GTS or GTX?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dojomann, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Hi all, by next week I shall have the money for a new 8800 GTS 640. I was thinking of saving some extra money and getting a GTX, but I'm not sure if I need it.

I've bought a new lcd tv which runs natively at 1080p, and was just wondering whether a GTS 640 will be enough or if I should take the extra step up to a 768 meg GTX.

I've been browsing the forums and I'm seeing some people getting quite low fps in DiRT even at 1680x1050, and I'm really also looking forward to enjoying future titles such as Bioshock and Crysis.

So, the question stands: GTS or GTX? (for 1080p gaming anyways)

2. Catroqui

Catroqui Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080/1080 Ti
    don't take Dirt as reference,it's very bad incoded.A gts would be just fine but if you can save to a GTX,extra performance is always good.

3. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Yeah, I figured as much. If I get the GTS, I can also grab a new zalman cooler for the cpu, and hopefully quiet my machine down a notch, and maybe get some overclocking done. I'm torn between the two cards, but seeing as both pretty much kill all games out there right now, saving some money and spreading it towards other parts is better.

I mean, the gts should handle crysis at reasonable settings, shouldn't it?

4. anth_15

anth_15 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    If you have the money for the GTX then go for it,But if you dont then just get a GTS 640Mb and Overclock it thats it. ;)

5. Unity

Unity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT
    the gtx

6. ntfx

ntfx Guest

the gts will do you fine, but i'd still go for the gtx if i could.

7. Catroqui

Catroqui Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080/1080 Ti
    Assuming they're saying a 7800GTX will run it (crysis) in pretty high settings a GTS would eat it for breakfast but even if it don't,buying a GTX wouldn't make that difference.Just my two cents.

8. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    dude just get teh GTS now and if you need more power later just SLI it up and thats all your gonna need for a long time. the GTX is alittle overpriced and you can also OC your GTS.

9. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Considering the GTX is 25% faster than the GTS and considering the Ultra (OC'd GTX) is 10% faster than the GTX, you should get a GTX and OC to have a card that is somewhere around 35% faster than a GTS......

If you can get the GTX, nevertheless, the GTS 640 is still a BEAST!

10. DanotheMano

DanotheMano Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850
    Or, you could step-up to a GTX in a couple of months if you get an EVGA brand.

11. Danzel

Danzel Active Member

GPU:
    Xfx 8800 Gtx Ultra
    Go for the GTX if u can ,it will keep u happier longer...8800 GTS 640 is a nice card for the moment,but the GTX willl give u a longer plesure

12. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Ok, I'm gonna go and grab the GTS 640 from eVGA by the end of this week (hopefully), and wait out my step-up and get the next best thing when that's all said and done. Seems like a good idea?

13. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    with a 2900xt you get native HDMI digital audio and video through the 1 HDMI cable. im not saying thats what you should get if youve already made up yoru mind, just saying theres other options that would suite your situation, because with 1080p comes HDMI. other than that an 8800gts is a fine choice for a video card if thats what you decide on.

14. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
  15. mastershakejb

mastershakejb Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640Meg @ 692 Mhz / 2.1Ghz
    Good decision. I just used the Evga step up to go from 8800 320 meg to 640 meg. Kinda wish I had gone GTX, but this will still rock. But great decision on evga for the step up, glad I did.

16. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    I'm thinking the same.

Here's how you should look at it. The 8800GTS 640MB is a great card and if you're worried at all about it not being sufficient for current or future games, the 8800GTX isn't going to offer enough raw horsepower to overcome something the GTS couldn't do at all. The difference is definitely there, and if the extra cost is negligible to your budget, by all means go for the GTX. But, if your really weighing the difference as far as bang for buck, the 8800GTS 640MB is the wiser choice in my opinion.

17. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Alrighty.

To the guy who mentioned ati's native hdmi out, is HDMI any better than DVI? My tv happens to have two hdmi inputs and one dvi-i (so technically that port can be turned into a d-sub as well) and i'm running a dvi-d cable to it from my comp. AFIK the video is uncompressed anyways, so hdmi wouldn't be any better. would it?

(keep in mind guys im not gettin ati for the simple reason that i bought a sli board)

18. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    if you can...go for the GTX of course..mo muscle mo fun :D

damn i envy you

19. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

for $100 +/- $10 bucks more the GTX is worth it.

20. DanotheMano

DanotheMano Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 5850