3.5GB out of 4GB RAM problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by norec, Jul 2, 2007.

1. norec

norec Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX XXX edition
    Hi guys,

got a new problem, this time its with Windows Vista or my hardware, don`t really know but I suspect Vista though. I got 4GB of RAM but Windows Vista doesn`t says I have only 3.5GB full, not just available while my boot screen counts 4GB and a bit more due to hardware counting. So, anyway knows the problem and wants to help? I would really appreciate it! thx!

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    If it's Vista 32bit, it can't see more than that. Plus, it's actually 3.2GB.

3. norec

norec Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX XXX edition
    so I should upgrade to x64 to get all of 4GB ram? Are Core 2 Duo x64, I know weird question but some applications actually state that mine is X32, dunno?

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yes, C2d are 64bit, and yes, you need a 64bit OS to see all 4gb of your memory.

5. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Here are some useful and interesting information about the 4GB and Windows XP/Vista 32bit issue:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

More:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us
    http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2005/08/05/is3gbenough (must read);
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

There are work-arounds, but they are more "cosmetic" (you still can't use the whole 4GB);
    the only solution is to upgrade the 32bit OS to a 64bit OS like Windows Vista 64bit.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  6. norec

norec Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX XXX edition
    thx for the info all of you! :D

7. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    The difference between the 2 will be marginal and it's not worth the cost of buying a 64 bit version of Vista. Unless you can do it for next to nothing, personally i wouldn't bother.

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Not all Core Duos are 64 bit - there are some laptop variants that are 32 bit only.

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    All Core Duo and Core Solo chips are 32-bit (Yonah was the code name). All Core 2 Duo chips are 64-bit. It's difficult to even find a Core Duo or Core Solo based system anymore anyway though.

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    Anyone who has a retail copy of vista 32bit can get a 64bit copy for $10. And actually the difference between 2GB an 4GB in Vista, is huge. The OS really is a lot more responsive and smoother.

11. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Can you post the link that shows this? News to me. Thanks

12. Waylander

Waylander Guest

yup, I was surprised how much of a difference it did make....

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    If you buy a retail copy of vista there is information included that tells you how to obtain a copy of 64bit Vista. I'm not sure if it's the same for OEM copies but for retail (the boxed version) you go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia
    And enter your product key and other info, and you will be able to get the 64bit edition for $10.

14. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I was actually talking about the difference between 3.5GB and 4GB, but if it's possible to get the 64 bit version for $10 then maybe it would be worth doing.

15. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    But he has 4GB of RAM, and he can't use it unless he uses a 64-bit OS.

I say go for it, the more people use 64-bit, the more support we'll get.

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    Actually in a 32bit OS it's irrelevant. Because a 32bit OS can only allocate 2GB for any one task. So the difference in how a game performs for instance with 3.5GB or 4GB is there will be no difference in a 32bit OS, because the game is only going to be given a max of 2GB of memory anyway. Yes I'm aware of the 3GB ini switch that you can edit in the registry, but unless a game or app is coded to take advantage of it in a 32bit app, it won't ever know the extra memory is there. And very very few apps are coded like that in 32bit.

17. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

If a game uses all 2GB, then I think it would make a little difference. There are other processes that also needs RAM.

I don't know how many apps have been compiled to use 3GB, but they wouldn't need to be coded with special APIs, only a flag needs to bet set in the image header. Visual studio comes with a tool, editbin, that you can use to set the flag yourself

18. L33t Masta

L33t Masta Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    Oh yea. Go 64 bit. The "sweet spot" for Vista to work like XP is apparently 4 GB of RAM. If I ever get that high I'll be switching over to a 64bit OS on the spot. I already paid Microsoft their $10 for a 64 bit version even though I don't use it.

19. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    The "sweet spot" for Vista currently is 2GB. The real "sweet spot" is actually 3GB (in my case) for Vista Home Premium 32bit. So if you were to switch over to 64bit "on the spot" I would assume you have all the necessary drivers needed and know which of your programs have 64bit versions available for your upgrade? It's easy to say but if you look into it that's not usually the case.
    Anyway my reasoning for 3GB being the "sweet spot" for Vista is how Vista allocates ram, which is different than XP. If you have 2GB+ ram Vista can use up to 1023mb of your system's ram for graphics (minus whatever your video card has) leaving 1GB for the rest. So that's why I have 3GB in my system instead of 4GB which is more cost effective as 1GB is not "wasted" for lack of a better term.