RT Vista UAC Workaround

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by FlyingHorse, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I'am using the workaround with the TaskScheduler since switchwing to Vista.
    But I recently started overclocking my card and the OC settings won't apply after a reboot. I tried to create a OC'ing profile and add this via the /L: command line to the startup options but it still refuses to work.

Any suggestions?

2. feadin

feadin New Member

I use RivaTuner mainly for overclocking so I replaced the /T parameter with /S to update the clock frecuency. That way RivaTuner won't stay resident and just adjust the gpu clocks at logon. If you use any other RivaTuner setting you may want to keep the /T parameter and just add another action to the task with the /S parameter.

Hope it helps ;)

And btw, thanks FlyingHorse for the guide!!!

3. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    Are you sure that you are running RT as Administrator when you set your overclocks? Either right click the RT shortcut or do as I suggest in Post #4.

That's about the only thing that I can think of. Let us know if that fixes things.

4. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    For me this method works in RT 2.02 as well.
    BTW I have modified Post #1 in order to eliminate some System Event log errors that I was getting.

5. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Yes, but it does not help, nor a reinstallation of RivaTuner does. Seems like the only way is disabling UAC or apply the overclock manually after every system start.

I have also noticed a wired behaviour of the program. When I check the Driver Settings -> Overclocking Tab and press OK, RivaTuner creates a startup in the msconfig even if all the "Apply at startup" or "Run at startup" boxes are unchecked. Using ForceWare 162.15.

6. FlyingHorse

FlyingHorse Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD Graphics
    @eRa`
    I can't imagine why OC'ing does not stick for you. Configuring everything as I've outlined above and with my OC looking like:
    [​IMG]

My settings stick. Perhaps if you re-set RT back to defaults and go through the procedures again step by step? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful :confused:

BTW the registry entry you see in msconfig.exe is normal and should be left alone.

7. feadin

feadin New Member

That startup command is "Rivatuner.exe /S"
    Did you try to replace the /T parameter with /S in the task you've just created?

I did that and removed the startup command from LOCAL_MACHINE\[...]\Run in the registry. Worked out just fine...

8. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    RivaTuner didn't start up at all with /S, I switched UAC off for the moment. Maybe it's the driver but I'll keep the 162.15 because of performance.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're misunderstanding things, it is not supposed to start GUI with /S. /S is a command line switch for RivaTuner's startup daemon entry (i.e. the routine appying all startup settings including the clocks then unloading RT from memory).
    And feadin absolutely correctly mentioned that this command line switch is the correct way to go.

10. feadin

feadin New Member

That's right, RT won't start and stay resident with the /S parameter, it will only adjust clock speed and quit. Check clock speeds after a restart and they should be overclocked ;)
    If you also want to keep RT resident use two actions in the task, one with /S and one with /T parameter. But it's not necesary to keep it resident if you only use it for overclocking.

11. feadin

feadin New Member

It's nice to know I wasn't so crazy after all :)

Thanks for making RT Unwinder!
    I don't know if anybody already suggested this, I suppose so but anyway, it would be very useful to have a little 3D window to stress the card so we can check the maximum temps while overclocking ;)
    The only app I found that does this (in a window) is atitool, but didn't like the interface...

12. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Yep, I have this two actions running in the TaskScheduler since I use RT also for a fan profile:
    "C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.02\RivaTuner.exe" /T
    "C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.02\RivaTuner.exe" /S

But it just does not apply the oc settings, funny thing is if I run it through msconfig autostart it does work and it uses exact the same command line options.

For stress testing your card RTHDRIBL is the way to go.

13. feadin

feadin New Member

Sounds like a user privilege problem... are you sure the "Run with highest privileges" option in the properties of the task is enabled?
    You can also try starting RT with the /S parameter first...

BTW I'll try that soft for stressing the card, thanks for the tip!

14. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    Whats UAC Exactly?

15. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    UAC.

I switched the variable in the RivaTuner registry from 0 to 2 and it finally works now, thanks for all your help guys.

16. HamidFULL

HamidFULL Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 700/2200
    Thanks a lot :beam:

17. That's weird, I am able to run RT at Winows startup ('Run at Windows startup' option is enabled under the Settings tab) with UAC on having done only the first two steps of this tutorial. Btw, I'm on Vista x64.

18. MaraST78

MaraST78 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTS 640MB
    Nice tutorial FlyingHorse. But before i do it, does that also work in x64 Vista?

Thx

19. MaraST78

MaraST78 New Member

GPU:
    POV 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes, I tried that and it actually works with no problems. I also just changed the DWORD to 2 and altered exe.manifest leaving RT to load on startup via settings tab.

Thx for saving my time HE :) Maybe x64 users are advantaged here? :)

BTW, i have RT 2.02

20. Brama

Brama Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080ti
    Applying the complete procedure to Vista32 works like a charm but in my PC it disables the control panel and every system utility.
    Deleting the new rivatuner entry from scheduler and even uninstalling rivatuner, doesn't solve the big problem.
    I had to recovery with a backup :(
    Very, very strange.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.