessive back then, but the more you earn the more you spend. :(

The time will come when a choice may have to be made, but I'm trying to put it off for as long as possible.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yup.. PC to PS3 for me. I can't afford PC upgrades. And I absolutely love my PS3, especially Online, when everyone is on the same step, because we all have the same Console.

I hate online gaming on PC because some people has a better rig, more FPS, more ownage..

15. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I love my computer but ever since I got my 360 and Wii I haven't been arsed to use it much. The time spent turning it on and loading games and installing patches so I can play online kills it for me everytime.
    I will never be a "PC vs Console" guy, they both have their disadvantages and advantages. I love games too much to dedicate my self to one medium. Knowing that I might miss out on an awsome game if I did is enough reason not to.

16. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    welcome to internets, people don't care if they spell right or make typos. get over it.

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    SORRY HOMES, YOU GOING BUST A CAP IN HIS ASS OR WHAT ?? lol

yeah mate, i spend so much money on consoles and whats left goes on nights out with the lads (good times)

but my pc eats alot of my money i used to lend the money and then pay it back but since ive gone uni ive had student loans to help with the cost of things, without that my pc wouldnt be what it is now

18. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    QFT, student loans ftw :)

19. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Well , I got my self the 360 and the Wii and I dont regret it..
    Was going for the ps3 but saved cash for a system upgrade..
    I pictured my self regretting buying the ps3 , so I've put that on pause..
    Since the ps3 doesn't have any game that I'd go buy it for..

With PC's if games get boring , you can overclock to kill time....or start drawing on your computer..
    I consider that a bigger broader form of entertainment.. :)
    Consoles are really cool but PC's are uber Cool :D

I cant play stratigy games on consoles nor can I play FPS games the way I'd want..
    So I'd vote for my PC this month :D

20. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    You guys are debating high-end pc vs. never-changing consoles. See, I have a rig that's avg. 4 years old. It would cost now, well, ~130€ if you could find the components somewhere. It's still way better than PS3/Xbox 360, although it doesn't run games as great because they can and want to optimize games for consoles better. You can't compare a console and a high-end pc if you keep upgrading it. That's comparing consoles and being a tech fanatic, or whatever you want to call it. I won't say a guru, because I consider myself as one too.
    For the record, my PC can run BF2 with all maxed, 1152x864 & 4xTSAA/8xAF in 32pl. maps, no <25fps dips. Medium sounds though, gotta love on board chips. It even supports EAX but it's somehow broken.
    Possibly use lower detail settings? Gives you the edge if you use like ultra-low vegetation :p. Some games, like Farcry, have it set to same level for everyone when playing online, but BF2 doesn't. Same thing goes with shadows, my friend had a FX 5700nu and had no shadows, not even fixed shadows, so he could see people inside buildings like there were lights everywhere.
    Oh, and what about console people with 42" TVs vs 14" TVs... Ok, maybe that's too harsh, not many people play online with 14" TVs. But you got my point.

Back to topic, I'm a PC gamer to the bone, I'll never get a console. I honestly can't understand how anyone who has tried PC gaming can switch to consoles. Then again, I can't understand people who listen to rap either.