why people keep behaving like children?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by morfeus02, Jun 17, 2007.

1. L33t Masta

L33t Masta Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    People act like children because opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one. Take me for instance, I dislike Linux and Mac Pcs to the point of near obsession that I want to whipe all their users from the face of the planet. But because I don't want to get b& I attempt to keep it under control.

2. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    ****en great, now the screenshot thread is locked, cos of *******s.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Yeah, its bollox, ive always enjoyed the screenshot thread :(
    Its the internet :thumbdown

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Not referring to the screenshot thread but threads in the pub: I think people should stop posting threads related to war or politics and justify it by stating "let's keep this clean" or "lets be mature" when they know damn well it's gonna get ugly.

5. alpha2k

alpha2k Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    actually alot of times it depends on peoples defenition of childish.
    I am 43m and I refuse to grow old and cranky and all serious, all because I am 43. Life is to short to live it angry and uptight all the time.
    People in general are way to serious, take things way to literal, and in general I think have forgotten how to have fun in life.
    Work shouldn't have to be that (work), it should be a fun place to work.
    I am always acting like a kid aty work, and people act as if I have lost my mind, but you know what? I refuse to let them bother me, I am haveing fun and if they can't deal with my kid like antics, well then the door is over there, don't let it hit you on the way out.
    I act alot of times as if I am still 25, sometimes even younger.
    I work at target in the backroom, and have often times picked up a roll of toillet paper and thrown it at somone (not hard mind you) but lightly, and just hit them in the back, and more times than not it lightens the mood. At first they get this puzzled look as if to say wth!, how dare you, then I start snickering and they lighten up.
    It's things like that, that help lighten the mood and make things fun in life.
    I only live once so while I am living I see no hurt in haveing a little inocent fun. I have bever once yet hurt anyone physically, or made somone feel out of sorts, but more (I hope anyways) I have made thier day a little more enjoyable and bearable.

6. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    lol :p
    you crack me up dude :D

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    mid life crysis perhaps? sorry only messing, i dont think guys really grow up, but its the point that you decide to base yourself on, i.e. a sensible 25 or an innocent but ignorant 18
    Im with you on the only living once, i decided 7 or 8 years ago( im 31 ) that some people are too stubborn to change and accept that they may be wrong and that theyre may be more intelligent people out there.
    There are people that have absolutely no interest in expanding themselves or even appreciating advice or knowledge. Everyone should be willing to accept theyre wrong or to understand the circumstances of others or to try and understand why they do certain things or behave in a certain way , but that will never happen

I enjoy an agro shoot out in a forum where the points on both sides are intelligent and the discussion in general is well backed up from both sides, what i hate is one liner posts of the form "Upgrade your hardware, its crap"/"Get a decent PC"/"You havnt got a clue"
    But it takes all sorts and its what makes the world go around :)

8. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Man, this really pisses me off. I just got some sweet shots of Transformers the game & Lost Planet. I Finally get them uploaded full size (1680*1050) & a couple of turds go & get the thread locked. I really don't like some people..:(

9. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
  10. Sobek

Sobek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    Half the reason this forum has so many issues is because of amateurish moderators who exercise erratic control over situations. These moderators appear to not listen one iota to the better half of the community here, choosing to ignore things altogether when large groups of (particularly smart and 'normal' ) users express their dislike of someone's actions together. Instead, the moderators here seem to employ an extremely simple mindset;

"DO WHAT I SAY OR I BAN YOU!".

This just doesn't work. If anything, this incites the more idiotic and self-control-lacking users out there to just lash out any way they can to try and piss these moderators off. And sadly, the lovely mods buy right into it and do exactly what these users want; lock threads. If you want to control these forums and actually make the experience worthwhile for the majority of people here who actually like visiting these forums, then work with them. When large amounts of people begin complaining about another individual, try investigating why they're complaining and perhaps do something to rectify the situation, rather than scream "FREE SPEECH, IGNORE IT OR SHUT UP!". It's like the whole thing with Mrfloydian and his Oblivion screenshots...rather than take the blunt, stupid path of just banning people who complain, why don't you try looking at the big picture. Yes, all he does is post endless Oblivion screenshots, and regardless, people will get annoyed (even those mature, long-time members!)...rather then attempt (poorly) to enforce some pathetic zero-tolerance rule to complaints, take them seriously. Ask for variety in postings from the user in question, split the thread, one for screenshots of all kinds, and one for that particular game in question.

I just feel the whole thing is a poorly handled situation. Looking back, it's funny...all that had to be done was for a moderator to step in and say "Mrfloydian, please add a little variety to what you post, thanks." and everyone would've been fine. Free speech is free speech, but when you use it to do the exact same thing over and over and over again, you are going to piss people off regardless...better to deal with it politely than to just go all caveman-style and ban everyone who dares to have an opinion opposing your thoughts on the subject.

11. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    *Grabs Popcorn*

Now I have a reason to watch this thread.

12. skypapa

skypapa Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    An older movie that explores the same thing is Forbidden Planet.
    The antanogist is the mind of the smartest charactor.

13. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    People can just put floydian on ignore if they feel like it. Or, like I've been saying just scroll past and don't whine. The free use of this forum is a privilege... Not your god given right. Don't whine if things don't get posted your way; we don't always get what we want.

And, to be honest I really don't mind having game-specific threads where screenshots can be posted. That way no one has to whine. Don't like Oblivion? Don't read the Oblivion thread!

14. Sobek

Sobek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    This is exactly what i'm talking about...

The vast majority of users who frequent these forums just don't have the kind of self control required to do that (it's sad, but oh so true). It doesn't help either when a moderator just spits this exact same line out over and over, threatening anyone who doesn't blindly obey it with a ban...it's a redundant way to go about it. If someone's going to post 7 or 8 screenshots at a time, of the exact same game, same settings, same locations, same characters, same everything, is it not feasible to give them a dedicated thread? Filling one thread intended for display screenshots of various games, not just one, with the same content over and over drives some people nuts. These people can't grasp using the ignore system, so when you start spouting that same "ignore it or piss off" line, this just irritates them more.

Whether you like it or not, these very people make up the bulk of users here, and you can't just ban every last one of them. Thankfully, half of them don't have the balls to complain (primarily because of the same "OPINION = BAN" stature in place... I guess they like their accounts). I personally detest and hate every single repetitive Oblivion post Mrfloydian makes, but I don't speak of it. I DO scroll past, ignore it, and never speak of it...but so many others can't.

All i'm saying is instead of creating these useless zero-tolerance rules and expecting every last person to obey them without question, regardless of their feelings on a subject, isn't helping. Seperate threads are one option...if a user much like Mrfloydian decides to post lots and lots (and lots!) of screenshots on one particular game to the point where people start to get extremely tired of it, give them their own thread! Give them their own, special, golden, magical thread where they can go nuts, and everyone who loves what they post can come and give the old thumbs up! Naturally, this wont be considered, hell, I expect this thread to get locked, the Screenshot thread to return eventually on its own, and another useless "Say anything other than 'Nice screenshot!' and you're banned" rule to be put in place.

All I ask is that the moderators consider asking US, the community that MAKES this forum, what we want, and how we want it. Polls and votes, questions and such, find out from the very people you're trying to 'control' what they want! Is it that damn hard? If it means a stable, peacefull forum... then for the love of god, just do it.

I don't even know why i'm caring like this to be honest... i'm not much more than a passing user from time to time. I guess it just irks me seeing how damn foolish all of this is being handled. The moderators could stand to learn a few things from other respectable forums with their own massive community posting screenshots without hassle. Half the reason these communities work is because the users all understand that variety keeps things interesting... it's really that simple.

15. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Hey, I have an idea....who gives a f***?!?!? Jost post and be happy, and if you can't stand for the way things are around here, then leave.

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    You can post them in this thread, lol

17. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Sobek, The rules for the Screenshot thread were clearly stated. Floydian did nothing wrong. He has never crossed the line. I hate the game Oblivion. SO you know what I do? I don't play it. He likes it, others like his screenshots, so what!
    There is also the IGNORE option. A couple of jerks decided that THEY want to start trouble, much as you are doing yourself. They ruined it for me & a lot of others. THEY did, not Floydian.
    If you don't like the way things are done in a certain place, whether it be a forum, a place of business, or whatever, don't frequent it. It is simple. Other people make the rules. Abide by them, or leave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  18. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    as a former moderator to a gaming forum I notice this as well, and agree fully.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ^ Agree, there is absolutely no way to prevent those type of rants and flames in a thread, its the internet after all, i blame those who attacked Floydian but i also blame him for provoking it calling people who dont like his pics and complain idiots and to use the ignore or whatever.

Mods should have gone through and temp banned anyone offending in that thread including myself if it was percieved that way, its the fact that that would require work to maintain and in that case its simplier to just do without

20. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Maybe instead of the MODS being kind and giving everyone 1 more warning they should just ban people that complain.

Personally I have seen many mods give out so many warnings, that I would have just banned them for a week.

The mods on this forum are pretty soft compared to some other forums I belong to, I feel that if you cause trouble more than once, then 1 day ban, if it continues 1 week ban, then 1month, then 1 year, then perm (lol).

And I have a feel this threads going to be locked.... just a feeling....